Lighting A 20L Low-Tech
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 10-11-2012, 05:40 PM   #1
TMF89
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Lighting A 20L Low-Tech

Alright guys, I've tried doing the research, and I'm still lost. I'm planning on turning a 20L I have into a dwarf cichlid tank with plants, and I can't figure out what fixture to go with.

http://www.amazon.com/Coralife-05618.../dp/B0009YHU2I

I would go with this one, but everyone keeps saying the 30 inch fixtures tend to burn out bulbs. I've heard the newer ones don't, but I'm wary on it anyway.

http://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-AquaSu.../dp/B0002DIRBY

I looked at this one as well but it only has 24" bulbs I believe, and I don't think they're staggered. I was told they'd leave shadows in the tank if they're not long enough or don't have open ends?

Finally here's an Aqueon light that I think would work. It appears to be dual bulb T5NO, with 36 watts total.

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ontent=Default

I don't have the money, the time, or the expertise to do more than dose liquid fertilizers and add root tabs at this point, I might be interested in DiY Co2 down the road (so getting a fixture with the ability to remove bulbs until I do wouldn't be out of the question), but for now I'm not looking to do any Co2.

I've spent time researching and everything I've found has been pretty general, but nothing specific on actual fixtures. So if anyone has experience with these fixtures, or 20Ls, PLEASE chime in, so I can order the right fixture, and get my tank set up ASAP! Thanks guys!
TMF89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2012, 11:27 PM   #2
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (441/100%)

Aqueon and Coralife are owned by the same company. Same fixture, different brand. I run several of them and have never had an issue.

The second fixture you linked is T5HO (High Output), which means you would no longer be in the low light range and would have to suspend the fixture quite a bit above the tank.

The T5NO fixtures you linked can be purchased for less than $40 from many retailers. I encourage you to shop around.

But if you're willing to spend $70, you could also consider a Marineland Double Bright LED fixture. Or even a Finnex LED fixture (that you'd have to raise above the tank a bit).
somewhatshocked is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2012, 12:18 AM   #3
TMF89
Algae Grower

Would a Marineland Double Bright fixture be good enough for mid-range (basically I'm looking to get the highest amount of light possible without Co2) lighting, and the proper color temp? Thanks!
Old 10-12-2012, 12:21 AM   #4
starrlamia
Planted Tank Obsessed

Depends on the plants you want. I use 1 t8, 24" bulb on mine and that is on the lowest end of the spectrum. For medium end plants the t5 no would be good. Like said above the t5 ho would push you into co2 territory.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk 2
starrlamia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2012, 12:36 AM   #5
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

The Double Bright fixture will put you in low light. I encourage you to use the search function here on the forum to see what others are using for their 20L tanks.

It sounds like the standard 30" T5NO fixture is what you're in search of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMF89 View Post
Would a Marineland Double Bright fixture be good enough for mid-range (basically I'm looking to get the highest amount of light possible without Co2) lighting, and the proper color temp? Thanks!
Old 10-12-2012, 12:49 AM   #6
TMF89
Algae Grower

I'll do some more research, thanks. And That's what I was thinking, preferably dual bulb (if it gets too much I can just remove one until I set up Co2). I'm just not sure which fixture to get. Thanks for the help guys!
Old 10-12-2012, 12:56 AM   #7
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

You probably won't be able to run the 30" T5NO fixtures without both bulbs.

If you've got too much light (you won't have too much - again, check some 20L journals out), you can always raise the fixture a bit above your tank.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.