emersed?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Plants

Old 10-07-2012, 04:16 PM   #1
Soothing Shrimp
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (131/100%)

emersed?

Are there emersed plants that tend to grow better than others for the beginner?
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2012, 04:27 PM   #2
Monster Fish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)

Dwarf hairgrass, certain stems (ludwigia, hygrophila), and crypts have done well for me. I'm currently trying out HC and Hydrocotyle sp. japan.
RAOK Club #77|The Fraternity of Dirt #112
Monster Fish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2012, 04:45 PM   #3
Seattle_Aquarist
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (38/100%)

Hi Soothing Shrimp,

+1 for Monster Fish's comment. It helps if you start with plants that are growing emersed to begin with avoiding the loss that occurs during transition from submerged to emersed.

I grow the following species emersed (the ones with * grow the easiest for me):
Acmella repens
Anubias minima
Anubias barteri var. nana 'Petite'
Bacopa salzmannii*
Ceratopteris cornuta
Cryptocoryne parva
Cryptocoryne nurii
Cryptocoryne wendtii 'Florida Sunset'
Cryptocoryne usterianna x walkeri
Eriocaulon parkeri
Eleocharis sp. (tall)**
Eleocharis sp. 'Belem'**
Hemianthus callitrichoides**
Helanthium tenellum
Hydrocotyle sp 'Japan'**
Hygrophila lancea**
Hygrophila pinnatifida
Hygrophila polysperma 'Sunset'**
Hygrophila polysperma 'Tiger'**
Lindernia rotundifolia 'Variegated'
Ludwigia glandulosa
Ludwigia sp. 'Red'**
Penthorum sedoides**
Pogostemon erectus
Pogostemon helferi
Ranunculus inundatus**
Riccia fluitans**
Staurogyne repens

Seattle_Aquarist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2012, 05:18 PM   #4
zoo minsi
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)

just started an emersed setup back a month or so ago. cryptocoryne wendtii green and red both are doing well for me also cryptocoryne green gecko. My cryptocoryne nurii died but only had one i was trying. Also trying downoi 1 is doing well while the other one is struggling a bit, good luck.
zoo minsi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2012, 07:20 PM   #5
steven p
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

I've been grabbing the random loose stems that end up floating around my tanks and putting them into a dirted "dry" 10 gallon tank. My girlfriend comments regularly on the rapid growth of the broadleaf ludwigia repens. They feel rubbery when grown like this too, really neat to touch. I've had hairgrasses grow scary fast, especially giant hairgrass. I think the smaller eleocharis plants just grow slower than the big ones anyway. My tropica crypts were babies when i planted them, but now that they have grown a bit, growth has started to pick up. Creeping jenny is another awesome one to play with, garden centers get it all the time. Bacopa monierri(cf?) is moody to transition in my tanks, mixed luck there.

Peace lilies enjoy wet feet and humid air. Swords, especially healthy ones, should transition well. MOSSES, i have flame moss growing on the glass! Doesnt even make sense to me, but it's neat. I'm playing with some emersed moss in a less controlled tank as well.. just kinda chillin by a window.

There are a couple duckweed floaters that wont die, water lettuce melts quickly in an emersed tank however.

Anubias sp. are rumored to do very well, I just put a rhizome in my plant tank last night actually to try it.

Last edited by steven p; 10-07-2012 at 07:21 PM.. Reason: accidentally clicked quick reply too soon
steven p is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2012, 07:56 PM   #6
Diana
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

Many of the aquarium plants are actually tropical plants that grow emersed part of the year and under water during the rainy season. It is great to get some ideas of what has worked for others, but I would suggest that pretty much all the aquarium plants are worth a try, if you can set up a damp, humid place with good water and air movement. Stagnant dampness it likely to encourage fungi.
Many house plants are almost the same, growing in damp to wet situations but not as often submerged. Spathiphyllum is like that. It will survive under water for a while, but is great in a place where it gets nutrients from the water but the leaves are exposed to the air.
Often plants will have different leaves above the water and under the water, so there may be a transition time.
I find it better to grow a plant under water, if that is the way it came to me, and let it decide when to grow out of the water.
Bacopa, Hydrocotyle and several others have gradually poked some stems out of the water, and often bloom. Floating plants like Water Lettuce, Ceratopteris, Water Hyacinth and others might grow in damp soil, but do better for me floating. Riccia has grown really well on the sides of my HOB filters, in the damp, but out of the direct, strong flow.
Diana is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2012, 08:24 PM   #7
Soothing Shrimp
Planted Tank Guru

Okay folks, now here's a kicker, all of the plants have to grow in the 60's F since it would be for a newt tank.

I know ludwigia repens would, but since I'm new at this, I really have to look at some others to see if they would or not.
Old 10-07-2012, 08:27 PM   #8
@marko@
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (57/100%)

you can look and my emersed setup thread (in my sig). all those plants are in waterlogged miracle grow and growing fine, so they should all be very easy to keep emersed.
Old 10-07-2012, 08:46 PM   #9
Soothing Shrimp
Planted Tank Guru

Will do marko. Thanks.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.