「R.I.P」My First Planted Tank - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 12-01-2012, 11:43 PM   #31
Kathyy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

A+
All that studying up is going to pay off now, looks great. Plants are good, not too hard to grow and in good scale to the size of the tank, hardscape looks good and love the way you put all the hardware to one side. Good move.

Old 12-01-2012, 11:44 PM   #32
dastowers
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

Your tank has lots of great energy. Wonderful job!
Old 12-01-2012, 11:47 PM   #33
iter
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
A+
All that studying up is going to pay off now, looks great. Plants are good, not too hard to grow and in good scale to the size of the tank, hardscape looks good and love the way you put all the hardware to one side. Good move.
Thanks, studying can be hard sometimes when you don't know where to start . I didn't select too many species due to simplicity (yes, I don't have collectoritis yet ). But I am worried a bit about the glosso as I didn't really plant it correctly and some of it is emmersed.....
iter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 09:58 PM   #34
iter
Planted Member

After a water change, still a bit cloudy:

I have a question, those who used Seachem Equilibrium, is it supposed to be like sandstone which is hard but you can somewhat easily crush? Also, is it supposed to leave some grains which looks like silica sand that would not dissolve after adding it into the water? Thanks.
Old 12-02-2012, 10:30 PM   #35
iter
Planted Member

Here are the list of equipment:

Tank, stand, substrate, light:
-29 gallon tank 90cm (L)*30cm (W)*36cm (H). Both stand and tank are from craigslist for like 36 bucks
-ADA Amazonia (used two 9 liters)
-Hagen Glo 36" Dual-bulb with Giesemann Midday and Aquaflora

Filter, filter media, plumbing:
-Eheim 2215
-A output pipe from MarineDepot
-Seachem Matrix Carbon
-The Ehfimech that came with the filter
-ADA Bio Rio
-1/2" vinyl tubing

CO2, fertilizers:
-GLA Nature Beast Regulator
-5lb Cylinder from GLA
-Fluval bubble counter
-Seals
-Rhinox 2000. Its ceramic disc didn't function correctly so:
-Small powerhead with a venturi
-2 Brass check valves
-Fertilizers from GLA: KNO3, KH2PO4, Plantex CSM+B

Water quality, additives:
-Seachem Equilibrium
-Seachem Acid Buffer (our tap has a pH of 8+)
-Seachem Prime
-Seacehm Stability

Maintenance:
-UP Aqua Forceps
-Algae Pad scrubber
-Kent Metal Blades
-Hydor Seltz L20 (for water changes)
-Three 5 gallon buckets
-1 mega net, 1 medium net, and 1 fine net
-Curved Nature 6.5" Scissor
-Small 5" surgical scissors (my mom was a nurse, and the hospital got some extras)

Miscellaneous:
-API Master Test Kit
-API GH & KH Test Kit
-Mopani Wood
-Some stones from the sea

Extra notes:
-I use only tap water for now, but I do have a Reverse Osmosis unit at disposal
-The lighting in the pictures isn't really accurate, still trying to figure out the camera
-Photo-period is 10 hours
-Dosing EI
-Thank you Frank Wazeter for the inspiration to start this aquarium
Old 12-02-2012, 11:12 PM   #36
iter
Planted Member

Oh yeah, the plants:

List of plants:
-Glossostigma elatinoides (sadly over half of the pots came in emergent form. Yeah, lots of rot and unusable plants)
-Either Rotala indica or Rotala rotundifolia (can't really tell the difference)
-Hemianthus micranthemoides
-Cryptocoryne wendtii 'bronze/Tropica'
-Cryptocoryne wendtii 'green'
Old 12-03-2012, 10:20 AM   #37
iter
Planted Member

Got bored last night and decided to play around with the camera and got some fun ideas :

Oh, forgot to turn off the kitchen's light .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0070.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	115.1 KB
ID:	58168  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0072.JPG
Views:	45
Size:	145.0 KB
ID:	58169  

Old 12-03-2012, 12:15 PM   #38
brinks
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I like Anubias Barteri var. nana for a forground plant, no pruning required.
brinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 06:43 PM   #39
iter
Planted Member

Okay, 3rd Day!

There is so far no crypt melt, good . Either the crypts are already in submersed form or its just not happening yet.
The glosso is starting to take root and so are the crypts.
Can't really tell whats happening with the root system of the rotalas and the HM, but I assume they're okay since they're not dying.

Still tweaking around with the CO2. Can anyone recommend anything else for CO2 distribution? I am planning to replace the venturi with either a better pump or a different system (probably CO2 atomizers from GLA). Would like a glass diffuser but sadly there are no good cheap ones.

