Looking for a big piece of DW SA/ATX area
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Texas

Old 09-19-2012, 07:46 PM   #1
Bear Sage
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)

Looking for a big piece of DW SA/ATX area

Looking to stick a fat piece of driftwood in a turtle tank for some basking. If anyone knows a great spot on any rivers or lakes between Lake Travis to Lake Medina that has such pieces, lemme know please. Or if you have one collecting dust I'll buy at a fair price and/or trade for any flora/fauna in my tanks.

Thank you
Bear Sage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 08:51 PM   #2
Bear Sage
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)

Also a canister filter for 55g+...
Old 09-20-2012, 02:00 PM   #3
polukoff
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

I would figure out how to get tannins out of cedar and use that, you can find so much of it everywhere!
polukoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 09:30 PM   #4
Dr_Hoatzin
Algae Grower

PTrader: (6/100%)

Cedar is full of oils that are highly toxic to many invertebrates and small creatures, i would avoid it if it were my tank.
Dr_Hoatzin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 10:31 PM   #5
PlantedRich
Planted Tank Guru

I use lots of cedar here in the local Austin area. There are lots of theories on how to remove tannins/sap from wood but in my experience there is only one way that works in the amount of time I'm willing to wait. I let nature do it for me. With cedar, it may takes 10 years or more but nature has patience down much better than I do.

You mention the lakes. If you have a boat, you got it made right now. All the lakes are low and there is a ton of wood on the shore that is ripe for use. If you don't have a boat, you just have to work a bit harder to get to the good stuff. Do some searching on the mapping sites for good spots and then go trekking. I use Google maps and zoom in on the lake shore. When you can see wood piled on the shore from aerial photos, you can be sure there is a bunch there you can't see. The good stuff hides when planes fly over!
Since we often have South or West prevailing winds, search along the North shore first. Once you spot several likely spots, find a nearby place to get to the water and start walking. Take a small folding saw along to cut those special nice pieces that are too big to drag. Find something that is still solid, not rotten but fully dry. No bark left for sure!
If you cut an end off and the wood is a uniform color all the way through, it is dry and you likely have a winner.
If you want cedar, go way back up away from the water where wood may have been there 15-20 years and you will find Mother has taken care to remove the tannins. There is every type, shape and kind out there.

Root wood

Small stump

Unknown wood

Cedar slab

Cedar that is fully dry.
PlantedRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 06:15 AM   #6
farebox
Algae Grower

Default Filstar XP-3 and DW pcs.

I have an XP-3 just taken down from 55G tank last week. Willing to sell, make an offer, also DW pcs laying around. Contact me email: rolewilson63@gmail.com
farebox
farebox is offline   Reply With Quote