Plants are still in bad shape. Pulling my hair
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fertilizers and Water Parameters

Old 10-05-2012, 12:37 PM   #1
greenpointer
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

Plants are still in bad shape. Pulling my hair

As you can see (photos taken this morning) my plants are in dire shape and after ppl commented about my previous dosing regime I switched and I am now dosing: 5ml of N and K - three times a week, 4ml of PO4 - three times a week, 1 ml Fe - twice a week, and 2.1 ml flourish - twice a week. I do a 50% change once a week.

I have an 18" cube (25g) with four 23W cfl 6500k. Co2 injection, eco complete substrate, my tank temp is 76-80, and the light are on for about 8 hours a day...

What is wrong????? Even my floaters are dying off!!!!

greenpointer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2012, 01:37 PM   #2
chunkychun
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (16/100%)

I have the same tank and just started and was having a lot of issues too. Have you checked all your parameters? GH,Kh, nitrates etc? drop check/co2? I didn't before and when i did I was way off on my nitrates and gh. I checked my par and was way off too. changed a few things and now i'm finally seeing good pearling.
chunkychun is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2012, 03:27 PM   #3
mistergreen
No more Bow ties

PTrader: (13/100%)

If your floaters are dying it's a good sign you need more nutrients. You probably need more CO2 for the plants in the water too.

Cheap dry fertz is a good solution.
mistergreen is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2012, 06:38 PM   #4
greenpointer
Algae Grower

I think the water is really saturated with CO2 actually. I do get pearling and my ph is very low at 6.4.

I order a test kit to look deeper into my tank.

You think the amount of nutrients I add are not enough??
Old 10-05-2012, 06:42 PM   #5
BruceF
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

I don't know too much about these things but I would say you just have too much light.
BruceF is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2012, 06:48 PM   #6
greenpointer
Algae Grower

I will post in the lighting section about that. I heard this before...
Old 10-05-2012, 10:42 PM   #7
greenpointer
Algae Grower

I just tested my waters for the first time with my test kit - PH 6.4, ammonia at 0.25, 0 nitrite, and between 10-20 ppm of nitrate but probably closer to 20.

Thoughts?
Old 10-06-2012, 01:52 AM   #8
Sotty
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Are you using tap water or RO? I googled NYC water and it looks like GH is usually 4-5 according to google, which should be ok but might be worth checking. Otherwise not sure.

It also may be worth checking your KH, from the same sites it loks like NYC water usually has a KH of around 2 so pH of 6.4 would ballpark you around 25ppm CO2, decent but not pushing the envelope.

I would try to figure out the lighting and measure the GH. If all the easily measurable variables look good then start pushing the one that is much more difficult to measure, CO2, and assess for change in plant growth and fish behavior.

I may be missing something but that has been the one of the things I've picked up from some of the gurus. If all of the easily measurable stuff looks right and your lighting situation is appropriate the issue is probably the CO2 (though I wouldnt think this would affect the floaters).
Sotty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2012, 02:10 AM   #9
AlyeskaGirl
Algae Grower

You do have a lot of light. You have a lot of GSA and this can be an indication of too much light. It also can be from too low phosphates.

I also see leaf tips turning down and this can be an indication of not dosing enough Micros which would be Flourish Comprehensive. I'd start double dosing.

Do you have any pinholes in leaves?

I'd also raise the light up if you can.

Light, CO2 and fertilizers have to be balanced.
AlyeskaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2012, 02:38 AM   #10
Monster Fish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (31/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sotty View Post
Are you using tap water or RO? I googled NYC water and it looks like GH is usually 4-5 according to google, which should be ok but might be worth checking. Otherwise not sure.

It also may be worth checking your KH, from the same sites it loks like NYC water usually has a KH of around 2 so pH of 6.4 would ballpark you around 25ppm CO2, decent but not pushing the envelope.

To chime in, out of the tap, NYC tap water usually has 2 dGH, 2 dKH, and 7.2 PH.
RAOK Club #77|The Fraternity of Dirt #112
Monster Fish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2012, 02:25 PM   #11
tetra73
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster Fish View Post
To chime in, out of the tap, NYC tap water usually has 2 dGH, 2 dKH, and 7.2 PH.

In Brooklyn, the water is too damn soft. 0 GH and KH. 2ppm of phosphate. I have to add Seachem Equilibrium every time I do a water change.

Canon Pimp Club #005
tetra73 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2012, 02:33 PM   #12
tetra73
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

You have too much light. 4 23w CFL light in a 25g. Try to reduce to 2 bulbs here. Keep your CO2 drop checker to yellowish by mid day of the light cycle. Continue your EI dosing per 20g to 40g regiment. 5ml of N and K? Too little fert, assuming you are mixing 2 tablespoons of N or K into a 500l of water. 5ml of N would only give you approximately 3 to 4 ppm of N.

Canon Pimp Club #005
tetra73 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2012, 03:58 PM   #13
Monster Fish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (31/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetra73 View Post
In Brooklyn, the water is too damn soft. 0 GH and KH. 2ppm of phosphate. I have to add Seachem Equilibrium every time I do a water change.
Geez. That's like RO with just phosphate.
RAOK Club #77|The Fraternity of Dirt #112
Monster Fish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2012, 05:39 PM   #14
Sotty
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetra73 View Post

that's actually what i was expecting to find when I googled. I remember people talking about the water an saying it was ridiculously soft, but something about adding phosphates to cut down on pipe corrosion or something.
Sotty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2012, 11:41 AM   #15
greenpointer
Algae Grower

Tetra - where are you in brooklyn? I will try to find out my tap's parameters. I am dosing with Seachem - not with dry fertz. You sure two bulbs is not too little? I will try that though.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.