「R.I.P」My First Planted Tank - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 10-14-2012, 11:09 PM   #16
iter
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)

Okay, I raised the substrate as much as possible and somewhat changed the proportions of the two main areas. Any thoughts?

[/URL]

Plants in the background: The main problem is that for some reason, I only have access to 2 green stem plants!!
Those are rotala nanjashen (which I like very much) and Hemianthus micranthemoides (which I have seen pictures of them growing very tall and bushy). I might incorporate a couple redder hue ludwigias to go along with all the green.

Plants in the midground: Haven't really decided yet, but probably going to go with some crypts, since they do give an interesting effect when they tower over low foreground plants. Tenellus might also be interesting, they could be good in between the "path" between the 2 rocks on the right. Hairgrass might be too "fuzzy" in combination for the plants that I plan to get.

Plants in the foreground: Glosso might be the main choice, since they are low growing and unlike HC, they grow faster. The only problem I have with carpet plants is that I don't have a curved trimming scissor, only a straight one, but trimming would come later and I would have time to decide if it is worth it (the curved trimming scissor I mean).

As a side note, I really want to somehow use hygrophila pinnatifida, is there any way I could incorporate in to this layout? They might look good by the rocks. This is just a suggestion, for no matter how cool that plant is, if it doesn't work then there is no point getting it.

Keep the feedback and reviews coming!!!
iter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2012, 11:19 PM   #17
Inkedsphynx
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Looks much better! Like the way the substrate elevates towards the back now. Also think the driftwood looks much better standing in that position

I think hygrophila pinnatifida would be a great plant to ring the back side of the right-most rock. Not sure how tall your tank is, so it might require some trimming towards the top if it gets too tall, but would add a nice darker color and also create a bit of a screen for that back corner, which would be useful for hiding an intake/heater and providing a sheltered location for fauna.

Hairgrass is cool, but I think it works best in a tank that's designed to be "grassy" as a theme. I've got some in my tank, but I think it's going to get swapped out for HC.

Depending on what carpet you go with you should have plenty of time to decide if the curved trimming scissors are worth it. I'd say they are, if you're going to have this tank for any length of time.

Why the limited access to background plants? Is that all you can get locally? Keep in mind there's many other great resources for getting your hands on plants. There's the RAOK/Trade forums here, online retailers like LiveAquaria or Aqua Forest Aquarium, or even things like Craigslist.
Inkedsphynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 11:55 PM   #18
iter
Planted Member

Thanks, I think it looks a lot better too!

As for the background plants, what I am trying to get hands on is rotala sp. "green" which I think it would do best in this tank. I am constantly checking the "FS/Trade" section on this forum for rotala stems. All the plants are ordered online, Florida (more specifically Orlando) is the worst place for planted aquariums. Those 2 plants aren't the only ones there, but they are the two I think would be good to practice trimming on, since they can get real dense and compact. I might also add ludwigia arcuata and other redder plants to have some red shades too.

As for other places to buy plants, liveaquaria has the issue with shipping fee, and their stock of plants are more or less equal to other non-shipping-fee heavy stores. As for AFA, I got my aquasoil with a shipping fee of $40, so I do not want to know the fee for live plants.

The main goal is to have all the plants come at one time, so I can start immediately when they arrive so there won't be any stressed plants who are waiting for others to arrive.

Sooner or later I would have a planting plan using Paint to show everything.

Chime in on this everyone!!!
Old 10-15-2012, 12:12 AM   #19
Inkedsphynx
Algae Grower

Yea, I know what you mean about the shipping fees. I'm actually doing a big order from LiveAquaria in the next few days. Lucky for me, I wanted to pick up a bunch of fish that I can't find locally as well as some plants, so I decided I'd just go with LiveAquaria, as what I want totals just over 225$, so I get the free shipping (well, paying 3$ extra for overnight on the plants).

If you know any other people in the hobby in your area you could always try to put together a group buy

Definitely check craigslist in your area too. You may not find people listing plants explicitly, but if you see people selling off freshwater setups that look like they were planted, you can always message to see if they have any plants they could sell, or even some stem cuttings you could get.

