Peat moss capped with moon sand...good?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Low Tech Forum

Old 06-17-2012, 05:01 AM   #1
mannye
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Peat moss capped with moon sand...good?

I am planning on moving forward with the nano tomorrow by picking up a couple of bags of black moon sand and if I can find some interesting slate pieces or driftwood I will start with that.

I already have a lot of peat moss I use to help the various orchids around the backyard... is this the same stuff everyone is talking about for substrate? Wouldn't it make the water the color of tea (not sure I wouldn't like that....sounds kind of neat). How much should I use?

Should it be mixed with something else? My idea for the 'scaping is to build up the substrate in both rear corners to get that hill effect and use some thin rock or wood pieces to make a ledge type deal... (I know...but it's celar in my head).

Also... sand, dirt and peat moss... it just sounds like I will have a cloudy muddy mess on my hands! I've never used anything but medium to fine gravel! The pictures I see show me different, but I still get anxious.

I guess I will find out tomorrow... pics will be posted!
mannye is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2012, 05:03 AM   #2
CatB
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via AIM to CatB Send a message via Skype™ to CatB

yes, peat moss as a substrate will make the water tea colored unless you use purigen or something similar in the filter to pull tannins out of the water.
it will also soften your water, so if you have soft water already, be wary of your water dropping too low in pH.
CatB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 05:17 AM   #3
aweeby
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (37/100%)

I like it, it works well! ADA powersand is basically peat and pumice. I use a thin layer of fine ground peat in all my newly setup tanks. There's little discoloration. I imagine that the kind you use for orchids is just as good if not better.
Old 06-17-2012, 09:49 AM   #4
NeedMoreTanks!
Algae Grower

May I ask why peat over coir? I have not used peat very much (tried it with mixed results years ago) as part of substrate but want to try coir, gonna on next tank with substrate. Coir doesn't discolour water nor if well rinsed will it change the ph. If disturbed it is my understanding that it isn't as much of a floater. I use both with terresterial plants esp those who like lean acid mix and orchids & other epiphytes, peat more of pia and more floatsome, seems I remember filter getting full or clogging more with peat.
Is supersoil still around anywhere?
NeedMoreTanks! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 01:17 PM   #5
mannye
Algae Grower

Miami Beach water is not soft by a longshot.
Old 06-17-2012, 10:05 PM   #6
mannye
Algae Grower

Looks like Father's Day festivities won out over driving all over town looking for substrate and rocks... I thought it was FATHER'S DAY....

Anyway... I will continue posting pics as I find new things to add.
Old 10-10-2012, 09:21 AM   #7
MegganKelley

it will also soften your water, so if you have soft water already, be wary of your water dropping too low in pH.