My Nothing Tank
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 10-12-2012, 06:55 PM   #1
mommabear1007
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)

My Nothing Tank

This started out as a back up/QT/hospital tank for what was once believed to be a sick angel. I don't think it's sick tho, I'm not sure that it ever was. Please don't scold me for keeping an angel in a 10 gall. It's only about a year old and this is a temporary home.

I call this my nothing tank because I do nothing to it. No fertilizer, no co2, no water changes. I top it off when it needs it, but otherwise, nothing. It has a desk lamp over it, i believe it's a 24 watt cfl 5600k that's on about 5 hours a day. It was about 4-5 inches over the surface of the water, i've raised it up as high as i can which is probably closer to 8-10 inches above the surface now. It gets some (very little) indirect sunlight. There are five fish, one angel and four neon tetras.

I've filled it with trimmings (limnophilia, hydrocoytle, and ludwiga - not sure exactly which species) from my 29 gall that does have co2 and ferts. I tied the hydrocoytle to pieces of thread superglued around river rocks for DIY plant weights to make the carpet effect.

The plants seem ok in the 10 gallon, but when i added some plants and moved some around yesterday, I noticed they don't have much of a root system. I believe they have grown some, tho. I also noticed BGA beginning to form on some of the limnophilia and DW.

The BGA i had in the 29 gallon awhile ago before I added the 2nd filter, before I used ferts, before i had co2, was so bad I had to tear down and start over. But I want to keep this tank low tech.

I've read low nitrates, poor water circulation, and imbalance of light and nutrients will encourage BGA. Do you think that little desk lamp is too much light for no ferts and no co2? This seems kind of impossible but I raised it anyway. I have some liquid ferts, flourish comp and leaf zone. Would just once a week be sufficient? Should I worry about macros? I also have some HOB filters lying around I will add for extra circulation.

Any other thoughts?
Attached Images

Advertisement

Old 10-14-2012, 02:27 AM   #2
Hilde
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommabear1007 View Post
This started out as a back up/QT/hospital tank.

I also noticed BGA beginning to form on some of the limnophilia and DW.

I have some liquid ferts, flourish comp and leaf zone. Would just once a week be sufficient?

Any other thoughts?
Not bad!!

Try a siesta period of 3hrs on your light time. Something like 4hrs on/ 3hrs off/ 4hrs on. It helps build up the Co2 in the tank - Diane Walsted. Since I have done that I don't have algae problems. Also might think of getting some Seachem excel.

You have easy plants thus 1x a week is fine.

Last edited by Hilde; 10-14-2012 at 02:30 AM.. Reason: adding text
Hilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 02:51 PM   #3
mommabear1007
Planted Tank Obsessed

thanks! thats good to know about the siesta period. problem is i'm really only home (and awake) for about five hours a day during the week so i'm not sure how easily i could pull that off, but i can certainly try some type of variation of that. i did add the HOB filter and started dosing the leaf zone, just to use it up. I have some excel but I'm using it in the 29 to spot teat BBA. I'll see what it does and take it home if i need too, just didn't want to mess with this one every day.

We got a new kitten and I've been noticing it drinking the fish water. Could this hurt the kitty or the fish?? I have a lid but it blocks out most of the light so I don't use it but I could at least during the day when the light isn't on or at night when i'm not there to keep the kitty away.
Old 10-16-2012, 04:30 PM   #4
GMYukonon24s
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

Nice looking tank

MIAPG - Come join us - Plantedtank - MI - Greatlakesaquaria
GMYukonon24s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 06:17 PM   #5
theshadybird
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)

I think your kitty (and the fish) will be fine, my two cats at home regularly use the 20 gal as a water dish, haha. I only think it will be harmful to your kitten if you are medicating the tank for some reason, in which case I would definitely suggest keeping some form of lid on the tank. Great tank though!
Old 10-16-2012, 06:24 PM   #6
Kathyy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

Get a timer for the light, that simple. 5 hours may be fine for the BGA but limiting the plants a bit. I would dose the tank once a week with the Leaf Zone and try out Hilde's method for a few weeks.

Pretty and restful tank. Limnophilia left alone is very pretty.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:04 PM   #7
mommabear1007
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMYukonon24s View Post
Nice looking tank
thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshadybird View Post
I think your kitty (and the fish) will be fine, my two cats at home regularly use the 20 gal as a water dish, haha. I only think it will be harmful to your kitten if you are medicating the tank for some reason, in which case I would definitely suggest keeping some form of lid on the tank. Great tank though!
huge relief, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathyy View Post
Get a timer for the light, that simple. 5 hours may be fine for the BGA but limiting the plants a bit. I would dose the tank once a week with the Leaf Zone and try out Hilde's method for a few weeks.

Pretty and restful tank. Limnophilia left alone is very pretty.
the light is on a timer. a cheap timer that will turn it on and off but not several times a day like the more expensive ones will. is that what you meant? i tried to google hilde's method and couldn't find anything relevant. can you suggest a link or something more specific to search? and thanks!

i appreciate all of the compliments. seems like when i'm not trying very hard it turns out better than when i am trying.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:14 PM   #8
theshadybird
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)

The timer I use for my Betta boy's light is a Brinks analog timer, which you can set for different times of the day (his is on from 9-noon, and 4-10), and I got it for only about $4 at Walmart. Here it is at Home Depot for a little bit more.
Old 10-16-2012, 09:01 PM   #9
mommabear1007
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshadybird View Post
The timer I use for my Betta boy's light is a Brinks analog timer, which you can set for different times of the day (his is on from 9-noon, and 4-10), and I got it for only about $4 at Walmart. Here it is at Home Depot for a little bit more.
seems do-able, thanks!