New Planted Tank Advice
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 07-31-2013, 03:02 PM   #1
Gwangi

PTrader: (0/0%)

New Planted Tank Advice

Hello everyone, I'm new here and was hoping to get a little feedback on my newly setup planted tank. It is my first planted tank, my first community tank and my first "biotope" so it is very exciting but a new project for me in a lot of ways. I'm not new to fish keeping, I've kept a number of cichlids and largish catfish and even native fishes but this tank is new territory for me.

So the setup is as follows...
29g tank with 30 lbs of Florite sub-straight. The light is a T5 I guess, it came with the hood but the tank is in an area with a lot of natural sunlight. If necessary I will change the bulb. The filter is an Aquaclear 50.

This is a very new setup intended to be a Southeast Asian/Thailand biotope.

The plants include a fair amount of Java moss, a couple Java ferns and water wisteria.

The fish in it are as follows...
2 Pearl Gourami
6 Scissortail Rasbora
1 Siamese Algae Eater
1 Skunk Loach

I got the loach only knowing their size and native location. Apparently they're really aggressive and I foolishly got one without knowing that. The same for the SAE, people are telling me they get aggressive as well. Any advice on these two fish would be appreciated.
I was hoping to add some harlequin rasbora as well, would this be too much?
I don't really have any other specific questions, just hoping for some helpful comments to see me through this.
Gwangi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2013, 03:13 PM   #2
jpappy789
Wannabe Guru

I'd return the loach as they get about 4-5" and need to be in a group. The SAE might be manageable but they also get about that size and are pretty active. Aggressive probably isn't the best word to describe either but they may act out if cramped.

If you do though you would probably have room for a harlie school.

There are also a number of smaller loach species that are more suitable for a tank this size...kuhlis, sids, etc.
Old 08-01-2013, 01:54 AM   #3
Gwangi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpappy789 View Post
I'd return the loach as they get about 4-5" and need to be in a group. The SAE might be manageable but they also get about that size and are pretty active. Aggressive probably isn't the best word to describe either but they may act out if cramped.

If you do though you would probably have room for a harlie school.

There are also a number of smaller loach species that are more suitable for a tank this size...kuhlis, sids, etc.
Thanks for the advice. It is my understanding though that skunk loaches don't like company unless it can be done in larger groups, otherwise they fight. Is that not the case?
Old 08-01-2013, 04:21 AM   #4
jpappy789
Wannabe Guru

I believe that is true actually of the males, although I'm not certain what is considered to be the minimum number if in a group. "Need" was the wrong word and I get used to saying that when I see loaches being kept alone. Still probably not the best choice for a 29g but you could still give it a go.
Old 08-01-2013, 01:04 PM   #5
Gwangi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpappy789 View Post
I believe that is true actually of the males, although I'm not certain what is considered to be the minimum number if in a group. "Need" was the wrong word and I get used to saying that when I see loaches being kept alone. Still probably not the best choice for a 29g but you could still give it a go.
Yeah, I'm not sure what to do with it. It was the only one in the store so getting more was not an option. So far he is minding his own business. Hiding during the day, coming out at night and none of the fish appear bothered by him. If it comes down to it I'll either try him in one of my other tanks or take him back to a fish store.
Old 08-01-2013, 07:31 PM   #6
Gwangi

So I guess all these thread views and a lack of responses mean I'm doing something right?