Conduit Light Hanger
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 09-30-2012, 02:14 AM   #1
Green_Flash
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

Conduit Light Hanger

How much clearance do I need to attach the electric conduit to the stand using the conduit brackets? I probably have 1 inch of width and depth. Is it ok to attach to a particle board stand? Also how many brackets should I use?
Green_Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2012, 02:22 AM   #2
nokturnalkid
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (83/100%)

There are a couple different kind of brackets to hold conduit. One will pretty much hold it up against the stand and another one holds it about and inch or so off the stand. Either or will work depending on how much space you have and looks. 2 brackets should be more than enough. As for mounting, I would use nuts, bolts and some washers if going into particle board. Screws going into particle board will not last very long, espescially with a heavier fixture. Once a couple drops of water get onto those screw holes, you can pretty much count on it swelling.
nokturnalkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 02:39 AM   #3
Green_Flash
Wannabe Guru

Thanks for the tips! I was also wondering if I should buy a bender and bend one single piece or if I should buy a elbow and use two cut pieces? A third possibility would be using a pre bent 90 degree conduit and two 1/2 couplers.
Also assuming I use one 10 ft piece of conduit bent at 90 degrees about 7 ft could that hold a 8-10 lb fixture safely?
Old 09-30-2012, 03:24 AM   #4
dbosman@msu.edu
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green_Flash View Post
Thanks for the tips! I was also wondering if I should buy a bender ...
I bent two pieces of conduit at the store using one of their benders.
They cut plywood and boards before you pay for them. They provide hand saws to cut trim to the length you want to pay for.
Stocking one of each size conduit benders near the conduit *seems to me* to invite use.

The problem of one piece bent at 90 degrees is one point of hanging allows the light fixture to spin.
dbosman@msu.edu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 05:26 AM   #5
Green_Flash
Wannabe Guru

Thanks for the reply. There is a 1 inch edge I have to clear, any ideas how I could do this? I am guessing a piece of ply wood attached to the particle wood. Should I use wood glue for that?
Also if I use plywood do I still need to use bolt/nut and washers or would screws be fine?

I also was measuring and noticed I can't have one 90 because I need the conduit to go over the center of the tank, not the back. My plan would be:
7ft H Conduit
Conduit Elbow (facing in toward the tank)
6 inch piece of conduit
Conduit elbow (facing tank lengthwise)
18-24 inch piece of conduit

That would be secure right? Would the elbow joints and smaller pieces of cut conduit hold?
Old 10-01-2012, 05:12 AM   #6
nokturnalkid
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (83/100%)

I've used this hanger before and it works great if you need the conduit not be directly on the stand. It should give you about the 1" or so that you need. If possible, I would try to make your light hangers out of 1 solid piece of conduit. All the elbows are going to be weak spots. All depends on the weight of your fixture. What I usually do is buy a bender and conduit. Bend it and return it when I'm done. I'm not the only one who does this so no lectures please. Lol. Also, buy a extra piece so that you can practice your bends. Iirc, each bend adds 4".
nokturnalkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 05:55 PM   #7
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (74/100%)

Conduit pre-bent 90 degree elbows attached with conduit couplings work, but you have to accomodate the fixed bend radius and length of the elbow, and they aren't as rigid as a solid piece of conduit. I had to use one size larger conduit to make it work well for me. Here is what I used:
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...0&postcount=27
Old 10-02-2012, 07:00 AM   #8
Green_Flash
Wannabe Guru

The fixture weighs 15-20lbs. What thickness of conduit is strong enough for that assuming I get one piece and manage to do the two 90 degree bends?

I was also looking into buying a pair of titantium shelf L brackets and mount them to the wall.
My question then would be, what if I don't use a shelf and just hang the fixture direct from the two brackets? ie loop the lights hanging cord over one bracket and tighten the loop fastener then do the same on the other bracket.

Or the other option is two 30 lbs rated ceiling hooks (the kind used for hanging plants). That would be very easy to just loop the fixture hanging cord.
Not sure what I would do with the ballast then lol, have the cords hang down to the floor I guess.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:57 PM   #9
Bandit1200
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

I just finished my conduit hanger this weekend. I purchased the diamond plate shoplite from Home Depot others have used here. I was fortunate enough to pick up a 1/2'' conduit bender in decent shape at a pawn shop last week for $10 so I jumped on that. I used two pieces of 1/2" conduit bent at 90 and attached with 2 conduit straps each (found out the hard way that 1/2" conduit DOES NOT use 1/2" conduit straps, they need 3/4" conduit straps, go figure). I attached the chains to the conduit using a couple black zip ties and capped the ends of the conduit with some 1/2" knockout plugs. One nice thing about using the zip ties to hang it is I can slide the shop light back or forth to adjust the light front to rear. In my opinion the 1/2" conduit is plenty strong enough to hold the light, but I don't think it weighs in anywhere near 25lbs.

*edit - I just looked up the weight at Home Depot and it shows the weight as 7lbs. Two bulbs couldn't add much more to that.
Bandit1200 is offline   Reply With Quote