New member, new tank
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 03-13-2013, 01:28 AM   #1
export!

PTrader: (0/0%)

New member, new tank

I've dabbled with a 10gal before and even did a stint with pressurized CO2. That was around 4yrs ago. Now my daughter has shown some interest so I got *her* a new tank for her birthday (yeah - completely for her!) and got it rolling last weekend.

36gal bowfront, HOB+SunSun canister. 2x24W T5HO (Nova Exteme). Pressurized CO2. 3" of Eco-Complete. Dry ferts, macros and Plantex. I'm attempting PPS-Pro right now and watching my nitrate levels to try and get an idea of how much the plants are feeding.

I did my research, spent the dough and I'm hoping for the best.

The one thing I might have to address is my lighting. Right now I have two 12K tubes and I'm wondering if I might have more success with a 6500 mixed in.

I've started with some Cabomba, Amazon Sword, Hornwort, Micro Sword, a bit of Java Moss and something I cannot identify. I've attached a picture of the plant I cannot identify.

Looking for any tips or advice or ideas on things I might be doing right/wrong.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20130312_201345 (Small).jpg
Views:	32
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	103962  

export! is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2013, 02:04 AM   #2
ray-the-pilot
Planted Member

The problem with PPS pro is that it doesn't require any water changes. This is just not good.
I've been doing a modified PPS plan for 5 years and I do 20% water changes per week.
I think you should accept that you will have to do at least a 7 gal water change per week.
Also 2x24 T5 lamps seem to be too low of an output for your tank. It is hard to say for sure since lamps are all different. If you have a meter, you should look for about 1000LUX or 25 PAR
Old 03-13-2013, 03:04 AM   #3
Darkblade48

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by export! View Post
I've attached a picture of the plant I cannot identify.
Hemigraphis colorata; a non-aquatic plant.

A Primer to Pressurized CO2 and A Primer to Planted Tanks
Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
Darkblade48 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2013, 04:29 AM   #4
export!

Geez, honestly - a non aquatic plant? Like the Petsmart Mondo grass? I'm surprised. I thought the place I bought it at was reliable.

R-T-P, I plan on doing 25% water changes no matter what. Hopefully this will work with my dosing regimen.
Old 03-18-2013, 02:59 PM   #5
export!

I bought a shoal of fish to play among the plants. I believe these are juvenile X-Ray (Pristella) tetras?? They are keeping a tight formation but they've only been in the tank a day. Hopefully they will continue to hang out together.

The non-aquatic plant bunch I was sold, Hemigraphis colorata, is throwing down roots like crazy. I've read that they can do ok for maybe a month or two. Should I just keep an eye out for degradation or yank them now? I imagine I can find some red ludwigia fairly easily. That would give me the red colours I was looking for.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9369 (Medium).jpg
Views:	12
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	107706  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.