Bones as decoration? - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 10-12-2012, 03:54 PM   #16
NWA-Planted
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

Awesome let us know!

Sent from a dark corner in my happy place
Sump Pimp #8
RAOK Clubber #28
NWA-Planted is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2012, 09:33 PM   #17
lochaber
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

I think any skulls cat/racoon sized would last a while, possibly years, depending on what chews on them. When I've found them in streams, they have been pretty thoroughly covered with moss/algae. I imagine it will get covered with algae pretty quickly in the aquarium, but maybe not.

Smaller, like rabbit/ squirrell and stuff would probably get chewed up/fall apart a lot quicker.

I've coated/filled skulls with epoxy resin before (but not used in aquariums). It's better if you have a mix with a long cure time, so that it can soak into the bone.

I don't know about silicone, I think it would start to fray and peel off in sheets after a while.

If you put a turtle shell in, I think it would be a really good idea to coat it with resin - they tend to fall apart after a little while
lochaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:42 PM   #18
BBradbury
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Default Bones as a Tank Decoration

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshadybird View Post
Try as I might, I cannot find any information on using bones (turtle shells, skulls, antlers, etc.) in an aquarium. I can imagine that with overly soft water it might be a problem, or if it hasn't been properly cleaned and there is still dead flesh on the bone (ew), but what about a cleaned, preserved bone?

I personally have several sets of antlers that I have a feeling could look AWESOME in a tank, especially if I could get some moss growing from it. My home is in the middle of nowhere, so I tend to find a lot of them 'round spring time ^^. Also, theoretically, might be something good for my poor apple snails to chew on, since their shells have been looking kind of rough.
And just imagine a turtle shell cave! Moss that baby up, and you have a mossy hill even a hobbit would envy.

So guys, whatcha think? Worth the risk, or too much trouble? Anyone do anything of the sort before?
Hello the...

I wouldn't recommend putting the real thing in your aquarium. Water dissolves everything and could create some water chemistry problems. If you like the look of these kinds of things, I'm sure your could find similar items on the internet made of a material that would be safe for our tank.

B
Old 12-11-2012, 12:11 AM   #19
theshadybird
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)

Hey guys!
Just in case you're interested, I now have a small antler tree in my tank :]

Went home, found one of our smaller, less impressive racks and sawed this sucker off. After some thinking, I ended up throwing caution to the wind and putting it in there au natural, partucularly since this particular piece is a good three or four years old now and has sat next to the wood burning stove every winter, pretty much ensuring it was as dry and inert as it possibly could be.
Tied to it is a bit of flame moss and one other mystery moss. Since putting it in about 2 weeks ago, it's went through a very driftwood-like phase of thick, clear fuzzies, but those disappeared almost overnight in the past two days, coincidentally right after I put in a single apple snail. Otherwise, all my params are stable, and the fish pretty much ignore it :]
FTS:

I'll keep you updated!

Tags
bone, bones, decoration