Does anyone else find that houseplants make great aquarium plants? - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Plants

Old 10-12-2012, 07:03 AM   #16
kiera
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I've been thinking of throwing some golden pothos into my tank after I flood it. I'm just wondering if it would perform the same function as, say, a floating water sprite in terms of taking up extra nutrients and discouraging algae.

Old 10-12-2012, 12:13 PM   #17
Monster Fish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (35/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiera View Post
I've been thinking of throwing some golden pothos into my tank after I flood it. I'm just wondering if it would perform the same function as, say, a floating water sprite in terms of taking up extra nutrients and discouraging algae.
Not sure if it discourages algae but it's a great nitrate sponge. It's best to place it in your HOB (if you're using one) or at the surface in a riparium type setup. You can wait for it to grow submerged roots into your tank or you can take a cutting from a terrestrial plant, place it in a container filled with water, and dose some macros to encourage it to form aquatic roots faster.
RAOK Club #77|The Fraternity of Dirt #112
Monster Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 02:34 PM   #18
bB.A.Baracus
Algae Grower

I have pothos in my HOB, but it hasn't grown much at all...two leaves in months or so. It looks healthy, though.
bB.A.Baracus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 03:41 PM   #19
Hidden Walrus
Algae Grower

I especially like the pothos just free floating because the leaves and roots provide cover and make the tank look more natural. Most plants like this have to have only their roots in the tank, but pothos can grow entirely submersed. I agree, initially it does grow slowly but once it establishes roots expect five to six inches growth per month.
Hidden Walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 03:42 PM   #20
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

PTrader: (174/100%)

Pothos seems to be fitting as a great beginner plant for those who want to try it out in their tanks.
Old 10-12-2012, 07:57 PM   #21
JunJunJenn
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hidden Walrus View Post
I especially like the pothos just free floating because the leaves and roots provide cover and make the tank look more natural. Most plants like this have to have only their roots in the tank, but pothos can grow entirely submersed. I agree, initially it does grow slowly but once it establishes roots expect five to six inches growth per month.
Do you just take a cutting and throw it in the tank?
JunJunJenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 08:30 PM   #22
Hidden Walrus
Algae Grower

Yes, just drop a cutting into the tank. Ideally, try leave a few leaves above water initially until so the plant can respire until it grows it's first submersed leaves (air grown leaves can't take in oxygen or co2 underwater but submersed form ones can). After a few new leaves have been produced the plant be can floated freely in the water or planted in the gravel.

You can also grow it with just the roots in the water. It grows faster this way and doesn't need to change to submersed growth.
Old 10-12-2012, 09:34 PM   #23
BBradbury
Wannabe Guru

Default Terryphye Tank

Here's a few pics of one of my tanks with emersed "Aglaonema Gemini". The tank is nearly self sufficient. The fish provide the waste and the "Ag" roots use it. Just a couple of gallons of treated tap water to replace that lost to evaporation and minimal filtration for the period at night when the plants slow their filtering of the tank water.

This is a 45 G tall tank. The tank's been running about four years. The emersed plants have been in since last spring or so. Good plant growth in nothing more than room light.

B

Last edited by BBradbury; 11-11-2012 at 06:41 PM..
BBradbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 03:25 PM   #24
Hidden Walrus
Algae Grower

Looks good. I've wanted to get a chinese evergreen for my tank but for the life of me I cannot find one small enough to use anywhere. It seems every plant comes in a perfect little 3 inch pot size except for this one which i only see offered as an enormous floor plant.
Old 10-13-2012, 06:20 PM   #25
BBradbury
Wannabe Guru

Default Aglaonema & Nephthytis

Hello again...

Attached are pics of a 38 G with Aglaonema and Nephthytis. If you can remove most of the potting mixture from the roots and aerate the roots, you'll get good growth. Growth is better than the same plants kept in pots of potting soil. I get more blooms in the emersed plants than those potted the standard way.

Still need a little standard filtration for the period at night, though. Other than a couple of gallons of tank water removed to service the filters, the tank is self-sustaining.

B

Last edited by BBradbury; 11-11-2012 at 06:41 PM..
BBradbury is offline   Reply With Quote