Anybody keep their tank at eye level?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 05-03-2015, 05:38 PM   #1
chinaboy1021
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

Anybody keep their tank at eye level?

Hi guys,

Anybody keep their tank at eye level (ie. 4 foot stand)? I'm not so much concerned about going up a ladder to do maintenance. Is there any issues with light leakage from a hanging light at that height?

THanks
chinaboy1021 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2015, 06:01 PM   #2
treyLcham
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (15/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaboy1021 View Post
Hi guys,

Anybody keep their tank at eye level (ie. 4 foot stand)? I'm not so much concerned about going up a ladder to do maintenance. Is there any issues with light leakage from a hanging light at that height?

THanks
i think the reason for not doing this is because not many people want to see a 4ft tall stand which would probably be way way way taller than the actual tank is making the whole picture looks off. My stand is 36" tall and to me, i wish i had made it 32" tall instead because the tank to stand ratio isnt balanced that great since my tank is only around 21inch tall.
treyLcham is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2015, 06:59 PM   #3
PhysicsDude55
Planted Member

Both the stands I've built were around 4' tall (44" I believe).

I prefer to be able to be able to look at the tank without leaning over, and I think taller stands with full canopies look more "majestic". Just my personal preference.

My 55g stand that I built was a little rickety, it did make me nervous sometimes, but it never fell over or even really got close. I had it set up for about 4 years, plenty of drunk people leaned on it, my cat used to jump on top of the canopy, etc. etc., no issues.

My new 105g stand is sturdy as a rock, and I did anchor it to the wall, but it wasn't really necessary. It mostly just helps the tank not "rock" so much when I'm maintaining it, which causes my auto-top off to freak out.

I can barely reach the substrate with my hand without getting on a step stool, but if I'm doing some serious plant trimming/maintenance/planting, then I'll get a step stool. Not a big inconvenience at all really.

Both my setups had/have full canopies, so no real light spillage, but could be a factor if you have a free hanging light. With the right optics, I don't think it would be an issue.

Here's my current setup. Its bigger than it looks in the pictures, the top of the canopy is ~6'8" tall, and the tank is 7' wide. The wallspace the setup takes up including the shelves is 11 feet wide.

Another minor issue is that kids can't see into the tank... I have to get the step stool back out when my nieces/nephews come over.

EDIT: Wanted to also add that the height of the tank makes it incredibly easy for me to do water changes. The bottom of the tank is higher than my kitchen sink drain, which is about 10 feet away, so I can just siphon tank water directly down the sink.

Last edited by PhysicsDude55; 05-03-2015 at 08:34 PM.. Reason: added information
PhysicsDude55 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2015, 07:25 PM   #4
theatermusic87
Planted Tank Obsessed

I like the look of an eye level tank. At least the one i have at my desk which is more or less eye level.

If you're not looking for a huge eye level tank you could always go with mounting it on a shelf. I am having all sorts of issues finding the pictures I wanted to link, but there are some stunning examples, as long as you keep the weight of the tank managable.
Old 05-03-2015, 09:26 PM   #5
Raymond S.
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

I put a combination of cynder blocks and 1x4"and 2x4" wood under my 10g tank making the bottom of it 40.5" from the floor after the Petco "Brooklyn" stand in on top of that "rig" of support. The final outcome is that when I'm sitting in a dinning room type chair in front of it the tank is eye level. I look down to see the bottom and slightly up to see the top of the water. Also the one in the living room is at eye level also from where I'm sitting typing this as the chair in front of it is the same height as the one I'm in now.
Old 05-03-2015, 11:52 PM   #6
Ripkord
Algae Grower

I recently had a 10G on my counter that seperates the kitchen. The bottom of tank was about 4 1/2 feet high. Perfect hight for standing since i am 6' tall. My 20g is on a 30" stand. It is a good height for sitting.
Ripkord is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2015, 12:13 AM   #7
Bushkill
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)

I'm just about there with the 180G in the den. The stand is 44" tall.

