Fish for 70F Water?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 11-03-2012, 04:48 AM   #1
GuppyGuppyGuppyGuppyGuppy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

Fish for 70F Water?

I have a five gallon tank for Madagascar Lace that is cycling in my greenhouse. It is a greenhouse for highland tropical pitcher plants, Nepenthes. 50-60F at night, 70-85F during the day ideally. The tank has a lid and a heater. It stays about 70F during the day and night during winter, and probably will be 70F at night and 85F during the day during summer. The tank gets natural sunlight, but not too much during the winter and it is under 50% shade cloth during the summer. I have a filter on it that is maybe 50-75gph.

What kind of fish can I put in there other than guppies, mosquito fish or anything that most people wouldn't want? I already have guppies and I don't want cold water fish. Maybe a small schooling fish like neon tetras, would that work? How many could I put in a five gallon and keep the waste down? I don't want the tank to get messy because algae will grow easily in a tank outside. If the water or sand gets messy, then the bulbs of my Madagascar Lace will rot like they did in my 29g inside that got messy.

What fish would you recommend?
GuppyGuppyGuppyGuppyGuppy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2012, 05:10 AM   #2
Diana
Planted Tank Guru

I would look into the semi tropical or temperate water fish, rather than tropical, if the temperature will get into the lower 60s. There are a few tropical fish that will tolerate temperatures into the upper 60s, but not much lower.
The high end in the summer is also a worry. If a fish can handle the upper 60s it is rare that it will also tolerate the 80s.

Here are a few cold water ideas:
Platy (a single male or maybe 2, but this is not good. They are social fish)
Rosy Barb (a single fish, but, like Platies, these are social, and a larger tank and more fish is better) Other Barbs that you might see listed as cool water fish, similar comment. Not enough room in a 5 gallon, and some Barbs nip plants. You sure do not want that with a Lace Plant!
Darters and Gobies- look into native fish, and check the laws about catching them. In some areas non-game fish are all counted as 'bait' and you can catch and keep them. In other areas this is not legal. Most of these need more water movement, too. High oxygen water.
Hillstream Loaches are NOT a good idea, though you may see they are suggested for cool water. They really need more water movement for higher oxygen.
OK, here is one for you to research:
Florida Flag Fish. A single, perhaps male (more color).
http://www.fishbase.org/summary/Jord...-floridae.html
MAYBE: other Killiefish??? I am not really into these, so you will have to do your own research.
There are quite a few Cories that will be fine into the lowest 70s, and a few as low as the mid 60s. Research at Planet Catfish. They are social, so the only way to have a good group in that small a tank is to go with the smallest species. There are several, but I do not think they are tolerant of the colder water. There is a really good search engine over there, but of course it just covers cats.

Sorry, it looks like it is coming down to Mosquito Fish. That is just too great a temperature range for most fish.
Diana is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2012, 03:23 PM   #3
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (441/100%)

Could you add a fan to the tank to help keep the temperature down in the summer?

If you do that and use a heater when necessary, that would greatly open up your options.
somewhatshocked is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2012, 03:52 PM   #4
yyankeeyankeefan
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

having a 5 gallon tank is very hard to stock. i would suggest a betta in that size tank. using a fan and heater when needed. most tetras need schools and lots of swimming room as they are active. mollies as well. have you thought about endlers? i know....very similar to guppies. maybe you can turn your 5 gallon into a freshwater shrimp/crab/ or crawfish tank?
yyankeeyankeefan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2012, 05:24 PM   #5
Robotponys
Planted Tank Obsessed

White Cloud Mountain minnows, rosy red feeder minnows, maybe otocinculus to clean up algae?
RAOK Club #31

The Fraternity of Dirt #96

Looking for free easy trimmings. (Pennywort, moss, terrestrial, aquatic, emersed, etc) So PM me maybe.

My tanks-->http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=187460
Robotponys is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2012, 07:00 PM   #6
LB79
Wannabe Guru

Apistogramma borellii. Awesome little cichlid. Super beautiful, peaceful (for a cichlid), able to stand the cooler temperature, and easy to breed.

–Boromir, The Lord Of The Rings
LB79 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2012, 07:04 PM   #7
cookymonster760
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (59/90%)

Dont know if anyone has,said it but how about killifish they have tons of colors
cookymonster760 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2012, 09:31 PM   #8
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by yyankeeyankeefan View Post
have you thought about endlers?
Good idea, I like those... But I probably won't because they're so similar to mah gupgups.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LB79 View Post
Apistogramma borellii. Awesome little cichlid. Super beautiful, peaceful (for a cichlid), able to stand the cooler temperature, and easy to breed.
I'd love to, but they look hard to find and expensive. I think $10 a fish is a good limit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookymonster760 View Post
Dont know if anyone has,said it but how about killifish they have tons of colors
Yes! Yes yes yes! I completely forgot about those. I'll go around to a few local shops within the next few months (maybe around Christmas) and buy some of those. How many do you think I could have in the tank if they are small ones? Can I get a m/f pair?
GuppyGuppyGuppyGuppyGuppy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2012, 05:39 PM   #9
m00se
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

I just got a batch of American Flag fish and I am quite happy with them!
m00se is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2012, 06:11 PM   #10
dbl_dbl17
Algae Grower

Pics!
dbl_dbl17 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2012, 06:40 PM   #11
Monster Fish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)

Requesting pics of your nepenthes plz
RAOK Club #77|The Fraternity of Dirt #112
Monster Fish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2012, 02:37 PM   #12
m00se
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

They're about an inch long!
m00se is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2012, 03:31 PM   #13
ducky14523
Algae Grower

Everyone forgets paradise fish. Heteranda(?) formosa are also cool little live bearers that breed slowly and kind look like submarines.
ducky14523 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2012, 12:18 AM   #14
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster Fish View Post
Requesting pics of your nepenthes plz
Check out my topic here, filled with pics, updated often... My Highland Greenhouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbl_dbl17 View Post
Pics!
Here are the three madagascar lace in the tank... Producing their first leaves!

This one is REALLY cool... IT IS FREAKING PURPLE!

And here's the green ones... Meh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m00se View Post
AWWW! SO CUTE!

I think I might get like a betta or a sailfin molly, something pretty and flashy.
Old 11-11-2012, 05:53 AM   #15
Monster Fish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuppyGuppyGuppyGuppyGuppy View Post
Check out my topic here, filled with pics, updated often... My Highland Greenhouse
Wow! I am so jelly! Very nice looking nepenthes. I wish I had a greenhouse. I think I'll just stick to sarracenia and drosera though.
RAOK Club #77|The Fraternity of Dirt #112
Monster Fish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.