20-gallon long dirted tank
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 11-06-2013, 03:38 PM   #1
sombrerobanana
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

20-gallon long dirted tank

Hey, guys, thought I'd start a tank journal for my 20 gallon, since I just switched substrates (yay dirt!). Here's a before pic of my tank...

I got sick of the ugly Flourite and the terrible hardscape, so I decided to scrap the whole thing. I got rid of all the naja grass and Italian val as well. That driftwood isn't going to make it into this tank, but the java fern and Fissidens will.

Here we go!

All clean. Surprisingly, scooping all the substrate out and cleaning it only took about 20 minutes. Probably the fastest step.

Miracle Grow Organic potting soil. I didn't sift it. Left the wood chips in. We'll see if that was a terrible mistake or an awesome decision. Didn't really have enough to make all the slopes and stuff I wanted, so it's just kinda flat.

You can kinda see that tiny little slope I managed to get in there.

My pretty awful looking hardscape/planting job. It's all petrified wood (thanks, nvladik!), so that's pretty fun. I have a nice piece of driftwood for the left side, I just have to soak it.

That's it so far... I'm doing a dry-start, so we'll see how that goes. All I have in there for plants right now is some hydro japan, the only two surviving stems of glosso from my prior tank, and some Fissidens fontanus on the rocks. *sigh*

The petrified wood scape looked so much better in my head. It's really disappointing. I still have a TON of little pieces. I might clean some more sand and make that hill higher, and then put a ton more going down it. I think that'll look pretty cool with the hydro japan climbing down.

Probably going to try and pick up some crypt. flamingo... JK. I'm not made of money. Definitely going to try and get some sort of crypt, however. Something red, hopefully. Don't have a lot of reds in my tank. Maybe some Bacopa caroliniana, too. So many options!

Updates to come. I'll keep you guys posted.

Last edited by sombrerobanana; 11-15-2013 at 04:30 PM.. Reason: grammar
sombrerobanana is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2013, 10:56 PM   #2
sombrerobanana
Algae Grower

Update. Rescaped the tank with some more sand. Here's a FTS:

I'm loving this scape so far. I'm sure that I'll redo something at some point, but for now I like it.

That's the right side of the tank.

That's the little valley in the middle. I'm going to try and make it look like a little riverbed with some pebbles. Just gotta find some.

That's the left side. Apparently that little speck of dirt took the focus of my camera, so you can't really see the two tiny stems of glosso back there.

I started the driftwood soaking. Not quite sure where I'm going to place it yet. It'll be somewhere on the left side of the little valley.

Also, my plants are really limp. I'm assuming this is from going from submersed to emersed, but I'm not sure. Any advice?
Old 11-06-2013, 11:07 PM   #3
Aplomado
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)

Well, I'd add a lot more hardscape... your hills of sand will probably flatten out.
Aplomado is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 11:16 PM   #4
sombrerobanana
Algae Grower

What would you suggest?
Old 12-30-2013, 04:58 PM   #5
sombrerobanana
Algae Grower

Went out and bought 20 pounds of petrified wood from Old Orchard Aquarium. I've got tons in my tank now. I'll put up some pictures once I get around to taking some. :P

Put some driftwood in, too.