Water Change Using Distilled Water And Equilibrium
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fertilizers and Water Parameters

Old 10-10-2012, 11:00 PM   #1
Django
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

Water Change Using Distilled Water And Equilibrium

I have a KH of 3 that's driving up my pH. KH was 2. So, to reduce the current KH of 3 to 2, for my 10g, I need to do a ~3 gallon water change with distilled water.

I don't want to reduce all of the other hard elements so I will add Equilibrium to the distilled water.

I've never done this before, so please tell me if I'm thinking this right.

Thanks.
Django is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2012, 11:52 PM   #2
Jeff5614
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (52/100%)

Equilibrium won't change your KH, if that's what you're wondering.
Jeff5614 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2012, 02:16 AM   #3
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (75/100%)

The pH that results from a KH of 3 degrees instead of 2 degrees isn't something to worry about. And, 3 dKH is a good level for the tank anyway, so no need to adjust it at all.
Old 10-11-2012, 05:43 AM   #4
Django
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
The pH that results from a KH of 3 degrees instead of 2 degrees isn't something to worry about. And, 3 dKH is a good level for the tank anyway, so no need to adjust it at all.
Any ideas why my pH is 7.6? Tap water is very high, 9.3, maybe higher after degassing. The only things I put in the tank are Equilibrium with water changes and Seachem Flourish Comprehensive, and I have used Root Tabs. Substrate is big natural gravel. I can't understand why the pH is so high. Tap is obviously high but do they use carbonates and bicarbonates - that would show up in KH. I'll look at the MWRA site again and see if I can find out.

http://www.mwra.state.ma.us/monthly/...ata/092012.pdf

Thanks.
Old 10-11-2012, 06:35 AM   #5
mistergreen
No more Bow ties

PTrader: (13/100%)

The report says they alter the water's ph and it looks like it has big amounts of calcium in it.my guess is they're running it through limestone, calcium carbonate.

Look at the hardness too. It goes from 7 ppm raw to 13ppm.
mistergreen is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2012, 09:32 AM   #6
Django
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks MisterGreen. The water is very soft. I add Equilibrium to bring up the hardness to 5.

I got some advice to just leave things alone and I'll hope pH goes down. Funny, huh? But without other methods, that's what I'm going to do. Thanks for all your your suggestions.

Oh, I did a 50% water change last week. Seems that that would move levels towards tap. Nitrates were lower than they have been lately too. Thanks.
Old 10-13-2012, 01:45 AM   #7
Diana
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

I have water similar to yours.
GH and KH out of the tap are usually 4 German degrees, though it can vary a bit.
pH is usually the upper 7s and often enough is into the 8s. One aquarium keeping friend measured it at 9.0 a couple of summers ago.

The local water company adds sodium hydroxide. There are other things that your water company could be adding. Call them an ask. That is how I found out about my tap water.

If you can remove whatever they are adding, then the pH ought to come down.

Try these ideas:

Filter some tap water through some commonly available things and see if it helps. The easiest way is to put some water in a 5 gallon bucket with a bubbler or small fountain pump and some of any one of these materials. Test at the start, then about every 12 hours. If there is no change in 24 hours, then the material is not doing anything to help you.
Peat Moss: Garden store stuff, but watch out for fertilizers or surfactants. Put a generous handful in a nylon stocking.
Any of the *sorb sort of filter media, such as cupri-sorb, phos-sorb and so on. While each one seems quite specific, in fact each one may adsorb other materials, too. (These are pretty expensive if you have to start using them to prepare the water for every water change)
Any of the Oil-Dry sorts of materials. These products have very high cationic exchange capacity, but do not adsorb all minerals. They might help with this problem, though. I have many tanks with Soil Master Select, also some Turface and Safe-T-Sorb.
All these tanks show this response: The substrate removes the KH (per tests) and allows the pH to drop (per tests). But I think that if the sodium hydroxide was still in the water the pH would not drop so much. I think (but have no way of testing) that the substrate is also removing the sodium hydroxide. Maybe it will remove whatever the water company is adding to your water? These products do not alter the GH, so do not adsorb Ca or Mg. Put them in a nylon stocking, too. I have no idea how much will last how long, though. Perhaps a cup or so in 4-5 gallons of water?
Diana is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.