I'm sure you'll be able to find some stuff though. Oh, could always try Ebay too! If I had any plants that were all that interesting I'd offer some cuttings or stems of mine, but thus far I've only got the run-of-the-mill stuff like Anubias, Wisteria, Hairgrass, Microswords, etc.
Inkedsphynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 12:19 AM   #20
Mike1239
Planted Member

Second scape is better take the wood out and I think it will be even better
Mike1239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 02:24 AM   #21
iter
Planted Member

Well, at least 2/3 of the wood is going to be covered by the stem plants, so it will create some sort of tension, as we can't clearly see the whole piece.

Plus, I need some things to minimize the space for the plants. This is because I don't have anything more to replace any "empty spots." Besides, I like wood .

But I will post a picture soon with the wood out, just to see what happens.
Hey, this is my first time, I'm open to ideas!!!!

Oh BTW, I have an Anubis barteri var. nana. Just got it 2 years ago for fun, now this thing is HUGE!!! Where do you think it would be a good spot to put cuttings of it?
Old 10-15-2012, 04:30 AM   #22
Mike1239
Planted Member

There is nothing wrong with empty spots
Mike1239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 03:25 PM   #23
iter
Planted Member

Just took the wood out to see what happens.

Sorry, a little blurry and forgot to turn off the flash:

What I feel about this is that this tank is not an iwagumi, the 2 areas on the sides are going to be filled with stem plants, so they need something (such as the wood) to transition from the midground to the background. I would probably put the wood back, but thanks for the suggestion anyways.
Old 10-18-2012, 12:29 AM   #24
iter
Planted Member

I have finally decided on the plants!!! This was an effort that took three days.

Here is a picture of the hardscape to help picture this:

The right side would have rotala rotund. in the corner, with a small amount of HG next to it. The "aisle" the 2 rocks to the right makes are going to be planted with cryptocorynes (still checking which ones are available), trying to get a hold of wendtii brown. The front right side would have some tenellus.

The main foreground would be glosso.

Rotala rotund. will be again used on the left side corner, with Ludwigia arcuata in front of it, without it touching the glass. More cryptocorynes are going to help the transition by being in in front of the wood.

Here is the actual map:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

What do you guys think?
Old 10-18-2012, 01:38 PM   #25
iter
Planted Member

Any thoughts on the plant selection? Anyone? If not, then I'm going to start soon.
Old 10-18-2012, 02:53 PM   #26
microw
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)

I'm liking it. The wood looks really good up like that. Also, your scape has a really nice line to it, it draws me right into the center.

I'm new to plants, so I'm not much help there.
Old 10-18-2012, 05:52 PM   #27
iter
Planted Member

If you go deeper, this should be where the eye would take:

The arrows pointing to the right looks weird right now, but when I add crypts in between the rocks the arrow would then work.
Old 10-18-2012, 07:58 PM   #28
iter
Planted Member

Found my fish inside my Fluval in the tank where I am temporarily putting them. I literally went insane trying to revive them. There all fine now and I put a screen over the intake since I forgot to add one since I started that temporary tank.

SO SCARY!!!
Old 10-28-2012, 03:01 AM   #29
iter
Planted Member

Wasn't able to do anything with the aquarium for a while, but did complete something yesterday: Completed hanging my light fixture!

This is what it looks like (it doesn't look blue in real life):

All that is left is to order my plants!!!! Finally!!!!!!!

Last edited by iter; 12-01-2012 at 10:19 PM.. Reason: camera
Old 12-01-2012, 11:36 PM   #30
iter
Planted Member

Default The Beginning

After 1 year of researching planted tanks, 3 years of fish-only experience, 9 months of planning, and 10 hours of preparation and planting in all-nighter mode, I started this:

This tank would be somewhat based off of Frank Wazeter's method for his Mini M thread here.

Will post supplies and equipment after I rest from last night's planting.

Speak your mind! Post anything (hopefully useful )! Feedback wanted!