what is this
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Algae

Old 10-08-2012, 01:53 AM   #1
plantlover
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

what is this

so i have had my tank up for around 5 months and last week i did my 50% water change cleaned my mechaincal filters in tank water checked all water parmeters and it was fine as usual.ok well the next day water was a lil cloudy as tha week goes on it gets worse...an worse so now a hole week has gone by did my change agin and tha same thing i guess it is just an algae bloom or a bacteria bloom sombody got some advise im going to jus leave lights of this week an see if it clears it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cloudy tank 1.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	54989  

Name:	cloudy tank 2.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	54990  

plantlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2012, 02:23 AM   #2
dmagerl
Planted Tank Obsessed

I had this happen to me.. It was white cloudy water that lasted for months. Everyone said it was a bacterial bloom. It never turned green as if it was an algae bloom. I was ready to give up and tear down the tank. . Nothing I did cured it.

I was down to two options: dose with Tetracycline assuming it was bacterial, or dose with Algaefix assuming it was algae.

I did a half dose of Algaefix, I had it on hand, and after months of cloudy water, it turned crystal clear within a day. Its been about 3 months now and its never returned.

The thing is, it never gave any indication it was algae. I never glimpsed anything resembling a green color, just milky whitness.
dmagerl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 03:46 AM   #3
Diana
Planted Tank Guru

In an aquarium there can be several causes for cloudy water. Cloudy water is not generally in itself toxic to the fish, but the reasons may point to some conditions that may become toxic.

1) pH or water hardness issues. Changing the pH is a tricky thing to do, and pet stores are all too ready to sell you pH Up and pH Down sorts of products without helping you understand what you are trying to do or to even hint that there is anything complex about water chemistry. If you think you need to alter the pH of your water please post:
-Tap water pH right out of the tap, and tap water pH after sitting out for 24-48 hours.
-Tap water GH and KH.
-The species of fish you are interested in keeping, and if you want to breed this fish.
This sort of problem can also show up if the water company changes the composition of the water, for example if they get their water from more than one source.
Another way that pH can be altered to the point of causing cloudy water in a tank is if some decorative rock or substrate is a rather soft form of limestone and the water is slightly acidic. This can be tested by putting the rock or gravel in a clear glass of tap water and testing the pH, GH and KH over several days or a week. You can see the water clouding up in a clear glass, and you can monitor the water chemistry changes.

2) Ammonia, especially from dead matter such as dead fish or snails, fallen food or similar source.
The cure for this one is to do enough water changes to keep the ammonia under .25 ppm, the nitrite under 1.0 ppm, and nitrate under 20 ppm. As you are doing these water changes vacuum the substrate well to remove fallen food and other debris. Feed less, so the fish clean up the food right away, and skip a day’s feeding once a week. This problem should go away when the tank is fully cycled, and when you find the dead fish or whatever is contributing to the steep rise in ammonia.

3) Pretty much every form of substrate (sand, gravel, planting soils) have fines in them, even a graded product like pool filter sand or gravel. The tank can get cloudy from the dust if you stir up the substrate when you were moving a decoration or planting. Or did not wash the substrate before using it. Or poured the water in so fast when you were filling the tank that it stirred up the substrate. Usually this sort of cloudiness will settle in several hours to a day or so. If you do a water change and deliberately stir the gravel or sand so there is more dust in the water then remove this water with the water change then there is less dust overall in the tank, though the water may be cloudy with the debris that you have not removed. Cichids and some other fish are notorious diggers, and will keep clouding the tank this way. If you have a bad substrate that keeps clouding the water change it for something that does not. (Or has a lot less dust to begin with. The filter will gradually remove whatever the fish stirs up)

4) Heterotrophic bacteria will grow wherever there is food. These species can grow fast enough to cloud the water. They are feeding on organic matter that might have gotten in the tank while you were setting it up, for example your own skin cells and oils. Usually these bacteria settle down within a few days to a week, These are not nitrifying bacteria, but are beneficial. They are usually triggered by a new set up, or some change that has provided more food for them.

5) Green water algae will begin growing looking like white or grey cloudy water before it turns green enough for you to see that it is algae. If you have any white polyester floss in your filter this might show green before the tank water looks green. If you have no live plants you can turn off the tank light and hope the green water algae dies, and there are other things you can do without buying algaecides.

6) Other: Someone put something in the water: Cheerios, Jell-O, paper or cardboard, all the fish food you just bought…
Diana is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 04:45 PM   #4
plantlover
Algae Grower

Default better

thanks for the post peps,well it is an algae bloom, have left my light off all day yesterday an added a teaspoon of acurel f and by midnight it was clear now i will have to clean tha filter in my tank water beacause this stuff clumps it up so the filter gets it.well now this mornn no lights still, it is a lil cloudy agin guess i better hurry an clean those filters an do a small water change,maybe put a blanket over tha tank any thoughts as to way it could cloud agin.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	clear tank 1.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	55011  

Last edited by plantlover; 10-08-2012 at 05:06 PM.. Reason: no pics
plantlover is offline   Reply With Quote