Please help. something is out of whack!!!
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fertilizers and Water Parameters

Old 09-22-2012, 10:48 PM   #1
triggergun
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Please help. something is out of whack!!!

75Gal. Water parameters:

GH 120
KH 10
PH 6.6
NITRATE 5
NITRITE 0
AMMONIA 0

Lighting Catalina t5H.O. 1 6500 bulb & 1 10k bulb on for 10hrs/day 18" above substrate.
Co2 Appx 8-10 BPS ...drop checker is lime green...

Ferts:"basic EI dosing with some tweaking provided by a member "
Plantex csm + b 1/2 tsp tues, thur, sat
Nitrate 3/4 tsp wed, fri, sun
Phosphate 1/8 tsp wed, fri, sun
50% water change on Mon.
Root tabs as needed

Heres the problem: My rocks are covered with brown algae, my plants are very thin and sparse and the tops have green thread algae. My HC will not grow. It turns brown and dies off. All the plants are browning on their edges and the anubias are getting holes in them. What am I doing wrong???? Thanks!

triggergun is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2012, 12:21 AM   #2
AlyeskaGirl
Algae Grower

I'm sorry about your plants.

Are they growing or slowed down?

Do you have a Iron test kit? Phosphate test kit?

I see Micro Deficiency. I'd increase your CSM+B dosing.

Your Nitates is on the low side I'd increase to get it up to target range 10-20ppm or 20ppm would be good.

You said you have holes in your Anubias.....are they pinholes and start to get bigger. Pinholes is Pottassium deficiency. Increasing KNO3 would help. If more is needed then dosing K2SO4 for extra K. I dose K2SO4 as my fish load provide enough nitrates.

You need to cut back the dying leaves and plants and increase fertlizers.

Use a toothbrush to work at getting the hair algae off.

That brown algae sounds like Diatoms. You need to rub it off your plants.
AlyeskaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 03:49 AM   #3
triggergun
Algae Grower

double post
Old 09-23-2012, 03:53 AM   #4
triggergun
Algae Grower

Increase the plantex? I already doubled it from what EI recommends. And I probably need double my nitrate? That would put me above what is recommended for a 120 gal tank! I'm not doubting you, I just don't get why my tank requires so much ferts. By the way, I didn't mention the the original post but my tap water is 8.0 and 0 kh and 0 gh.

to answer your questions: Yes -growth has slowed ALOT
No -I have no way to test Fe or Phosphate
Old 09-23-2012, 05:34 AM   #5
AlyeskaGirl
Algae Grower

I am dosing 2 teaspoons CSM+B into my 55g 3x a week to overcome Micro Deficiencies and 1 teaspoon of K2SO4 for Pottassium deficiency. My plants are consuming that much iron right now!

EI dosing doesn't work for my tank.

3-4 weeks ago i noticed my plants growth was slowing down, especially my stem plants, and things just weren't looking right. Felt like my hard work was going down hill. I then realized after I started injected CO2 in the middle of June that I didn't adjust fertz. I was pruning my Wisteria and Bacopa a few times a week, then all of sudden things started slowing down. No algae issues. But immediately got help from my mentor.

My dosing has actually turned things around. I may decrease later if uptake slows down. It's just to get them what they need. I've also added new plants; more plant biomass = little more fertz adjusting.

When you increase/decrease light, adjust CO2 +\- and more plant biomass then fertlizers need to be adjusted.

I hope you get things turned around. It can be gut wrenching seeing our plants struggle and trying to figure out what is missing.
AlyeskaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 06:09 AM   #6
happi
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (20/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to happi

how is the circulation/filtration??

do not dose more than EI, EI doses are enough for the extreme light users.

try this:

3x week
1/2tsp KNO3 (bit more)
1/4tsp Phosphate

3x week
1/4 tsp csm+b
extra Fe

before anything else i would check how you are diffusing the co2 and how the water circulation.
Old 09-23-2012, 06:13 AM   #7
happi
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (20/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to happi

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlyeskaGirl View Post
I am dosing 2 teaspoons CSM+B into my 55g 3x a week to overcome Micro Deficiencies and 1 teaspoon of K2SO4 for Pottassium deficiency. My plants are consuming that much iron right now!

EI dosing doesn't work for my tank.

3-4 weeks ago i noticed my plants growth was slowing down, especially my stem plants, and things just weren't looking right. Felt like my hard work was going down hill. I then realized after I started injected CO2 in the middle of June that I didn't adjust fertz. I was pruning my Wisteria and Bacopa a few times a week, then all of sudden things started slowing down. No algae issues. But immediately got help from my mentor.

My dosing has actually turned things around. I may decrease later if uptake slows down. It's just to get them what they need. I've also added new plants; more plant biomass = little more fertz adjusting.

When you increase/decrease light, adjust CO2 +\- and more plant biomass then fertlizers need to be adjusted.

I hope you get things turned around. It can be gut wrenching seeing our plants struggle and trying to figure out what is missing.

this is crazy amount of doses of csm+b, 1/4 tsp is more than enough for your tank, even that is more than EI recommendation.
Old 09-23-2012, 06:25 AM   #8
triggergun
Algae Grower

My filter is a fluval 305 "recommended for 40-75 gal. I point the out flow up for some surface movement and also, use a small power head to help blow the co2 around. I diffuse the co2 using an Ista max "the large one" inline with the filters return .

