The Planted Tank Forum banner

Ramen Lover's 55G Planted Tank - low tech community tank

6K views 18 replies 13 participants last post by  Grimnokk 
#1 · (Edited)
SCROLL DOWN FOR DECEMBER 2012 UPDATE
-------------------------
I figured I should make a journal of my tank. I should have created one when I first set the tank up.. but I didn't really take many photos.

I set this tank up in July 2012.. let it cycle for about 4 weeks, then at the beginning of August 2012, I added a complete stock of fish.. I had been dosing 4ppm of ammonia per day when cycling to ensure that my 55G would be able to handle a full stock of fish.

Tank Equipment
-Deep Blue Professional 55G Tank with Deep Blue Professional Stand.
-Catalina 48" T5HO Single Bulb light setup on for 7 hrs a day
-Custom made screen cover using window mesh to reduce the light. no algae problems at all.
-Rena XP3 Canister filter
-Aquaclear 50 HOB filter with Fluval edge pre-filter sponge (for the shrimp)
-Aqueon Pro 250W Heater
-Hydor Koralia Nano 425 power head
-100lbs of eco-complete substrate
-No CO2
-5ml of Excel every other day
-Just put in RootMedic Complete root tabs today on 10/7/2012. We'll see if the plants grow more.

Fauna
-25 Harlequin Rasboras
-15 Neon Tetras
-6 Ottos
-25+ RCS

Flora
-anubias nana
-anubias congensis
-micro swords
-wisteria
-amazon sword
-java moss
-flame moss
-other plants that I forgot the name of

Full Tank Shot:

Another shot of the tank:

Just a photo of one of my regular RCS

I know I probably need more plants on the right side.. but I want to see how my root tabs I just put in effects my plant growth. It seems my mosses, micro swords, and wisteria grew the most with just dosing with Excel.

I'll probably add some more plants to the right of the tank.. who knows. I recently purchased a 6G GLA rimless tank that I am working on setting up and will start a journal once I actually get it going. My 6G GLA rimless will be a co2 high-tech tank. Probably won't get it going for at least another month or two.

-------------------------------------------------------------
December 25, 2012 Update!!

^Photo of how it sits right now as of Dec 25, 2012. Second moss tree was just added about a week ago (moss tree on the right. The left one has been up for a few months now.. but recently trimmed the left one to add moss to the create the new right one).
-School of Harlequin Rasboras
-School of Neon Tetras
-Couple of Otos
-Probably 100 RCS in there somewhere
-2 Assassin Snails

^School of Neon Tetras

See less See more
#4 ·
you only have 1 light bulb over your tank? How are your plants doing with that setup? I have 4x40 watt t12 and it seems like an over kill on watts, and just enough par for my plants. Btw the tank looks awesome. Good lukc with it in the future.

#5 ·
I have a T5HO bulb (high output).. which I believe is much stronger than a T12. Plus it is made by Catalina. and their reflectors are quite good.. so there isn't much light that is lost. If I didn't have a cover over the water, I probably would have some algae. I made a window screen mesh cover lid that goes over the tank that filters some of the light so its not as strong.

#6 ·
Where did you get your light fixture from? I have been looking for a way to reduce watts and keep my plants healthy. My reflectors are bad and my lights arn't great. I did add aluminum to increase the reflection but that only does so much.

#8 ·
WOW!!!

Tank looks very nice!!! Love the petrified wood!!! Looks very healthy!

Subscribed!!!

Drew

#10 ·
I've been going strong for a few months with no algae issues at all. Plus I think my otto crew cleans up the glass pretty well.

my 420 koralia isn't really that strong at all. My filter is stronger than the koralia. I actually have the koralia aimed at a corner of the tank so it takes away some of the power and disperses it more evently. my fish and plants aren't really affected.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.