What fish can I stock with Bosemani Rainbows?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 10-06-2012, 05:04 AM   #1
Evilgrin
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

What fish can I stock with Bosemani Rainbows?

I'm about 1 week from setting up my 55g tank and I'm dead set on keeping 6 - 10 Bosemani Rainbows But I am at a loss as to what else I can keep in the tank with them aside from other rainbows. I'd like to have a nice community tank with fish at all levels of the tank with fish that are fairly active swimmers. Since I still need to cycle the tank I've got at least a moth or more before I can start purchasing fish just trying to get a head start on my stocking list so I can start checking the LFS in the area to see if they will order some for me or if they even know what they are I'd like to leave mail order as a last resort.

Tank will be dirt capped with fluorite black sand with a good amount of plants.
Filtration will be an old Fluval 305 canister rated for a 70gal max
Lighting 16 3w leds and 2 twin-tube compact florescent 10k/actinic bulbs
Evilgrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2012, 05:05 AM   #2
brainwavepc.com
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (14/100%)

anything really, i have gold barbs, cherry barbs, fire eel, elephant nose, golden white clouds, cory cats, twig cats, gold gouramis, platys, and guppies with my boesmani rainbows and they all get along fine
brainwavepc.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 06:05 AM   #3
Phish
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (18/100%)

yea u can throw in most anything. tetras and them work great
Phish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:27 AM   #4
Evilgrin
Planted Member

Good to know everything I've read so far says they are peaceful but I always like to hear about first hand experience.

I'm thinking 6-10 bosemani rainbows , 4-6 cory cats , 10 or more neon tetras and maybe 1 german blue ram or 4-6 platy's just for a pop of red against all the green plants.

Wondering if that's too much for a 55?
Old 10-06-2012, 07:37 AM   #5
mistahoo
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)

Stock list sounds good except the gbr. They can get aggressive and cause havoc in your tank if it isn't well planted or have many hiding places for your other fish.

Sent from my spaceship using Tapatalk 2.
SunSun Pimp #82|RAOK Club Member #89|Eheim Pimp #543

210G|1.5G Iwagumi DSM|5G Fluval Chi
mistahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:38 AM   #6
mistahoo
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)

Edit: double post
SunSun Pimp #82|RAOK Club Member #89|Eheim Pimp #543

210G|1.5G Iwagumi DSM|5G Fluval Chi
mistahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:10 AM   #7
Grifter
Algae Grower

mine are in with Melanotaenia Australis , Apistogramma cacatuoides , cory julii , dwarf flag cichlids ( breeding pair ) honey gourami ( breeding pair ) cherry barbs and neons .

And they all get on great all be it a bit push and breeding time
Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:17 AM   #8
steven p
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

I have two male and two females with 4 unpaired angels, platys, guppies, bn pleco etc... Theyre suttle charmers and are tough and resilient, my angels like to bully their tankmates when its snack time. I have seen them with a green terror and dempseys as well as tetras, peaceful but capable of standing ground or taking a blow.
steven p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:10 PM   #9
Phish
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (18/100%)

if your tank is heavily planted, with decent filtration you can get like double the amount of neons IMO. maybe more cory's too. but i tend to like a full looking tank, not everyone does. I don't really know fluvals to say if it can handle more. a GBR is fine usually

For a splash of red consider adding a pair of new guinea red rainbow fish in with maybe 4-7 bosmani. extremely peaceful and prolly my fav fish in my tank atm. they get along well with my 3 bosamani's and school with them.

Last edited by Phish; 10-06-2012 at 09:22 PM.. Reason: mas
Phish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 01:05 AM   #10
Bruce_S
Planted Member

I've seen M. boesemani get aggressive, but only with other boesemani! Right now, I've got 3.3 with turquoise rainbows, neon tetras, swordtails, platies, harlequin rasboras, black phantoms, amanos, guppies ... and a few other things ... in a 75. The rainbows hang out in a mixed school in the strongest filter outflow. I originally had four boesemans and four turquoise, but since the male and female boesemans look so different, they were being kind of overwhelmed by the turqs. Boesemans are one of my favorite fish to watch closely, as their colors shimmer, switching on and off almost as quickly as a squid's.

I'd say you can put them with almost anything, as long as they have room to get out of the way of anything aggressive. They're generally quick enough to do it.

~Bruce
Bruce_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 02:18 AM   #11
Diana
Planted Tank Guru

6-10 bosemani rainbows Good, about 2-3 M, the rest F.
4-6 cory cats Go with 6+
10 or more neon tetras A dozen or more, and maybe not Neons. There are a lot of other tetras, barbs, rasboras and similar species. I had pentazona barbs with some of my rainbows, and Bleeding Heart Tetras with others, and Brilliant Rasboras with some other Rainbows.
1 german blue ram You could get a pair, as long as they will have some space to themselves. Cories tend not to accept the GBRs territory and will get chased.
4-6 platy's I would skip the platies, go with more schooling fish bigger schools are better.
Diana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 03:27 AM   #12
Evilgrin
Planted Member

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone lots to consider in the coming weeks.

looks like my fluval 305 is currently MIA granted it's been over 5 years since I've used it so looks like I'll be getting a sun sun canister w/UV to replace it. seen some good reviews on it so far and I found a good place to get replacement parts if need be. Says it's rated for a 100Gal tank so I'll have plenty of filtration and plenty of space inside for lots of bio media.
Old 10-10-2012, 02:05 AM   #13
Evilgrin
Planted Member

Well it's been a few days and here is my final although tentative stock list for my 55g

6 - 10 Bosemani Rainbows
4 - 6 Red Rainbows
4 - 6 Denison Barbs / Red line Torpedo Barbs
6 Cherry Barbs
6 Cory Cats
10 + Neon Tetras

As of now this is my stocking list I still have to see what is available in my area since I'm not too keen on the idea of mail order fish so this list might change depending on what I find.

Is this list a bit excessive for a 55g tank My Canister is rated for a 100g tank and I have a HOB whisper filter as well if need be as well as several power head filters left over from previous tanks.

As I said previously I plan to have a fully planted tank with nice well established plants so other then the neon's it may be a few months till I get any of the bigger fish I'm expecting it to take 2 - 4 weeks to cycle the tank maybe less since I'll have some seed media from a buddy of mine.