Last edited by triggergun; 09-23-2012 at 06:41 AM.. Reason: Added content
Old 09-23-2012, 06:33 AM   #9
triggergun
Algae Grower

Happi, I did dose exactly what you recommended for about 1 month. My plants were actually worse than when I was just using flourish. I then got on here for advise and it was suggested that I increase the kno3 and double the plantex. I have been doing this for 2 weeks and yet seen any change. I
Might add, my tank is lightly stocked right now: 45 cardinal tetras, 3 mollies, 3 danios and 3 -2" plecos.
Old 09-23-2012, 07:22 AM   #10
Aquaticfan
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by happi View Post
how is the circulation/filtration??

do not dose more than EI, EI doses are enough for the extreme light users.

try this:

3x week
1/2tsp KNO3 (bit more)
1/4tsp Phosphate

3x week
1/4 tsp csm+b
extra Fe

before anything else i would check how you are diffusing the co2 and how the water circulation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by happi View Post
this is crazy amount of doses of csm+b, 1/4 tsp is more than enough for your tank, even that is more than EI recommendation.

I agree 100% with Happi on both these posts. EI dosing is plenty. and dosing way more then that is not needed.
Sun Sun pimp #72
RAOK CLUB # 68

Conway
Aquaticfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 07:29 AM   #11
triggergun
Algae Grower

If EI is plenty,what am I doing wrong? I definitely have enough light, my co2 as indicated by my drop checker is fine BTW my drop checker is on the back glass in the middle, approx 6" below the surface. That would only leave a nutrient imbalance right? I'm lost!!!
Old 09-23-2012, 07:37 AM   #12
ylot77
Algae Grower

I don't know if this helps, but this type of stagnation happened to me once. My tank was absolutely jampacked with plants, and the circulation was almost nil. I had also made an auto-doser for my ferts a few weeks earlier. I tossed the auto-doser, switched to Seachem ferts (and followed their instructions) and Seachem Excel (and overdosed it for a while) and really whacked back all my plants. With a few waterchanges and a few days things were back to normal. I still do my own ferts, but I keep some Seachem stuff around for when I decide to change things up a bit and end up screwing things up.

I knew that something I had been doing had resulted in a long term failure. So I just rebooted my aquarium, basically. Whatever I had done wrong was undone by redoing all my tinkering.

The Lonely Botia
ylot77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 07:40 AM   #13
Aquaticfan
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggergun View Post
75Gal. Water parameters:

GH 120
KH 10
PH 6.6
NITRATE 5
NITRITE 0
AMMONIA 0

Lighting Catalina t5H.O. 1 6500 bulb & 1 10k bulb on for 10hrs/day 18" above substrate.
Co2 Appx 8-10 BPS ...drop checker is lime green...

Ferts:"basic EI dosing with some tweaking provided by a member "
Plantex csm + b 1/2 tsp tues, thur, sat
Nitrate 3/4 tsp wed, fri, sun
Phosphate 1/8 tsp wed, fri, sun
50% water change on Mon.
Root tabs as needed

Heres the problem: My rocks are covered with brown algae, my plants are very thin and sparse and the tops have green thread algae. My HC will not grow. It turns brown and dies off. All the plants are browning on their edges and the anubias are getting holes in them. What am I doing wrong???? Thanks!

You have high light in your tank. The Catalina fixture you have with good bulbs in it would be able to grow about anything even at 24" tall. When you have high lighting you have to remember more light means plants can do more work. If they can do more work it makes things more demanding.

I would raise your light some if possible. Somewhere around 20 to 24" above the substrate. Then reduce the photo period to 8 hours not 10. When you do your water change, remember your doing a reset. I do a 80% water change with my EI dose once a week. Looks like your not doing all the things needed of your dosing. Id add potassium and Iron.

If your testing for nitrate and its only at 5ppm, then you have something very wrong as thats way to low. Either your test was off or your dosing is off. I dose 3/4 to 1 teaspoon of KNO3 on mon/wed/fri with water changes on sunday of 80% and my KNO3 is over 100ppm. This is on my 90 gallon that I run a similar light fixture as yours but with 4 bulbs and thats at 30" above the substrate for 9 hours a day with pressurized Co2. On the days I dose nitrate I also dose potassium and Phosphate. On the other days, Sun/Tue/Thur I dose CSM+B (or millers microplex depending on what ive got at the moment.) As well as I dose at the same time my iron. 11% chellated @ 1/8 teaspoon and my Glut. I run my C02 pretty high via my custom reactor. My drop checkers are bright yellow. I use my fish as a guide to how much is enough not the BPS nor the drop checker. Also be sure to have good flow through out the tank. I use my drop checkers more to make sure ive got good flow in the tank more then anything.

Your plants look lacking in nutrients.
Sun Sun pimp #72
RAOK CLUB # 68

Conway
Old 09-23-2012, 07:45 AM   #14
Aquaticfan
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggergun View Post
If EI is plenty,what am I doing wrong? I definitely have enough light, my co2 as indicated by my drop checker is fine BTW my drop checker is on the back glass in the middle, approx 6" below the surface. That would only leave a nutrient imbalance right? I'm lost!!!

Drop checkers are INACCURATE.... Its a useful tool that can help guide you. BUT not the end all of it that you have enough Co2. Push your Co2 until your fish stress. Then back it off a hair and let them recover. be sure to have a good ripple across the surface of the water. Gas exchange is important and good for the plants and fish.

Again I think you have to much light even with EI dose and to long of a photo period. get around 8 hours. More light means more work done by the plants. This causes excessive use of nutrients.
Sun Sun pimp #72
RAOK CLUB # 68

Conway
Old 09-23-2012, 07:46 AM   #15
Aquaticfan
Wannabe Guru

Are you dosing dry ferts or liquid ferts? What root tabs do you use? how long has this tank been running established?
Sun Sun pimp #72
RAOK CLUB # 68

Conway