AGA Convention in St. Louis!!!
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Missouri

Old 04-30-2012, 02:24 AM   #1
BigMOCats
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

AGA Convention in St. Louis!!!

The Missouri Aquarium Society, Inc. is proud to announce that we will be hosting the Aquatic Gardeners Association 2012 Convention right here in St. Louis on November 1 - 4, 2012.
The convention will be held at the Crowne Plaza Hotel St. Louis Airport. See the link to the right to reserve a room. There is a free 24-hour shuttle from the airport to the hotel.
We'll have a great lineup of speakers--Prof. Niels Jacobsen of the University of Copenhagen in Denmark, eminent authority on Cryptocoryne species, will be the keynote speaker. Also featured will be Kris Weinhold, Brandon McLane of Florida Aquatic Nurseries, Tom Barr, and MORE! Speaker talks and bios coming soon!
This year we're going to have a Live Aquascaping Workshop. Under the guidance of a mentor, you can create your own nano aquascape to take home with you. Includes tank, all equipment, hardscape, and plants. (We're still negotiating the final price on this event, so stay tuned.)
Also new this year will be a Photo Contest - "Planted Tanks, Plants and Blooms". Winner announced and prize awarded at the Saturday Banquet.
For the first time ever, we've got two days of Field Trips. Come a day early and join us for the Thursday Field Trip to the St. Louis Zoo and nearby St. Louis Art Museum. At the zoo, we are trying to make arrangements for a free "behind the scenes" tour with a zoo employee who is a member of MASI. The Art Museum tour will be led by a docent who will focus on aquatic plant themes and fish/wildlife.
Thursday night, everyone is invited to a locally-sourced wine-and-cheese reception down the street from the hotel at Jerry Jost's business, Jost Chemical, including a tour of his spectacular fish room/laboratory with twin 90-gallon tanks that alone are worth the trip.
Friday's Field Trip will be to the fabulous Missouri Botanical Garden. Transportation and basic entry fees are included for both Field Trips. Lunch is on your own, but there are plenty of places to choose from.
Friday, November 2th, the presentations will begin in the evening and continue through Saturday afternoon. Saturday night's banquet will feature Niels Jacobsen speaking on his "Wanderings in the Great Forests of SE Asia," and of course the 2012 AGA Aquascaping Contest Winners!
And finally on Sunday November 4th, there is a huge all-day plant auction. This is certainly the biggest and best plant auction in the US, with plenty of options for the beginner and advanced hobbyist.
There will also be vendors, raffles, t-shirts, etc.
For more info: http://www.aquatic-gardeners.org/
Follow us on Facebook or Twitter @AGA2012STL.
Register by September 1st to be entered in a drawing to win a Tunze CO2 Controller, a $400 value!
BigMOCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2012, 03:27 AM   #2
DWFISH
Algae Grower

Can't wait for this to be in our backyard this year. We don't have to travel for this one. It's going to be a blast.

Everyone on the planted tank that is in the St.Louis area come to the Masi Meetings. You will get more information and even help out at this convention.

Derek
DWFISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 10:48 PM   #3
rainbowfishes
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

All of this talk about getting a local plant club together, boy if you missed this you've really missed out. They are close to announcing the particulars on the nano planted tank workshop. It will be one of those cube like things but with a mini-CO2 system, pretty cool. If you are into crypts you have to be around for the major speaker and also his banquet talk. That Tom guy :-) will be there too. I asked a few people about what type of plants that we can expect from FAN (Florida Aquatic Nursery) as other donations I've seen (locally) from other plant places haven't been real exceptional. Oh my gosh I was told, at the AGA FAN goes all out. Some stuff, if they told you, they would have to kill you, it's that new :-). I would suggest driving up with a buddy or two to save on gas and even find a room mate so you don't blow all of your $$ on the hotel. Save it for the auction plants because they will be unreal! Practice waving now, so you can make sure the auctioneer sees your hand! Save it for one of these nano tanks (but you better register early or you will miss out)! Derek, I'm sure you're going to gear up aren't you to bring some new and rare goodies to the auction? Can't wait.

cheers,

Gary
rainbowfishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 03:07 PM   #4
DWFISH
Algae Grower

Gary you know it! There has been some talk about a local plant club starting here in St.Louis. We can see if these guy can pull it off. Since every plant geek will be here from St.Louis. Besides just having it here in are own backyard it a treat!

