LED Undercabinet Light
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 10-09-2012, 02:27 PM   #1
bB.A.Baracus
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

LED Undercabinet Light

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...6#.UHQWzBXA-dh

Product above. I could only find one thread about this, and nobody mentioned having actually tried it. But for 55 dollars, that seems like a good price for LED lighting for a 20L. Naturally, my question is, will this be sufficient for medium-ish lighting? I'm probably going to give it a shot.
bB.A.Baracus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 03:30 PM   #2
O2surplus
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

I wouldn't part with $55 for a light fixture with only 4 leds. There's plenty of other choices on the market that would perform much better for the money.
225 Gal, Glass "Reef Ready" w/ twin Iwaki Pumps & 2 Ocean Clear inline filters. Custom 320 watt LED Lighting system utilizing a 6' Maker's Heat Sink, 12 BridgeLux Vero 18's,3 purpose built 5 channel A6211 Led driver/Controllers, and a 20lb CO2 system w/ Milwaukee Ph Controller.
O2surplus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 03:38 PM   #3
CLAndrews
Algae Grower

About 4 months ago I tried the LED puck type lights made for under counters. They do look good but I would have needed about 50 or so to have a chance at growing plants(100 gal. tank). I did end up buying the (6)Grobeam 500's and the light from the pucks looked yellow next to the Grobeam.
CLAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 03:44 PM   #4
Edub
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)

I have seen those Home Depot lights in person and they really aren't very bright, you would need several of them to even have a shot at growing anything but low light plants. For the money you are much better off trying to build a DIY fixture or going with a preassembled unit made for aquariums.
Edub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 03:51 PM   #5
bB.A.Baracus
Algae Grower

OK, thanks for the replies. I know next to nothing about LEDs, so I wanted to make sure there wasn't an easier option than DIY.
bB.A.Baracus is offline   Reply With Quote