Feedback is appreciated!
Old 12-03-2012, 09:14 PM   #40
iter
Planted Member

Oh no, found a lot of hitchhiker bladderworts .
Old 12-05-2012, 01:31 PM   #41
iter
Planted Member

Day 5-No algae seen, plants recovering from shock (the planting didn't go so well). Slowly dosing the macros and micros, and still trying to find a temporarily CO2 distribution method. So far it is a venturi.

Current conditions of the plants (sorry, bad at pictures):

Glosso is spreading runners!!!

Hemianthus is starting to perk up, it stopped getting browned leaves

I don't know yet if the rotala is growing, but I do know that it is not dying because I discovered last night that the crowns of the rotala close.....HOW FREAKING AWESOME IS THAT? Since I am pretty sure dying plants won't do that, they look to be fine, though they are still twisted from the shipping.

Need to organize the leaves of the crypt greens when their roots get established, or else I have to replant them again which is not my favorite task. The crypt bronze are doing fine, beginning to see some sprouting leaves!

A random picture

What do you guys think? Any thoughts?
Old 12-05-2012, 02:40 PM   #42
Kathyy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

For right now you could move the power head so its outflow adds to the Eheim's outflow, might move the CO2 around the tank better. Or not as pretty but reflects what the ADA tanks do and put the powerhead on the other end of the tank low so the water from the filter flows across the tank and down then the powerhead continues the movement and pushes water back to the filter's intake. Right now the powerhead's outflow might be pushing against the filter's flow pattern.

The only stem plant that has straightened out for me has been Persicaria Kawagoneanum. All the rest curve after a day of no light and I have to wait for new growth before they look right. Annoying.

I would tell the vendor that there was a lot of bladderwort on your plants. That is not good. Good that you picked it out, it can be difficult to get rid of.

See if you can push the white stems of the glosso down without messing anything up, it should root there.

Looks good, like your arty photos too!
Old 12-05-2012, 04:12 PM   #43
iter
Planted Member

Quote:
For right now you could move the power head so its outflow adds to the Eheim's outflow, might move the CO2 around the tank better. Or not as pretty but reflects what the ADA tanks do and put the powerhead on the other end of the tank low so the water from the filter flows across the tank and down then the powerhead continues the movement and pushes water back to the filter's intake. Right now the powerhead's outflow might be pushing against the filter's flow pattern.
First of all, well, the pump is only 60gph (not a lot). I placed the it there because the CO2 rises up and gets picked up by the filter's output flow. But I will try the suggested .

I am currently feeding CO2 into the inlet of a 180 gph pump (this is just an experiment). It works WONDERFUL, got a nice bubble saturation. The downsides are that this is a 180 gph pump and everything is bending right now. Another thing is that it is LOUD when the CO2 gets into the pump. We are actually trying to fix our previous Rhinox diffuser, which could first of all be a lot more aesthetically pleasing and silent . In the end I might just get a GLA Atomizer for the sake of less hassle and really misty bubbles.
Old 12-05-2012, 06:48 PM   #44
iter
Planted Member

The things that work and the things that didn't work.

Work- CO2 on a 60 gph venturi pump is a good when it is under the filter output

Does not work- Rhinox Diffuser (ceramic disc didn't function properly), CO2 fed into a 180 gph pump (CO2 bubbles were just what I needed, but a dust storm was not)

Conclusion- In the future I would almost surely get an atomizer, it is relatively cheap, makes micro bubbles, and shouldn't be as loud as that 180 gph pump. The venturi would be the temporary solution.

Other things- Might get a small wavemaker since my filter's output isn't as strong as I hoped it would be. The reason is my tank is pretty long, but has a smaller water volume compared to tanks of the same size (it has a small width). The filter output would push water through the front half of the tank and then the wavemaker would do likewise for the back of the tank.

I also planted the glosso as Kathyy recommended, will see how it goes.
Old 12-06-2012, 01:04 PM   #45
iter
Planted Member

Well, day 5!

I have a problem.

The problem is that a weird brownish film is appearing on the cryptocoryne leaves and some on the rocks. It could be one of the two things: beginning of algae or Aquasoil dust. I thought about the Aquasoil because during the planting I had to replant twice (don't ask) and it probably created a lot of dust.

The other option is algae which I new it would come sooner or later . I did reassure myself that it is nothing like BBA, more so leaning towards diatoms since it is brown in color and makes a film. The reason it is causing trouble is because it basically covers the crypt leaves. There are probably some on other plants but the crpyts are easier to see on.

I'll post a picture or two later.

Aside from this, I can say that crowns of the rotala is showing new growth!! The glosso are really starting to get going, but it would still take a while to get the carpet. Crypts are sprouting new leaves. The HM however is still stagnant in growth, don't really know if it is dying or growing.

More importantly, when is a good time to add otos? As an extra note, I have to say that I currently have no access to any Amano Shrimps. They sometimes appear in petsupermarket, will be searching for some.