The stand was originally built for a shallower tank I was going to build for it from scratch. But I found the 180G at a REALLY good price and decided to take the lazy route.

Light bleed can be an issue. Depending on the setting, lighting choice and your personal taste, a canopy is something to at least give thought to.

Maintenance is a snap, although from a two-step. For what this tank is, there's just no way I would deal with having to bend over to see what's going on. This tank is purely for show and I want it at eye level, and have no regrets at all.

"Why can't my wife see all of this stuff as an investment?"
Bushkill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2015, 12:16 AM   #8
creekbottom
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I have a 20 long sitting on top of some ikea furniture and with me being 6'1 it puts the tank at eye level. I love it, such a different perspective than my other tanks and it's the tank I watch the most. Water changes are a breeze cause it's high but working in the tank does require a stool. Your question about light leakage is valid. I have a finnex planted plus on top of it and it's raised fairly high so there is a lot of light spillage into the room.
creekbottom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2015, 12:20 AM   #9
nayr
Planted Tank Obsessed

Guess it depends on the room, my two tanks are in sitting rooms and look much more appealing while sitting.. my nano tank is actually on a metal ikea nightstand at the end of the couch, very low but its right at eyelevel when laying back and relaxing

I watch my tank alot and I prefer to have a seat and relax while doing it.

however Ive thought about knocking out the wall between my office and mudroom and putting a big tank right in the entrance, that would need to be eye level while standing for sure.

ps: my 4yr old son sure appreciates my low lying tanks..
Old 05-04-2015, 12:47 AM   #10
Kntry
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

I'm just finishing up my 38" tall stand for my 75 gallon tank. I was tired of having to get on my knees to look at the fish and shrimp.

I'm going to start a thread with the build as soon as I finish the stand. I ran out of stain and have to order it. The moulding across the top and at the bottom under the doors have not been stained so they look out of place.

The water is still murky because I had to remove all the substrate to move the tank but it is clearing up. I just got the filters running again last night.

I'm only 5'1" and the tank is now just over my head. I don't mind getting on a chair to clean it and trim. I'd rather be able to enjoy it at eye level.

Here's the old and new stands.
Fraternity of Dirt #160
75 gallon - CO2 injected
5 gallon tall cube - CO2 injected

Wish I had an entire room dedicated just for more tanks!

Last edited by Kntry; 05-18-2015 at 02:21 AM..
Kntry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2015, 01:08 AM   #11
Freemananana
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)

Mine is 30", which is eye level while sitting on the couch. Anything higher than that looked goofy when I was planning it out.
Old 05-04-2015, 01:32 AM   #12
Immortal1
Planted Member

Physicsdude55 - really like the look of your 11' wide setup. Pic below is my 11' wide setup. I went with a lower stand because, like Freemananana said, I like looking at things from the couch. FYI to the OP, I did have the 20 gallon on a much taller stand, but did not like getting out the step stool all the time.
Old 05-04-2015, 10:51 AM   #13
TINNGG
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to TINNGG Send a message via Yahoo to TINNGG

Mine is on a stock Oceanic stand. It's behind me while I'm on the computer so perfect for looking while sitting. It was in my bedroom where it was perfect to staring into and getting hypnotized into going to sleep - I occasionally would leave the original strip on for night light purposes.
Old 05-04-2015, 11:05 AM   #14
FishinGator
Algae Grower

My stand is 36" with a 30" tall tank on it, so the top of the tank is just below my eye. I love how large it makes the tank appear. Maintenance can be a pain, but I have a step ladder to help.
Old 05-05-2015, 05:22 AM   #15
m0nt3cr1st0
Algae Grower

Mine is at 42 '' in a diy wall divider at my bedroom. Im 5'7" so I have to get a stoll to reach the top to make water changes...but is perfect for the look I wanted..I had one side tinted for light leaking out, 30 % window tint help
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1430803134762.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	469969  

m0nt3cr1st0 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Location. As precise as you feel comfortable with.
Security Question
While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, John and his friend Sally both spotted a dalmatian inside of a truck with sirens. The animal with John and Sally is a _ _ _?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.