Plant Identification and Newbie Questions
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Plants

Old 02-10-2014, 06:56 PM   #1
SoulLonely
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Plant Identification and Newbie Questions

I would like some help identifying my plants, please. I think some of them I found the name of, so want to double check them as well. (I will edit in more names of the plants when someone responds with what type) Thanks!

I have a Glo Flora Gro 24 inch 20 Watt TB currently. Plus I have used fertilizer to raise my nitrates to around 40 ppm, which is a tablet that goes into the gravel. I don't believe I have the packaging, but I can take a picture of what they look like.

I am also new to the concept of pumping CO2 into the tank. My plants seem to be mostly be growing well. Would you guys recommend adding CO2 or do you think they will be okay as is? Thanks for any advice.

#1) Hygrophila corymbosa 'Compact'

If it is this, I have read that strong lighting can cause the plants to have pink/red coloring on the leaves, which mine has.

#2) Cryptocoryne wendtii

#3)

This plant almost died when I took it in, but it seems to be growing okay now. Growing slowly.

#4) Anacharis

#5)

The grass like plant, you can see the roots, or what not sticking out of the gravel a bit. Is this the plant I read it is good to trim? I know when I picked it up that the pet store owner said it required a high amount of light, is my light good enough? A few stalks have been turning brown, but it is mostly staying green. I have also read to plant it in tufts, so I may replant some since I have a large chunk planted together.

#6) Crinum calamistratum

(It is the bulb plant with long leaves coming out of it, was hard to get a picture through the other plants)

I was worried when I first brought this one home because the leaves were melting (?), turning brown and almost disentegrating when I first bought it. After taking off atleast 4 stands the first week or two, it has stopped doing that and seems to be growing new leaves well. I have read it needs to be sticking out of the substrate some, so I hope I have planted it okay.

#7) Myrio ...

#8) Cabomba Caroliniana

#9)

This one is a top view. It has three leaves on one stem, and near the top left, on the big leaf, there is a baby plant growing, you can see the black roots growing longer, the plant is now a couple centimers tall! Is there a certain size it should be before breaking the small plant off and replanting it?

This is the whole tank right now, may replant/rearrange soon since I wasn't sure how the plants would grow them I bought them, it has been a month or two, and some are getting larger and I want to place them more in the back, I think.

(just tried landscape mode on my camera, and wow, the pictures came out a lot brighter! If any pics need a better picture, just let me know and I will retake in this mode since it really seems to work well with the plants.)

Last edited by SoulLonely; 02-11-2014 at 05:03 PM.. Reason: Updated Names of Plants
SoulLonely is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2014, 12:57 AM   #2
Takeshi
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)

#4 Anacharis
#8 Cabomba Caroliniana
#7 Myrio something LOL
Takeshi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2014, 05:01 PM   #3
SoulLonely
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeshi View Post
#4 Anacharis
#8 Cabomba Caroliniana
#7 Myrio something LOL
Thank you, and updated my first post to include these names.
Old 02-11-2014, 07:58 PM   #4
JMN16150
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)

3. lloydiella
5. hairgrass
7. myrio simulans
8. cabomba pulcherrima(caroliniana is a brighter lime green)
9. bolbitus heteroclita, takes a long time to grow aquatic leaves
JMN16150 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2014, 02:06 PM   #5
SoulLonely
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMN16150 View Post
3. lloydiella
5. hairgrass
7. myrio simulans
8. cabomba pulcherrima(caroliniana is a brighter lime green)
9. bolbitus heteroclita, takes a long time to grow aquatic leaves
Thank you very much!

All plants should be identified now, thanks for the help you both!
Old 02-15-2014, 02:34 PM   #6
TDerivan
Algae Grower

Yeah, #1 looks like hyrgrophila corymbosa var compact. If corymbosa reaches the surface and begins to grow emersed it will produce pretty little flowers.
TDerivan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2014, 02:25 AM   #7
Tinanti
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)

#3 is Clinopodium brownei.
Tinanti is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.