New 20L adventure. Need advice. Pic intense
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 10-17-2013, 07:09 AM   #1
Beardie
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

New 20L adventure. Need advice. Pic intense

I've kept aquariums for as long as I can remember. Everything from a community tank to cichlids to a saltwater reef, but never much as far as plants. So this will be what I'm considering my first planted tank with the plants being the main focus.

I've been collecting plants here and there when I see something I like or get lucky enough to win a RAOK from the gracious community here on this forum. So I have some materials to start with, I just need a little help with the planning and identification.

Tank: 20 gallon long
Filtration: AquaClear 50 (is this enough flow for this long of a tank?)
Lighting: DeepBlue HE 2 x 14w T5 (7k and 10k) *Edit*
Heater: EHEIM Jager Aquarium Thermostat Heater 50W (in the mail)
Substrate: ADA Aquasoil Amazonia (first time using this ammonia machine)

Here are a couple picture of the hardscape before I filled the tank. It's two pieces of driftwood that I tried to make look like one. I'm really happy with the way they look in the tank. Big shout out to cwilson for donating the larger piece. (Large piece started floating so it has moved a bit since these were taken)

Here is the tank with its first round of planting. Excuse the phone photo. (flat rock on the right is just a wood weight for now)

Unknown anubias #1

Not sure what this is, it came as a freebee in a bag of snails that I got at the last GCCA swap meet. The rhizome broke when I was planting it in my 2.5 (waiting for this tank to be ready), but the roots have grown tremendously since then so it's looking really strong. The closest guess I have is anubias afzelii so we'll call this unknown anubias #2.

What I'm thinking is anubias barteri (unknown anubias #3), also a generous donation from cwilson

Java Moss stuffed into a hole in the wood. Thanks again amberoze

Unknown crypts #1 and some stray java moss, again from cwilson.

So that's where I'm at so far with the tank. Next post I'll show my other 2 tanks that are planted with everything I collected in anticipation of setting up this tank, mostly swap finds and RAOK wins. But first, a few questions.

Is the light I have strong enough for this size tank? As far as WPG it's on the low end but it's very close to the substrate since it's a short tank and the light sits on top of the tank. I don't plan on doing any CO2.

I have zero idea where to go with ferts for this tank. Was planning on picking up some Aquavitro envy and possibly propel if I think the plants need it down the line. But having zero experience with ferts I wouldn't even know if they did or not. Any input would be great.

Please ID my plants!

Last edited by Beardie; 10-17-2013 at 10:44 PM.. Reason: False info
Beardie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2013, 07:19 AM   #2
Beardie
Algae Grower

This is a FTS of my 2.5g which holds some dwarf sag, and unknown crypts #2. Both are possibilities to add to the 20. This tank was originally my betta tank, but currently holds my pair of apistogramma agassizii that I found at petco the other day (they got them in by accident and were charging $10 each, couldnt pass that up). They will be going into the 20 once the cycle is complete. I know the tank is too small for them but I keep a close eye on the water params and do frequent water changes. There is also a small clown pleco in here that will also make the trip to the 20.

Unknown crypts #2, please ID. Covered in wood mulm thanks to the clown pleco.
Old 10-17-2013, 07:33 AM   #3
Beardie
Algae Grower

Since my betta was freezing his fins off in his vase motel and I won a very generous RAOK from sieu004, I was forced (against my will of course) to set up a tank for them until the 20 was ready. I didn't want to put much money into it so I used an old 4g tank I had in the basement, some top soil, and some play sand.

From left to right..
FTS, watter cabbage???, and another piece of the unknown anubias #3 from cwilson. Probably won't put another of the same thing in the 20 so the cabbage is the only contender here.

Pennywort, rotala rotundifolia, and Guppy grass. All contenders for the 20.

Jack (the Ripper) had to show off a bit while I was trying to take pictures. He's quite happy in his current housing .
Old 10-17-2013, 07:38 AM   #4
twkoch
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)

Looking good! Really like your hardscape.
twkoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 07:42 AM   #5
Beardie
Algae Grower

All comments and critiques are welcome. I'd really like to hear everyone's input on how they think I should assemble this new adventure. I'll be making a few planting diagrams and would love if some of you guys did the same to help with ideas. For now I'm thinking the rotala will go to the left of the crypts, behind the wood. Possibly dwarf sag on the far left and unknown crypt #2 in front of the wood on the right. Not sure where to put the Pennywort, guppy grass, or the thing I called watter cabbage (pretty sure thats not it but somebody told me thats what it is :/ ), although they dont all need to go into this tank.
Old 10-17-2013, 07:43 AM   #6
Beardie
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by twkoch View Post
Looking good! Really like your hardscape.
Thanks
Old 10-17-2013, 05:30 PM   #7
TonyK
Planted Member

I love the driftwood. When you put more plants and the tank fills in it will look really good. Nice to see another Chicago area member.
Old 10-17-2013, 06:11 PM   #8
urbach
Planted Member

