NJ LFS Tour [Oct 18] *Pics added - Page 13
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > New York

Old 10-19-2012, 02:20 PM   #181
hedge_fund
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (97/100%)

Nice pics and cool thread.

I grew up in NJ my entire life and only have been in Connecticut for 1 year. I have been to most of those stores multiple times.....my parents live 10 minutes from Absolutely Fish. ;-)
hedge_fund is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2012, 02:20 PM   #182
sunyang730
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)

I think it is like a win win for both the store and us,

Either they have the fish there and no one buy it and let it die and lost the money or sell to us for a cheaper price and they can get fresh stock and got a customer that spread the word of the place.

Ivan ( the person that help us in Fishtown) told me that we can bring in some moss or plant next time to trade.

I think they still earn some money, just not alot alot you know.

Please forgive me for my grammar mistakes!
sunyang730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 02:39 PM   #183
eeng168
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (99/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aokashi View Post
raise your hand if you take the 7 train!
*raises hand
Same here...
eeng168 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 02:47 PM   #184
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

PTrader: (175/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryu1 View Post
$10 dollars off for aqua soil? What is a 9L bag cost? I would love to go with you guys if this is on a Sat.
They had amazonia, africana and malaya in the two bag sizes

Quote:
you take the 7 train... ? i though u lived in the bronx?
Yes. You're probably thinking of our friend MrBrongher who was missed on this trip. He's a staple to our band of aquaria misfits

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunyang730 View Post
The original price is $43 something FYI. Plus the tax it came out to $38 something. Still good though.
They were priced at $44.99 then granted us $10 off to $34.99 + nj sales tax. A decent price for this product and instant gratification with pickup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeng168 View Post
If I knew you take the 7 train, I would have had a bag of trimming for you!
Awesome! I do the Bus to train, then train to bus commute. an hour and 15 each way x2 daily x5 weekly = lots of time to catching up on tv shows on the ipod.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jellie View Post
Thanks for posting the pictures, all! I picked up my sweet Pygs from Sunyang at Pacific, after we both stood around for about 5 minutes staring at each other like strangers. He had his BAS bag with him, which gave me a hint, lol. Thank you so much, Albert & Kitty for coordinating with me, and Sunyang for drop off <3
We wish you were there Julie. We had some crazy antics along the way. Livestock galore! Its just that much more fun with everyone cramming into a van.

Quote:
raise your hand if you take the 7 train!
*raises hand
*raises hand*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedge_fund View Post
Nice pics and cool thread.

I grew up in NJ my entire life and only have been in Connecticut for 1 year. I have been to most of those stores multiple times.....my parents live 10 minutes from Absolutely Fish. ;-)
I only knew of absolutely fish when relatives moved to Clifton. Paid a visit each time we were in the area. I was so impressed with the quality and diversity of aquaria in the proximity. I have probably passed fishtown USA dozens of times when I had my mini serviced north on rt17. Never really gave it much thought about stopping by as the exterior left a lot to be desired. This actually is a common theme with most of these stores off the highway. Boy were we in for a treat yesterday.

How would these compare to the aquarium up in greenwich and stamford? house of fins and greenwich aquaria are the only ones i've been to? (planning the next LFS tour already)

Jake, Ed, Flo, we'll have to catch up separately in the coming weeks for various things.

Last edited by acitydweller; 10-19-2012 at 04:57 PM.. Reason: hokey pokey
acitydweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 02:59 PM   #185
aokashi
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)

I'm still crying over the pygmies I didn't get.
aokashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 03:58 PM   #186
shloken38
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)

Glad you guys had fun in NJ.....welcome to my world! Guess you didn't get to visit Fish Hut? And one thing I learned in Absolutely Fish is that you can haggle the price with them, unless it says "net" next to the price on the tank. Haven't tried it myself yet, so can't comment on how much of a discount they give.

If you guys plan one of these trips on a Saturday, I'm definitely in and would be more than happy to provide transportation in NJ. I live 5 minutes from the Lincoln and 10 from the Hoboken PATH.
2.5 Gallon - Pea Puffer
5.5 Gallon - RCS, Ghost Shrimp, Ember Tetras, Sparkling Gouramis, Bumble Bee Gobies
10 Gallon - Pure Black Bar Endlers
29 Gallon - Planted Community - Cherry Barbs, Neon Tetras, Various Cory Cats, Albino Bristlenose Pleco
shloken38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 04:15 PM   #187
hedge_fund
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (97/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by acitydweller View Post
How would these compare to the aquarium up in greenwich and stamford? house of fins and greenwich aquaria are the only ones i've been to? (planning the next LFS tour already)
I only know of the two that you mentioned. I actually live 3 blocks away from House of Fins but I rarely go in there. I'm more of an online shopper since it's 10x easier....add to cart, pay and it shows up to your door. Cool thing about Greenwich is that UPS or any other carrier never leave the little notes that they missed you...they just leave it at your front door since there is no way anybody is going to take it in this town.

Let me know next time you're all getting together for a CT pet store run. FYI. Greenwich Aquaria is about 90% saltwater stuff with very little freshwater stuff.
hedge_fund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 04:48 PM   #188
F22
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

what gives? No love for Rt 4?
F22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 04:55 PM   #189
kubalik
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (35/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by F22 View Post
what gives? No love for Rt 4?
we really wanted to stop by, but ran out of time ... maybe next time.
kubalik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 04:57 PM   #190
F22
Planted Tank Guru

bum out

we have been slammed with stock this week,

PS i give a 15% forum discount on everything but tanks, dogs, and sale items
Old 10-19-2012, 05:41 PM   #191
VivaDaWolf
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)

I would soo want to work there.

Albert, those banded looking shrimp at ada store on the counter were amanos!
VivaDaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 06:00 PM   #192
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

PTrader: (175/100%)

Sorry F22. Rt4 aquarium was literally was removed on the itinerary at the last min but i am hoping for a return trip in the near term, maybe in a week or two... if anyone dares venture forth with me.

Viva, on at the ADA store... i think i got the display tanks mixed up due to me staring at those blue shrimp. if they are amanos, then i'll pass. have two already and seeing them berry does nothing for me :P
Old 10-19-2012, 07:22 PM   #193
F22
Planted Tank Guru

@acidity:

If you plan on coming please call me at the shop with any fish requests you have and I will be sure to get them in for you.

Thanks!
Mike
201 797 6655
Old 10-19-2012, 07:25 PM   #194
chibikaie
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)

There is a fish store in Stamford, but I don't like them. They sell rabbits and other small pets, which I refuse to support. I work with rabbit rescues, and I don't like seeing animals jammed into small cages and sold to people who won't take good care of them because they "don't know any better."

I don't think there's anything farther east. Norwalk had something at one point, but I'm fairly certain that it closed. The Norwalk Petsmart is less of a disaster livestock-wise than the Stamford one (entire dirty tank full of dead shrimp), but nothing special.

Norwalk Aquarium might be a good place to visit as a non-shopping trip.
chibikaie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 07:47 PM   #195
eeng168
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (99/100%)

Quote:
I'm still crying over the pygmies I didn't get.
I should be crying, after the long journey home in the little bag with his 7 buddies, I lost one while rinsing away the debris in the water over the sink. Little guy got sucked into the downward current as I was pouring (he didn't stay down) and went down the sink.
eeng168 is online now   Reply With Quote