One of my Otos are pregnant!!
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 02-28-2012, 10:41 PM   #1
charms
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

One of my Otos are pregnant!!

Ok I got 2 little otos from my lfs about a month ago. One of them is now definitely pregnant! I really don't know anything about them - other than that their cute and always busy busy!! So should I feed them anything specific? Or be doing anything for the expectant momma? Setup is a 10g lightly planted. The 2 otos share the tank w/ an apple snail and a Betta.
Is the Betta or the snail.gonna eat the babies? OH! And what do the babies eat? Also do the babies also eat algae? I've been putting algae tabs in cause I don't think I have enough for them. Lol. Any help/tips are appreciated!

Look at her belly!!
(These are phone pics but that belly... Its huge!!)

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk
charms is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2012, 11:06 PM   #2
DesmondTheMoonBear
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/80%)

Otos don't get pregnant, lol. They spawn. Requires good conditions (I hear they like it somewhat acidic to spawn) and of course males. She looks gravid but it can also be bloat, kinda hard to tell from the pics but if there's an orangish tint or hue to her belly it eggs. Otherwise a belly that big is bad.

EDIT: And if you do have a spawning pair, the betta will most certainly eat the babies and the applesnail might suck down the eggs. Babies eat what their parents eat. Are you supplementing them with veggies?
DesmondTheMoonBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 11:09 PM   #3
charms
Planted Member

See?? Told ya - I know nothing!! lol. I'm not 100% sure but I'm not seeing an orange tint. What's the plan if its bloat? Will she die? She's eating a lot and seems a lot more... active than usual too. Almost like frantic from one place to another.

Old 02-28-2012, 11:39 PM   #4
DesmondTheMoonBear
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by charms View Post
See?? Told ya - I know nothing!! lol. I'm not 100% sure but I'm not seeing an orange tint. What's the plan if its bloat? Will she die? She's eating a lot and seems a lot more... active than usual too. Almost like frantic from one place to another.

As long as she's active and eating she should be fine and it's most likely eggs. Maybe pick up a couple more otos, some will be males, you can have a nice little breeding group.
Old 02-28-2012, 11:46 PM   #5
charms
Planted Member

How many is ok for a 10g?I do not want to be overstocked, and what would I even do w/ a bunch of babies!? I don't think I have any algae left either. Can I supplement other foods for them?

Old 02-28-2012, 11:54 PM   #6
thefisherman
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (12/100%)

not trying to hijack but... is my otto ready to pop too?! :O

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1330476829.246548.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	43055

- thefisherman

The Fisherman's Workbench
thefisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 12:16 AM   #7
charms
Planted Member

Yay for hijacking! Lol. Yea that's also a huge belly!! I've only got 1 other in the tank and am.not sure if its a male so who knows how this'll play out. Babies would be cool tho. I don't wanna become overstocked tho.

Old 02-29-2012, 12:21 AM   #8
thefisherman
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by charms View Post
Yay for hijacking! Lol. Yea that's also a huge belly!! I've only got 1 other in the tank and am.not sure if its a male so who knows how this'll play out. Babies would be cool tho. I don't wanna become overstocked tho.

its soo funny cuz i just noticed her last night i wasn't sure if she was just bloated :O we'll see what happens i guss its a full house in my tank... i fear babies will end up snack food

- thefisherman

Old 02-29-2012, 12:22 AM   #9
aweeby
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (37/100%)

separate your otos from other fish! i had baby otos in a community tank once, but they didn't last very long, even in a really heavily planted tank. I don't even keep anything marginally dangerous, either.

could be wrong, but fisherman, imo yours just looks like she pigged out.
Old 02-29-2012, 12:23 AM   #10
DesmondTheMoonBear
Planted Tank Obsessed

I've kept 5 adults in a 10 gallon, but that's as far as I would go. Not sure about babies...mine love blanched zuccini.
Old 02-29-2012, 12:32 AM   #11
thefisherman
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by aweeby View Post
separate your otos from other fish! i had baby otos in a community tank once, but they didn't last very long, even in a really heavily planted tank. I don't even keep anything marginally dangerous, either.

could be wrong, but fisherman, imo yours just looks like she pigged out.
lol ya shes a plumper what could she be eating tho? i've never fed veggies or wafers ever and theres hardly any algae in my tank lately... i guess there is a reason! :O

- thefisherman

Old 02-29-2012, 12:38 AM   #12
HypnoticAquatic
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)

that is not bloat that is a otto thats ready to go!! if you use the search button there are a few photos of them i posted one of mine a while back its 100% fine they just are little fish that look huge when gravid.
HypnoticAquatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 12:40 AM   #13
charms
Planted Member

I don't know what's going on. Now both otos are zipping back and forth, from one plant to another... Both kinda staying behind each other which is new - they usually kinda do theory own thing so.. I have them in w/ a Betta and an apple snail - who keeps flattening a few of my plants -- bastard is pushing me!!- So I'm thinkin if the eggs do hatch they'll most likely get eaten :-\

Old 02-29-2012, 12:41 AM   #14
aweeby
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (37/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefisherman View Post
lol ya shes a plumper what could she be eating tho? i've never fed veggies or wafers ever and theres hardly any algae in my tank lately... i guess there is a reason! :O

- thefisherman

I'm rooting for her! But pigginess is a good thing too, survival of the greediest, you know how it is. and ahaha, your tank looks immaculate. Mine does not. lol. I want to see how this turns out!
Old 02-29-2012, 03:25 AM   #15
garfieldnfish
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)

If I were you, I would find the beta a mason jar for a few days to see what happens with the oto. The apple snail might eat the eggs but most likely not all of the them and once they hatch, the snail will be no danger to the fry. But 2 mason jars would fix that problem as well. I am keeping my fingers crossed for both of you.
20g L174/L46/RCS/hastatus/pygmy corys, 10g OEBTs, 10g blue bees, 10g CRS, 15g L316/L46/Amano shrimp, 10g yellow rili, 15g ADFs/clown plecos, 25g L134s/CPDs/otos, 29g Weitzmani/panda corys/zebra otos, 46g CAE/L134s/CPDs/salt and pepper corys/BNs, rubberlip pleco, 55g SAEs/L201s/L199s/BNs/kissing gourami, 75g L316s/BNs/mix of old fish folk, 30g L340s/L211/black darter tetras/CPDs/micro rasboras,10g tangerine tiger shrimp, 20g L134/habrosus corys/RCS
garfieldnfish is online now   Reply With Quote