Your driftwood nice! Is your anubias planted in the soil or tied to a small rock. Rhizome have to be above soil if not it will rot over few month.[censored]As for ferts, you might want to look at N-P-K = nitrogen(N),[censored]phosphorus[censored](P), and[censored]potassium[censored](K) for better plants grow. Liquid co2 like Seachem excel if you are not investing in canister co2. 14w x 2 won't be enough. Get 18 watt or 24 watt (depend how high is your light from water level and minim 67k. Duration light on between 6 to 10hrs depend on the above. Control and monitor between your light on and dosing ferts. Lastly enjoy your aquascape and hope to see update picture in few months time.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk
urbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 07:02 PM   #9
Beardie
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbach View Post
Is your anubias planted in the soil or tied to a small rock. Rhizome have to be above soil if not it will rot over few month.
The roots are planted in the soil, and the rhizome above the soil.
Old 10-21-2013, 06:30 PM   #10
Beardie
Algae Grower

What would be a better way to attach the java moss?
Old 10-27-2013, 12:27 AM   #11
Beardie
Algae Grower

Hardware upgrades include the addition of the heater and digital thermometer. Current temp is at 82.4 so I'm turning that down a bit. Nov 3rd I'll be grabbing a 30" AquaticLife T5 HO dual lamp light fixture at the local swap meet from DogFish, thanks again. I believe it's 2x24w so that'll basically double the WPG in the tank.

Updated FTS

Moved the hygrophilia corymbosa to the right since I found out what it is, and that it will get taller. I think this will look a lot better and cover the gap where the wood doesn't touch the wall making it look more natural.

Split up some of my dwarf sag from my 2.5 and added that to the left back corner. Excited for it to fill in.

Added a few stems of rotala to the left of the crypts. Can't wait for both of these to fill in as well.

Now for some suggestions, which I hope I actually get some responses to this time.
1. What do you guys think would make a good medium height background plant between the dwarf sag and rotala?
2. Where do you think I should put my crypt lutea? I'm thinking to either side of the anubias barteri would look nice.
3. The java moss looks stupid in a big ball there, any suggestions on what I should do with it?
4. I went paintballing the other day and bought a new 12oz co2 tank since my old one was from 2003 and far outdated. Since I spent the money on it and will probably never use it again, is there a way I can use this tank to add co2 to my fish tank? What kind of regulator/equipment would I need to do this?
5. While I was picking up some fish food today I found a lonely little apisto viejita and couldn't resist grabbing him at the price of $8 since this is my favorite variety of apisto and I never see them around. Will this hardscape provide ample territories for 2 pairs of apistos?

Thank you in advance for any and all help. I really value the creative ideas from other hobbyists.
Old 10-27-2013, 01:38 AM   #12
Beardie
Algae Grower

Tank has been filled for 2 weeks now and I've just kinda been letting it do its thing since I know the Aquasoil causes an ammonia spike. I've only done one water change and will be doing another one tomorrow. Current water params as follows...

pH: 6.5
Ammonia: 1.0 ppm
Nitrite: ~.35 ppm
Nitrate: 5.0 ppm

I think most of this will go away after the water change and I'll be adding fish soon. I think they're quite eager to get out of the 2.5. I'll probably just add my pair of agassizi and clown pleco until it's fully planted and then add the viejita (hopefully a pair soon) and whatever kind of schooling fish I decide on. Thinking of ~12 Danio erythromicron and 6-10 Corydoras pygmaeus. What do yall think of that for fauna?
Old 11-02-2013, 05:49 PM   #13
Beardie
Algae Grower

Default Update 11-2-13

This tank is finally ammonia free! So happy to finally get my agassizii's out of the 2.5g. They're exploring all of the crevasses of the driftwood and happy to be out of each others personal space . Nitrites are also at a 0, nitrates 5 ppm, and ph stable at 7.5.

Now for some updated plant shots. Everything is growing, but not quite as fast as I'd like so I'm excited to get the new light at the swap meet tomorrow.

FTS

Lots of tiny crypt wendtii coming in.

Hygro is about double in size.

First new anubias coffeefolia leaf

This guy had a lot of brown spotted leaves that I trimmed when I moved it to this tank, but there are a bunch of new leaves coming in .

I'll now be deconstructing my 4g betta hotel so I have some plants to add. Hygrophila difformis, crypt lutea, and pennywort. Not really sure where to put them so as usual some suggestions would be great. Maybe I should just make a post in the aquascaping section since nobody seems to reply to this .
Old 11-14-2013, 02:52 AM   #14
dear_iinsanity
Algae Grower

That driftwood looks sick, I love 20L tanks
dear_iinsanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 05:11 AM   #15
kwheeler91
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (19/100%)

I agree that wood is cool. I think you definitely need more plants! What you called water cabbage is actually broadleaf watersprite. Its a fern. It can be planted but event eventually it will shade itself and break free to float and grow huge if you let it.

My friend has actually been looking for some I'm gonna pm you.