question on ick
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 10-06-2012, 12:14 PM   #1
weezel77
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

question on ick

had an outbreak of ick in the tank. im using API's liquid ick treatment. Started the treatment on Tuesday night. i followed the directions but cut the dosage in half since there are many tetras in the tank per directions. Doing a water change today. Im still seeing a few spots on some fish. The directions says nothing about continuing treatment. says to do a water change after 3 days of treatment and to run charcoal in filter to clear water up. My questions is after water change should i still continue treating until i no longer see any white spots?? i know not to use the charcoal because it will completly remove the medicine.
weezel77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2012, 12:50 PM   #2
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

Ick is a pretty tough organism. I use Kordon's Ick-Attack http://www.novalek.com/kordon/ich_attack/index.htm
when I quarantine fish. Last fall I got some Cherry Barbs,
the looked good in the store, I managed to miss seeing a few spots
on one. Didn't see them until I got the fish in the Q-tank. I tried the
Ick-Attach at 2Xs a day full dose. After 3 days 50% water change with
distilled water. Then single dose for 3 days 50% then 1/2 dose for a wk
and then 25% water changes.

I lost 1 of 12 fish, of those I have 9 today (3 breeding trios) I had two jumpers along the way.

I put new fish in my Q-tank from two wks prior to placing them in with my other tanks.

I like the Ick-Attack as the fish are already under a lot of stress and some of the harsher treatments can be too hard on the fish. Also sometimes the fish are too far gone and just can't be saved.
DogFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 03:08 PM   #3
PlantedRich
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

I find the commercial treatments are often not very good. The directions don't really say much about why they are to work. In your case they are really letting you down if they don't have you continue the treatment even way past when you no longer see spots.

I would highly recommend doing some reading about the life cycle of ich. Basics are that there are three stages of ich. One you may see but can also be on the gills out of sight. Two is fallen off and lying on the bottom. Three is free swimming and looking for a host. The third is when the meds can kill them.

I use a three pronged approach. I raise the temperature as high as my fish can handle. I've had tetras as high as 94 degrees! The higher temp speeds up the ich life cycle so they reach the vulnerable stage quicker. I add salt to kill the ich by gradually increasing the level over several days. This helps the fish adapt. I vac as I do water changes to remove any ich on the floor. That makes fewer to reproduce. I keep my QT tank bare bottom to help.

I find commercial treatments to be very hit and miss on curing ich. But a very important point is to treat well past when you no longer see the ich. You certainly do not want to do this again by missing even a single bugger on the first go.
PlantedRich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 03:32 PM   #4
weezel77
Algae Grower

normally i would treat the tank with salt but since i have a dwarf frog in the tank( impossible to catch) i opted not to treat with salt. i raised the temp from 78- 80 on first night of treatmet. second dose increased to 84 currnt tem is about 86
did water change vacummed and started treating again
Old 10-07-2012, 12:18 AM   #5
Diana
Planted Tank Guru

Several Ich medications mislead you by making it look like Ich can be killed in just a few days. Maintain the medication until at least 3 days past the day you saw the last spot on the fish.

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/fa006
Diana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 03:10 AM   #6
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

Over they years I've tried just about everything for Ick, Methylene Blue, Salt, High Temps, massive W/C & Diatom filters and some fish make it and some don't no matter what we do.

I'm now much more inclined to try a homeopathic approach than the 'mad-scientist' route I used to go. I'm convinced it's not as much what we uses as it its is how bad the fish is when we start treating and if we follow though to prevent reinfection.
DogFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 02:55 PM   #7
weezel77
Algae Grower

no more white spots on fish. doing another water change todayand another dose of treatment. NO fish loss as of right now.
Old 10-07-2012, 06:36 PM   #8
Diana
Planted Tank Guru

Looking good, weezel77!

I am with DogFish: Catch it early, and treat consistently to cut the Ich life cycle off and prevent re-infection. Most treatments will work, but not very well if the Ich is already all over the tank and fish, in the gills and outside. Fish that have that much Ich all over them have been stressed too long, the parasite has run several generations and the fish do not have much strength to withstand the added stress of treatment, and enough strength to hold out much longer while the Ich runs the course it must while the treatment is starting to work.
Diana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:56 PM   #9
weezel77
Algae Grower

no signs of white spots after last treatment. did another treatment jic. gonna do a 50% water change tonight and run charcoal media for about three days to clear the water up.