PETCO Filter Media HELP?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Low Tech Forum

Old 10-16-2012, 06:38 PM   #1
Thamag
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Exclamation

PETCO Filter Media HELP?

I bought some medea from petco thinking it might be good to capture larger waste and privide ample surface area for microbio to grow. Well a soon as I added it I noticed large amounts of green hair alge in my tank within a week . It was rinsed thoroughly.
Any know about this stuff or is it my fault for using it? Petco brand.

This is what happend to my last tank due to lack of knowledge of blue green alge. And it failed completely. After about 3 months and huge amounts of baby tears growing. BTW it is a custom setup, if any one had questions. About it.

currently going under reconstruction for low tek reef. I'm done my high tech days. It's like having extra children with no immune system.

Last edited by Thamag; 10-16-2012 at 06:39 PM.. Reason: Text
Thamag is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2012, 07:00 PM   #2
Borikuan
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)

That looks like Zeolite , unless you are housing messy fish ( goldfish) there is no reason to add Zeolite . Zeolite removes Nitrates , it may have caused an inbalance in your tank. Remove it and try taking as much algae has you can with a toothbrush. If its too bad you may want to reset the tank , if not start dosing Excel and hope for the best.
Borikuan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2012, 07:35 PM   #3
Thamag
Algae Grower

Well three of these fish
I have no idea what they are. The fish keeper had no idea, said they came in with some german moss. They are the size of a thumb nail clipping full grown.
And now two crystal shrimp, as one disappeared.

Tank before I took out hair algae

And after a handful of plant because I could not get the hair off.

I removed all the zeolite I think you called it, and replaced it with fish filter stuffing. It does seem to have a lot of waste In there. Should I have some sort of attachment to my filter and try to filter it out? I got a lot up when I did my trimming/pulling of plant.
Old 10-17-2012, 12:46 AM   #4
Borikuan
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thamag View Post
Well three of these fish
I have no idea what they are. The fish keeper had no idea, said they came in with some german moss. They are the size of a thumb nail clipping full grown.
And now two crystal shrimp, as one disappeared.

Tank before I took out hair algae

And after a handful of plant because I could not get the hair off.

I removed all the zeolite I think you called it, and replaced it with fish filter stuffing. It does seem to have a lot of waste In there. Should I have some sort of attachment to my filter and try to filter it out? I got a lot up when I did my trimming/pulling of plant.
Cute little tank. Its a little blurry but those look like Cardinal Tetras. Yes, filter floss should be enough. What filter are you using ? If there is too much stuff on the substrate, you can always try vaccuming a bit, if not just let the filter do its job. Any remains should settle on the bottom...
Old 10-17-2012, 01:17 AM   #5
Smitty06
Planted Member

@Boricuan, those look nothing like cardinal tetras, they are Boraras urophthalmoides if I'm not mistaken. You can try vaccuming, but I would just leave the derbis because you will most likely stir up more. The tank should look great with the carpet
Smitty06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2012, 01:33 AM   #6
Borikuan
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty06 View Post
@Boricuan, those look nothing like cardinal tetras, they are Boraras urophthalmoides if I'm not mistaken. You can try vaccuming, but I would just leave the derbis because you will most likely stir up more. The tank should look great with the carpet
You're right, I got my names mixed up. I was not thinking of Least rasboras I was thinking of another species, but you pretty much nailed it...
Old 10-17-2012, 02:55 AM   #7
Thamag
Algae Grower

Spot on, Boraras urophthalmoides they are! I tried a couple times to look for tha name, but didn't know where to start. I wish I could find some more locally!

It's a lil custom 12v inline pump connected 2" x 3" PVC similar to any other canister filter but very small and with 6mm od hoses. It has about 8oz fluid capacity.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.