Maybe I could spring out a couple of Bucepalandra!
DWFISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 06:07 AM   #5
spyke
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

Yes! Me want beucephelandras so bad!
spyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 06:37 PM   #6
JasonG75
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)

Just found out about this today..I live in Ark so it isnt that far of a drive for me.
The Fraternity of Dirt #26
Just because its dirt doesn't make it low Tech
75 Dirted
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ta...d-upgrade.html
JasonG75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 07:02 PM   #7
jerrybforl
Algae Grower

Send a message via AIM to jerrybforl Send a message via Skype™ to jerrybforl

I'm going! All paid for and booked up...:-D

JJ
jerrybforl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 06:15 AM   #8
plantbrain
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (255/100%)

Likely be some Rare Crypts in the Plant Auction..........
Old 08-23-2012, 02:26 AM   #9
spyke
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

I'm signed up! Whoo can't wait for the auction and speakers! Masi auctions are the best!
spyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 04:56 AM   #10
BigMOCats
Algae Grower

Itís October and time to make your hotel reservations if you havenít already made them. Itís likely our room block will be gone soon since the rooms are filling up quickly, so donít wait too long! There are rooms still available at this time so if you are told they are sold out, it is a computer glitch. Make sure you get the AGA rate!

The workshop and zoo trip have already sold out!
Old 10-14-2012, 04:32 AM   #11
BigMOCats
Algae Grower

Just been informed there a couple openings on the zoo tour, if you’re interested, get registered quickly, they won’t last long. Also, the cutoff day for hotel reservations is Monday, Oct. 15….if you want the AGA rate, don’t delay!!
Old 10-14-2012, 05:06 AM   #12
plantbrain
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (255/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWFISH View Post
Gary you know it! There has been some talk about a local plant club starting here in St.Louis. We can see if these guy can pull it off. Since every plant geek will be here from St.Louis. Besides just having it here in are own backyard it a treat!

Maybe I could spring out a couple of Bucepalandra!
I can help you folks organize that club if you wish. Done it a few times now for folks and they are all growing and frankly, large groups today.
Old 10-14-2012, 05:38 AM   #13
chad320
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (101/100%)

I will be down for this one. Its not going to get any closer for me too soon I dont think. Derek, it will be nice to finally meet you there
Old 10-24-2012, 04:53 AM   #14
BigMOCats
Algae Grower

The AGA 2012 Convention Auction rules and label making software are up and running. You must be registered for the convention to sell at the auction, but anyone, registered or not, can buy in the auction. To register as a seller and get you sellers number contact the auction committee at AGAauction@missouriaquariumsociety.com

You can fill out the auction form online and print both the filled out form and the labels at http://missouriaquariumsociety.com/A...der/index.html

There is still time to register for the convention, and there are still rooms left at the hotel in case you haven’t yet made your plans to attend: http://www.aquatic-gardeners.org/convention.html
Old 10-28-2012, 10:58 PM   #15
CherylRogers
Algae Grower

If you are bringing plants to the AGA Auction on Sunday, the best way to transport aquatic plants is wet, but with no excess, sloshy water, and packed fairly flat, with NO AIR in the bags. When you get to the hotel, you can blow them up so the leaves have room to fluff up again. The only plant that does better with enough water in the bag to cover it is Rotala Macrandra. Everything else only needs to be wet so the air inside the bag is humid. No loose water in the bag.
www.aquatic-gardeners.org
CherylRogers is offline   Reply With Quote