Glosso?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Plants

Old 10-16-2012, 03:31 AM   #1
DeLaFe
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

Glosso?

I bought some glosso and got it in the mail today... I was expecting something more like a "mat", not very thin stems that reach up to 3 inches in length with tiny leaves.

I planted these one or two at a time spaced apart about 1 inch. Is this the right way to go? This stuff does not have roots... Anyway, I saw something at an ADA store in Ridgewood NJ that is exactly what I want (a LOW mat with tiny dark green leaves) but they said it was very difficult to keep and grows very slowly... I may be getting rid of the glosso sooner than I thought.

Will this stuff eventually grow differently? Tips? Suggestions? I can try to take a photograph. Right now I planted about 1/4 of what I bought, I have the rest in a small bucket with tank water and plan on messing with it tomorrow. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Perhaps photos of how this stuff looks in a tank after it has grown in?

Thanks,

Alfred
DeLaFe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2012, 03:37 AM   #2
stevenjohn21
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)

Try the dry start method (DSM), it grows a lot faster. If the stems have 2-3 pairs of leaves on it then just cut them and plant each node seperatly, in no time at all they will send runners out. It is said that low light causes glosso to grow taller allowing it to reach closer to the higher light. Its actually to do with the C02 concentration, so allowing it to start emmersed (DSM) will grow quicker and you will have your mat in just a few weeks.

“Football is a simple game; 22 men chase a ball for 90 minutes and at the end, the Germans win.” -Gary Linekar

"Some people are on the pitch! They think it's all over! It is now, it's four!" -Kenneth Wolstenholme
stevenjohn21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 03:43 AM   #3
DeLaFe
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

This stuff was grown emersed. I can't "redo" my tank to grow it emersed... Hopefully it will grow in nicely the way I planted it.

Thanks!

Alfred
DeLaFe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 03:51 AM   #4
mistergreen
No more Bow ties

PTrader: (13/100%)

my thread, you'll find it useful
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=193261
mistergreen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 03:55 AM   #5
stevenjohn21
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeLaFe View Post
This stuff was grown emersed. I can't "redo" my tank to grow it emersed... Hopefully it will grow in nicely the way I planted it.

Thanks!

Alfred
Take some out and grow it in plastic tubs, after 2 weeks you will have double the amount to plant in your tank.

“Football is a simple game; 22 men chase a ball for 90 minutes and at the end, the Germans win.” -Gary Linekar

"Some people are on the pitch! They think it's all over! It is now, it's four!" -Kenneth Wolstenholme
stevenjohn21 is offline   Reply With Quote