oriental fire belly newts - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion > Herp (Reptiles and Amphibians)

Old 10-16-2012, 04:22 AM   #16
Nubster
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)

I love red spotted newts. I used to catch those guys by the dozens and keep them in a 5g bucket with bricks stacked up so they could crawl out of the water if they wanted. I'd keep and watch them a few days and release them. Never tried keeping them long term in an aquarium though. Might be a cool project for next year. The juveniles are awesome too. I wish they'd stay that super bright red for life.
EVIL Camera Pimp member #1
NIKON Pimp Club member #012
SunSun Pimp Club member #069

20L OEBT/Super Tiger/PFR Tank 20L Yellow Neo tank

Nubster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2012, 05:29 AM   #17
lochaber
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

I had one in a small paludarium once (a long time ago). kinda interesting critter. usually fed it pellets, can't remember if they were specifically for newts, or if they happened to be cichlid, turtle, or some generic pellet it took a liking too. A friend of mine used to hand feed it, by sticking some pellets on her wet finger and putting it in front of the newt. bit her (and hung on) a few times, but I guess it didn't hurt, cause she didn't stop feeding it. didn't make the newt look terribly bright though...

I've heard the toxins in their skin (most amphibians have this) can bother other critters in the tank, but I think I just kept mine with some feeder guppies.

seemed to be pretty easy to care for from what I remember.
lochaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 02:52 AM   #18
Lynke
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I love those little guys! Currently planning out a nice tank for them, however I gotta take care of upgrading my African clawed frogs into their final home first XD I really can't wait to get things going with the newts though I love water/land setups and can't wait to design and plant the tank for them. They are awesome to watch too, especially around feeding time.
Lynke is offline   Reply With Quote