Upgrading lights on 38 gal (36x12x19)
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 10-13-2012, 07:47 AM   #1
aspensandoaks
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Upgrading lights on 38 gal (36x12x19)

Hello everyone, I was just looking for some opinions on upgrading my lights on my 38 gallon (36x12x19)

Currently I have a DIY hood with 2 x 24 inch AH Supply PC lights (with 50:50 6700:10k bulbs) which are working great.

They are raised 2-3 inches above the tank but they are staggered like:

---======
======---

- no bulb
= bulb

This provides me the exact lighting that i'm looking for, and I have no algae issues.

However, the staggered layout means that my fixture is about 9 inches wide, and on a 12 inch tank it blocks most of the top.

I was looking into 3 options:
1- catalina 36" x 2 bulb fixture
2- Finnex Ray 2 x2
3- DIY led

What I'm thinking about each of these options:

Catalina - good price, I've never had a t5ho fixture but i imagine i'd like them like my AHSupply lighting. They are a little skinnier, but would this provide higher lighting? ie would i be able to raise them higher than my current fixture to achieve the same light

Finnex Ray 2 - I have the 24" fixture on my 20H and I really like the fixture, but I have pistia sp and would most likely need 2 fixtures to match my current lighting

DIY led - I have the materials to make a 35" fixture, 20 xp-g crees, 60 deg optics, but I have some cold feet switching my tank over to LEDs and having to make something aesthetically pleasing for my living room

I know that the 60 degree optics should provide adequate lighting and I have the option to dim... but I'm worried about spotlighting my floaters

So to summarize: I like the catalina because I can switch bulb types to have some control over color temp, the finnex ray 2 because they are beautiful but two fixtures would be in my upper price range, and the DIY would be a lot of work

Thanks if you read my babble, and many thanks for any feedback!
aspensandoaks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2012, 04:53 PM   #2
Wasserpest
Are these real?

PTrader: (176/100%)

What is so bad about the fixture blocking the top? If you get a slimmer fixture, the very front and very back might not be as evenly lit as now.

Is this an open top tank that you want to observe from above?
Wasserpest is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2012, 05:14 PM   #3
aspensandoaks
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Yes it is an open tank, with essentially a wooden rectangle holding the lights that is propped up on 1.5 inch legs above the tank, I would like something that I could raise up higher (~6 inches) and receive similar lighting and be able to observe the floaters better
aspensandoaks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.