So happy for this section bga in axolotle tank
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion > Herp (Reptiles and Amphibians)


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2012, 03:15 AM   #1
Sethjohnson30
Wannabe Guru
 
PTrader: (4/100%)
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Portland oregon
Posts: 1,077
Default

So happy for this section bga in axolotle tank


I have a problem axo's need low flow. Because of my low flow I now have bga. What should I do? I know I can treat with maracyn but that's just a bandaid and the bga will keep coming back. My nitrates are typically less than 5 ppm because I have terrestrial plants are axo's sensitive to nitrates can I dose to bump it up a little

These pics are a bit outdated(1 year old) I take and post some more recent pics when I get off work tonight


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sethjohnson30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-09-2012, 03:22 AM   #2
Michael M
Planted Member
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Charleston, IL
Posts: 154
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sethjohnson30 View Post
I have a problem axo's need low flow. Because of my low flow I now have bga. What should I do? I know I can treat with maracyn but that's just a bandaid and the bga will keep coming back. My nitrates are typically less than 5 ppm because I have terrestrial plants are axo's sensitive to nitrates can I dose to bump it up a little

These pics are a bit outdated(1 year old) I take and post some more recent pics when I get off work tonight


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Oh wow that set up is awesome. Please do take some bigger pics, very original!
Michael M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 03:32 AM   #3
Sethjohnson30
Wannabe Guru
 
PTrader: (4/100%)
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Portland oregon
Posts: 1,077
Default

The pics are quite large tapatalk won't let me upload them so I had to do it on the smallest setting


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sethjohnson30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 02:53 PM   #4
Soothing Shrimp
Planted Tank Guru
 
Soothing Shrimp's Avatar
 
PTrader: (131/100%)
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Illinois
Posts: 6,606
Default

Ditto on larger pic. Unfortunately I'm learning about this aspect myself, so I can't be much help on the OP.
__________________
RAOK Club and BBRR Club! My thinking has been invert-ed!
Soothing Shrimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:47 PM   #5
Sethjohnson30
Wannabe Guru
 
PTrader: (4/100%)
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Portland oregon
Posts: 1,077
Default



Here's bigger more recent pics


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sethjohnson30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:51 PM   #6
orchidman
Planted Tank Guru
 
orchidman's Avatar
 
PTrader: (18/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 7,421
Default

i thought once you treated BGA with erythromicin, it killed all of the bacteria and it wouldnt come back unless introduced..
orchidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:52 PM   #7
Michael M
Planted Member
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Charleston, IL
Posts: 154
Default

Looks great. One question I always have about Axolotls is how do you keep the water COLD enough? I thought they did not do well in water above 65F?

I've always wanted one but I never could grasp the idea of concept of keeping a proper 'cold' tank without a chiller unit, which are $$$.
Michael M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:49 PM   #8
Sethjohnson30
Wannabe Guru
 
PTrader: (4/100%)
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Portland oregon
Posts: 1,077
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael M View Post
Looks great. One question I always have about Axolotls is how do you keep the water COLD enough? I thought they did not do well in water above 65F?

I've always wanted one but I never could grasp the idea of concept of keeping a proper 'cold' tank without a chiller unit, which are $$$.
I have had him at for about 2 years now his water is usually around 72 and 75 in the summer. I have never had any issues he seems quite happy at room temp. He was captive bred so that may have something to do with it. The only thing I would suggest if your keeping them at Warner temps is to feed a little more. He gets a half cube of bloodworms 6 days a week.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sethjohnson30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:50 PM   #9
Sethjohnson30
Wannabe Guru
 
PTrader: (4/100%)
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Portland oregon
Posts: 1,077
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by orchidman View Post
i thought once you treated BGA with erythromicin, it killed all of the bacteria and it wouldnt come back unless introduced..
It's always there but if you get a little lazy it can get out of control them it's very hard to get rid of


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sethjohnson30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:25 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Planted Tank LLC 2012