Happy Low Tech Tank. How To Keep It That Way.
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Low Tech Forum

Old 10-10-2012, 03:37 AM   #1
ANTIplastic
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Happy Low Tech Tank. How To Keep It That Way.

So I currently have multiple bunches of Hornwort, Anacharis, I have 4 Amazon Swords, a Banana Plant, and two bunches of Jungle Val.

In regards to the fish I have 4 Green Corys, 6 Skirt Tetras, 6 Neon Tetras, and 2 Black Kuhli Loaches.

I can easily say there is nothing fancy about this tank and I love that about it.

I'm dosing with Flourish for the plants and dosing Prime for the fish.

I most definitely want more Jungle Val.

I definitely been caught off guard by how much I love Banana Plants. At first it just seemed boring to me but when they are placed correctly they really shine.

In regards to the fish-have I maxed it out? It's a 30 gallon tank and I feel I'm pushing it in regards to how many I already have.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	109.5 KB
ID:	55089  

ANTIplastic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2012, 01:07 PM   #2
shloken38
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)

Hey there! You'll get mixed opinions on whether or not you are overstocked. So long as you have good filtration and you keep up with tank maintenance, you should be ok. My 29 is definitely overstocked, but all my guys are fine and get along. I too am low tech, nothing fancy, and I love it! Just keep up with it. Banana plants, I've been tempted several times. I might have to pick up one or two....
2.5 Gallon - Pea Puffer
5.5 Gallon - RCS, Ghost Shrimp, Ember Tetras, Sparkling Gouramis, Bumble Bee Gobies
10 Gallon - Pure Black Bar Endlers
29 Gallon - Planted Community - Cherry Barbs, Neon Tetras, Various Cory Cats, Albino Bristlenose Pleco
shloken38 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2012, 01:27 PM   #3
TexasCichlid
Surrounded by Blyxa

PTrader: (27/100%)

Dependent on a few things. Your filter and how heavily planted you are. Many plants help alleviate some of the problems associated with being overstocked. I would say you are not overstocked at all, though, without knowing the specifics.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
TexasCichlid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2012, 03:38 PM   #4
PlantedRich
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Overstocking is a relative thing that varies depending on what fish, filtering and the owner. You can keep a tub full of fish if the filtering is up to converting the bio-load and the plants or owner keep the nitrate removed.
Your fish are not aggressive so there is close to no limit from that. They also have a very small bio- load. Compared to a single Oscar, your group could be doubled or triple. If you begin adding five fish at a time, at some point you would notice either ammonia beginning to build because your filter could not handle the load or the nitrate would begin to get too high because the plants and you are not removing it quickly enough.
Testing is often ignored as too complicated. If testing is not something you do, this is when I favor using test strips to watch for potential trouble.
There are complaints that strips are not as accurate as liquid but they give a lot more info than not testing!
For tiny fish like you have, you can add more until testing shows you are reaching a limit to what the filter or you with your plants help are willing to handle.
Adding ten more neons will be no big thing. Adding one small Oscar would kill the whole deal but you most likely have some slack for more of the type you have.
PlantedRich is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2012, 05:44 PM   #5
ANTIplastic
Algae Grower

Love that everyone is always so helpful and responsive on these forums. Thanks guys.

I'm running an Aquaclear 30 and I've been running an ammonia test and it's been perfect. (knock on wood) Ive seen those whole package aquarium test strips and for the price I wonder how legit they really are. I'll definitely find something by next week.

Are Oscars Neon Tetra friendly/plant friendly? Because I wouldn't be opposed. I think I'll play content for now in regards to fish. I just keep wanting to cram plant after plant in this tank.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:34 PM   #6
TexasCichlid
Surrounded by Blyxa

PTrader: (27/100%)

AC30 on a 30 gallon tank is dismally underpowered. I would seriously consider upgrading to something with more horsepower. To give you an idea, an AC30 is a good filter for a 5-10 gallon tank.
TexasCichlid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2012, 04:39 AM   #7
ANTIplastic
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasCichlid View Post
AC30 on a 30 gallon tank is dismally underpowered. I would seriously consider upgrading to something with more horsepower. To give you an idea, an AC30 is a good filter for a 5-10 gallon tank.

Even though the box claims it's for up to 30 gallons?
Old 10-11-2012, 01:24 PM   #8
jbrady33
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)

That is a very generous 'max' rating they give, I have an Aquaclear 30 on a 3 gallon nano tank and a Fluval 406 canister ('rated' at like 100 gallons) on a 36 gallon tank.

Whatever the say, cut it in half . the aquaclears are good filters, you just need a bigger one

If you do get another filter be sure to put the media from the old one into the new one so you don't lose your cycle, or run them both together, more is better!

Tags
30 gallon, low tech

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.