EVO light vs MarineLand Reef vs Finnex Ray2 vs Marineland DoubleBright vs Single Brig
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 10-12-2012, 04:17 AM   #1
concepts88
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (9/100%)

EVO light vs MarineLand Reef vs Finnex Ray2 vs Marineland DoubleBright vs Single Brig

So far, I have went through 5 types of lights for my 36 inch tank

Here are my breakdowns and opinion in case anyone else is interested in these lights

Marineland Single Bright 36 inch : This light is basically useless for the planted tank. It also is very direct. I would use it for a fish only tank, and if your tank is deep, you will still need 2 of these.

Marineland Double Bright 36 inch : This light is a great improvement over the Single bright. It is much brighter, but if you have a tank which is pretty high, I do not believe this can be used in a high tech setup. It MAY work for a low tech, but the light is quite direct, and you may need 2 of them

Marineland Reef 36 inch : This is the one without the TIMER. The one without the timer does not have the actinics. I bought this for $229.00 or so from DR FOSTER on sale, regular price was $349.00 or something like that. It is VERY bright, and this light alone with the Double Bright had the plants directly under this light pearling. It also has a WIDE SPREAD which means there is something with the optics of the LED, I believe they put a magnifier or something on it, to spread out the light. However, for my tank, it still wasn't covering the back of the tank very well, and the plants in the back of the tank refused to grow or pearl.

I then tried to save some money and I bought the EVO 36 inch light off Ebay (you know the one). I looked like an exact Marine land knockoff right? Well, except for the fact that it has a power supply like a laptop, and the heatsink ran a lot hotter than the marineland reef.

HERE IS THE KICKER, this EVO light is supposed to be 3 watt LEDs. Supposedly my Marineland Reef is 1 watt LEDS. When I put the light side by side, I believe the Marineland Reef is a lot brighter than the 3watt EVO. Also, the beam on this light was SUPER DIRECT. I am not kidding you, my friend has the same light, and it shoots STRAIGHT DOWN. It doesn't go anywhere off to the side other than where it is sitting on top of. You probably want the light go cast a light towards the back and the front of the tank also, not just where it sits on top off.

With the EVO, the plants in the back did start to pearl, but there was still a dark shadow in the very back of the tank (because this light was so direct)

Next, I bought the FINNEX RAY2 (I know, I should have just bought another Marineland Reef) --

The build quality on this unit is phenomenal for the price. It looks nothing like the Marineland, it has a nice housing, and it actually looks different from their own product photo. I loved the way the mounting brackets worked, and it uses 2 dense strips of LEDS. It is VERY compact and slim. I think it is about half the size of my marineland reef 36.

This slimness awarded me the ability to keep all the lights on top of my tank and still have room run in my Do!Aqua Lily Pipe (how nice)

The quality on the Finnex unit is top notched. I am very impressed by it. Finnex goes by PAR value, and I put the light on top of the tank and it was able to cast a wide output.

This email from Finnex: "Our Ray ll and FugeRay light fixtures has a 120 spread."

This is true, because it was able to light up the entire tank by itself when it was in the middle of the tank. I believe this light actually has a wider spread than the Marineland Reef 36 inch.

However, when I turn on the Marineland, I could tell that the Reef light was just "slightly" whiter in color. I do not know if this is a good thing or a bad thing.

So right now, I run a Finnex Ray 2, and a Marineland Reef, and I use my doublebright as a moonlight.

If I were do it again? Because of the slimness, I may consider buying "3" RAY2.
concepts88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2012, 02:57 PM   #2
trailsnale
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

Hi,

Do you get any 'shimmering' from the FR2 ?

Thanks,
trailsnale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 04:37 PM   #3
concepts88
Planted Tank Obsessed

Hi, I cannot comment on this because I keep the water on the top of my planted tank very still, barely any movement.
Old 10-16-2012, 05:04 PM   #4
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

PTrader: (174/100%)

Concepts88, thanks for the input. im shopping for better lights than the ones i have and your experience is very helpful to me.
Old 10-16-2012, 05:14 PM   #5
concepts88
Planted Tank Obsessed

I posted new comparison shots in the finnex forum
Old 10-16-2012, 05:21 PM   #6
Michael M
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

In my own personal experience I found the Ray2 36" DS to be pretty powerful on my 40B.. I have to raise mine up about 6 inches for my aquarium. The algae was growing rather fast in my low-tech set up with it resting on top of the aquarium without being propped up.

Finnex stuff is really awesome for the price/performance.
Michael M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 12:36 PM   #7
Dodiesel
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Wow this thread just answered all of my questions. I was considering all of the exactly same lighting fixtures. Almost went with EVO, glad I didnt. Thanks! FugeRay it is! One question tho, do you think one assy is enough for an 18" deep tank with substrate being about 21" from the surface of the water? My 90 gal. tank is 48x24x18

Last edited by Dodiesel; 11-16-2012 at 12:38 PM.. Reason: Added question
Dodiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 01:14 PM   #8
jbrady33
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)

I have 2 fugerays (seperate tanks) and lots of water movement - TONS of shimmer effect! Looks great.

The light on the reef looks "whiter" because it has more blue in it, probably 10,000k plus light. The Ray2 is around 7,000k, a lot more natural light - look at your plants with each one, under the Ray2 they will be much more green, under the Reef they will be a little washed out but the water will appear "whiter", sort of a glare effect.

I have the Fugeray so I can simulate the same effect by turning the blue moonlights on or off. It is totally personal preference, if you want the bright glaring white reef style light the Ray 2 comes in 10k + actinic also, but the 7000k is better for your plants.
Old 11-16-2012, 06:24 PM   #9
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (74/100%)

We tested a Finnex Ray II, 16 inch light, at our local aquatic plant club meeting 2 days ago. It was very impressive, especially because of the very wide spread of the light with little PAR reduction. We measured about 22 micromols of PAR (low light) at about 24 inches from the light. That makes it a great choice for low light, low tech tanks, even high tanks. The PAR readings in http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=189944 can be trusted.