Cheap dosing pump!!
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 07-17-2005, 10:29 PM   #1
m.lemay
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

Cheap dosing pump!!

Check this out, its a vacuum operated pump that can be used for dosing.Tom Aqua Lifter I just ordered one to see how it works. I'll let you know. At $10 this might be the ticket.

Marcel
FILSTAR Pimp #2

75 gal heavily planted,50/50 Black beauty,Eco-complete substrate, Pressurised CO2 with solenoid, ph controller, AB Reactor 1000, 330 watts 9325K GE PC lighting,Ehiem Liquidoser, 2-Filstar xp3 canisters.
m.lemay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2005, 11:49 PM   #2
jmelnek
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (11/100%)

Good luck on that, it seems like this is very economical (does not happen very often with me and tanks). Keep us informed....

Josh

MiAPG (Michigan Aquatic Plant Group) - Join today!
jmelnek is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2005, 12:14 AM   #3
zapus
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

You can find some specs for this pump here. Just click Products, then Aqualifter.
Old 07-18-2005, 12:24 AM   #4
m.lemay
Planted Tank Guru

Hey thanks for that spec page. I couldn't find the specs on it earlier. Now I need a digital timer that can be programmed in for second intervals. Any ideas?

Marcel
FILSTAR Pimp #2

75 gal heavily planted,50/50 Black beauty,Eco-complete substrate, Pressurised CO2 with solenoid, ph controller, AB Reactor 1000, 330 watts 9325K GE PC lighting,Ehiem Liquidoser, 2-Filstar xp3 canisters.
Old 07-20-2005, 12:22 AM   #5
zapus
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

The volume figure for the Aqualifter is given as 0.22 liters / minute and the pressure as 30" (assumable, this is inches of water column). Most positive-pressure pump specs show a curve for volume plotted against head pressure (resistance). I should think that vacuum pumps would function in a similar fashion. I'm not sure if they're saying that it pumps .22 l/m @ 30" wc or if these are maximum figures for each, but I would guess the latter. I reckon a mite of experimentation is called for. Most of the Intermatic digital timers have a minimum interval of one minute, which would be a bit much (at .22 l) unless your tank evaporates as fast as mine seems to, but the actual flow rate may be substantially lower, which in this case might be a good thing.
Old 07-20-2005, 01:44 AM   #6
plantbrain
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (254/100%)

An IV drip plus a solenoid is cheap.

Regards,
Tom Barr
plantbrain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2005, 02:21 AM   #7
m.lemay
Planted Tank Guru

1 minute seems to be the minimum on time for most timers I've seen. My75 evaporates about 3 gallons a week which is more than enough to make up for the .22liters/min.

A solenoid valve would work but then theres the problem of hiding the drip container as it has to be above the water mark. A decent solenoid valve had to be at least $20 last time I checked.

I'm gonna do some experimenting with the pump. I might also be able to regulate the flow with an airline valve to fine tune it a little. I'll let you guys know how this all pans out. At $9.99, I figured I'd give it a shot. My daily coffee habit cost more than that.

Marcel
FILSTAR Pimp #2

Old 07-20-2005, 02:28 AM   #8
scolley
Planted Tank Guru

This is a pretty cool idea Marcel. I look forward to the results. And IMO a little flow control (like from Aquatic Ecosystems) could be just the ticket to slowing down that flow rate.
Old 07-20-2005, 03:27 AM   #9
BOTIA
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

These were made for large overflows to stop air bubbles collecting in the upsdown U section thusly stopping the flow.
Botia

QUOTE=m.lemay]Check this out, its a vacuum operated pump that can be used for dosing.Tom Aqua Lifter I just ordered one to see how it works. I'll let you know. At $10 this might be the ticket.

Marcel[/QUOTE]
BOTIA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2005, 11:00 PM   #10
m.lemay
Planted Tank Guru

I just got the pump, took it out of the box, and I did some very preliminary testing. It's simple to change the flow rate by simply changing how much head pressure there is. Raise the source and get more flow lower the source and get less flow. At 50" head pressure it's like a drop per second. So the 1 minute minimum timer setting won't be a problem. A kalkawaser pump it's not, this thing is really dependent on head presure to getits flow rate. A preliminary tests shows it'll pump 250ml in 6 minutes @30" head pressure. and 500ml in 12 minutes.The one nice thing about it is that it has a built in back flow preventer so that when the power cuts off, the fluid in the tube doesn't back up.

Problem #1: The verticle distance from the stand floor to the the top of the tank is 56" . At that head pressure the flow is decreased considerably.

I'm doing another test with the actual head pressure this thing is gonna see and report back.

Marcel
FILSTAR Pimp #2

Old 07-22-2005, 11:10 PM   #11
shalu
Wannabe Guru

Great idea. I might get a few of these if it works out for you. Is the pump noisy at all?
10gallon Tonina tank, 2x15w T6 ODNO 4x
---------------------
I will do aquascapes after I collect all the plant species and grow them to perfection.
shalu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2005, 11:29 PM   #12
m.lemay
Planted Tank Guru

It's about as loud as a quality air pump. Actually it sounds just like an air pump and works the same way except its made to pump water.
FILSTAR Pimp #2

Old 07-22-2005, 11:45 PM   #13
m.lemay
Planted Tank Guru

500ml in 40 minutes at 52" head pressure, which is what my tank will typically see. I might be able to use this for topoff with a longer duration, if the pump doesn't burn out first. I'll be running some more experiments. They don't reccomend using this pump over 30"head pressure, but I think it's mainly because it doesn't pump much at that head pressure. I don't think the pump will burn out.
FILSTAR Pimp #2

Old 07-22-2005, 11:49 PM   #14
shalu
Wannabe Guru

I forgot, the pump is only on for a short period on timer, so noise is not a problem sounds like we are going to have cheap automated aquariums soon.
10gallon Tonina tank, 2x15w T6 ODNO 4x
---------------------
I will do aquascapes after I collect all the plant species and grow them to perfection.
shalu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2005, 01:13 PM   #15
scolley
Planted Tank Guru

I don't suppose there is any way to rig this in-line is there?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.