10 Gallon With DIY 3D Background and Surface Land Moss Garden
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 10-27-2013, 11:38 PM   #1
Nobody
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

10 Gallon With DIY 3D Background and Surface Land Moss Garden

Disclaimer- My first tank, can't match the beauty of you pros here but maybe someone will find it interesting. Suggestions, or flames, welcome.

Current 10/25/13 (week 3):

Materials
10 gallon aquarium, DIY 3D background (stryofoam, Drylok, Quikrete CHAR Cement Color), Yeast C02, Miracle Gro Organic Potting Soil + gravel, clamp lamp with 32 watt 6500k CFL bulb, Aquaclear 20, heater.

Flora
Water Sprite (Narrow Leaf), Ludwigia Repens, Dwarf Baby Tears, Java Moss, Willow Moss, Marimo Ball, Pygmy Chain Sword (just kinda thrown in there for now)

Fauna
9 White Cloud Mountain Minnows, 6 Ghost Shrimp, 1 Amano Shrimp

My goal with my first tank was to do something a bit different while keeping costs low. I decided to make a DIY 3D rock background with a garden on top of the water and helping to hide the HOB filter. I also used this to make the substrate area of the tank smaller so I could cover all the aquatic plants with a single CFL bulb.

The Water Sprite and Ludwigia have grown tons in the 20 days this tank has been up. I might change up the Water Sprite, it's kind of blocking off a lot of the light. I have the Ludwigia positioned where they are because I kind of like how it frames the view, kind of like an archway looking into this little world. The Chain Sword is kinda just there, probably taking it out. The Dwarf Baby Tears have grown/spread a little bit, I might have to switch the substrate to eco complete or flourite, add some dry ferts and/or up the lighting to get it to carpet, we'll see, just winging it since I'm new. For now I've stuck some land moss from outside in the garden without much thought, I'll rearrange it eventually.

shaky cam video of the tank 10/25/13 forgive my poor camera skills >,< -

garden-

Here's a shot of week 2 (earliest I have) to compare and see 1 weeks worth of growth... damn water sprite

Imgur album with a few extra pictures- http://imgur.com/a/AE5qe

Go easy on me

Last edited by Nobody; 10-28-2013 at 03:12 PM.. Reason: messed up with redundant attachments
Nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement