Anyone wanna help a gal with a 60-P stand build?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 07-26-2012, 06:47 PM   #1
Jaguar
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via Skype™ to Jaguar

Anyone wanna help a gal with a 60-P stand build?

I bought myself a 60-P for Christmas and haven't gotten a stand for it yet. I want to cry every time I see it sitting there in the corner going to waste.

I have tried contacting local cabinet shops, tried looking for prebuilt stuff, or even something I could modify to turn into a stand... in 7 months, I have found nothing.

I *FINALLY* have a bit of money put aside for this project and I am now thinking I should go with a DIY ADA stand build.

Thing is, I don't have a car, so I need to bring home all these supplies on the public bus. Meaning I can't bring home a massive saw. I need to have the entire thing pre-cut by Home Depot, hopefully they will do everything down to cord holes.

I would really, really love to draw up a diagram and do all the measurements myself but I just don't have the time right now. I would really appreciate it if someone could help me come up with some plans for a stand. Mostly measurements that I could pass off to Home Depot.

I have NO power tools and would like to buy as few as possible... which also means I will probably not have the time/resources to put any kind of laminate/formica on it, so I need suggestions about sealing it against water (epoxy paint?) as well.

I would like to spend no more than maybe $300 when all is said and done. That covers any necessary tools/equipment too... might seem like a big budget but I need everything from screws and glue to a power drill, clamps, etc.

Thanks. If someone already has a sketch up somewhere I'm sorry for posting a duplicate thread.
Jaguar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2012, 07:01 PM   #2
wastedtime
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (22/100%)

This should help you out a bit: http://www.projectaquarium.com/plant...riumStand.aspx

You can use outdoor latex based paints. You will need to prime the wood before that.

I've seen some people use pre built bathroom sink cabinets and mod it to remove the sink and just use the cabinet. I am pretty sure there is a thread here somewhere about that.
wastedtime is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2012, 09:57 PM   #3
Jaguar
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I have that page saved but it's for a bigger stand for the 120, I really just need measurements for each piece of plywood and a list of things I'll need to pick up. If I had a car this would be 10x easier but knowing me and my scatterbrain I'll get the wrong screws or forget something and have to make the 2 hr trek to Home Depot 3 times on the city bus in 100-degree weather to get everything right.

I have thought about using a vanity but most of them are quite deep and my conduit hangers would not work with anything over 15" deep ... otherwise I would have to make new ones... and i think anything narrower than 15 would be a tipping hazard with the toe kicks?

Last edited by Jaguar; 07-26-2012 at 10:10 PM.. Reason: reason
Old 07-26-2012, 11:10 PM   #4
Bushkill
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

Not sure about the Home Depot in your area of BC, but I would bet they will deliver a vanity. Circular saws aren't that expensive. Lastly the tipping hazard fear is well-founded. Position the cabinet with an edge lining up with a stud in the wall behind it. There are several ways to secure it for less than a dollar.
Bushkill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2012, 11:12 PM   #5
xmas_one
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)

I picked up a cool metal open stand for my 60p at PETCO. I think it was called a Manhattan.
xmas_one is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2012, 11:19 PM   #6
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (74/100%)

You can build a good stand from either plywood or MDF. One critical thing to keep in mind is that plywood is not the thickness it is sold as, while MDF is. 3/4 inch plywood is much less than 3/4 inch thick. 3/4 inch MDF is exactly 3/4 inch thick. When designing a stand to be built from all pre-cut pieces you absolutely need to know the actual thickness of the material you will use.

Consider buying a air powered brad driver to assemble the pre-cut pieces. You need a small air compressor to use that. If your home is not such that you can store the compressor easily, or use it safely, you can always use Dry Wall screws. With those you need a cordless electric hand drill and a few drill bits, plus the screw driver bit to match the phillips socket on the screws. That is much easier to store and use safely.

I think your first step is to decide what material you will use. I strongly recommend MDF, even though some here believe that is a terrible material to use. (My 65 gallon tank stand is made of MDF.)

Another stand option to consider is Hydrophyte's "industrial style" stand, which is easy to make, and requires a minimum of tools, and can easily be made from pre-cut pieces: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=85748 As you can see, these can look extremely good, too.

Last edited by Hoppy; 07-26-2012 at 11:22 PM.. Reason: Add more info
Hoppy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2012, 12:28 AM   #7
PlantedRich
Planted Tank Guru

There two options you may be overlooking. With a $300 budget, you should be in pretty easy. Does Home Depot in your area rent trucks? I did away with keeping a truck and find it efficient to rent when I need one.
Second thought is on finding a builder from Craigslist. Depends on your area but that would work very well locally. Get an easy to build design and put up a help wanted ad. Check the references carefully though. Nuts are out there in droves!
Not something a regular cabinet guy would want to mess with but stands are pretty simple for the guys who have the tools. They also often have the truck to bring it to you when they are done. Just don't ask them to design it as that is where time comes into play. Are you up to doing the finish yourself? That can save a lot of money as it is the fiddly part that takes time.
I have done this for materials plus $20 but if I have to finish it, the price goes to $100!
PlantedRich is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2012, 12:41 AM   #8
Jaguar
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Bushkill - I think they would deliver one for a fee. I haven't gone in to look at their stock but the online selection was quite poor... I didn't really see any I liked that weren't super expensive.

xmas_one - unfortunately, no Petco here. I have looked at Petsmart but their stands are easy to distinguish as cheap big box stands and just won't look nice with an ADA tank.

Hoppy - Thanks for the tip about the plywood. You're right that I don't have enough space to store/safely use a compressor.
Please explain to me the difference between the MDF you speak of and the MDF I'm thinking of that turns into sawdust when it comes in contact with water!

PlantedRich - no license unfortunately. I did put an ad up seeking someone to build the cabinet for me though. I mailed around 10 custom cabinetry shops weeks ago and not a single one replied!
Old 07-27-2012, 02:00 AM   #9
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
Hoppy - Thanks for the tip about the plywood. You're right that I don't have enough space to store/safely use a compressor.
Please explain to me the difference between the MDF you speak of and the MDF I'm thinking of that turns into sawdust when it comes in contact with water!
"Particle board" does swell and fall apart when wet for some time. MDF is so good with water that most exterior trim is made from MDF, as is strip siding, like shiplap siding. I have used scrap MDF as tomato vine stakes, and it was still in good shape after a summer in the damp all the time garden. MDF is very dense, and heavy, being made from fine sawdust, not particles, and good water resistant glue. It can give off slight formaldehyde fumes until it is coated with a finish, so if anyone in your family is alergic to formaldehyde you can't use it safely, or else you have to order the formaldehyde-free form of MDF, which I found to be a little harder to work with. It sands very well, and edges finish almost as well as the faces, unlike most wood, and especially unlike plywood.

Particle board is not good to use, but almost all inexpensive furniture, including aquarium stands are made from it, with very few problems. MDF is too expensive for cheap furniture.
Old 07-27-2012, 09:40 PM   #10
PlantedRich
Planted Tank Guru

We must have a totally different lumber situation! I find MDF to be medium density fiberboard. That makes it totally bad for use around water. If I go to Lowe's and ask for MDF, I find a really smooth neat looking panel which will come apart if a cup of water is spilled on it. Is it possible there is confusion between MDF and Hardieplank? Hardie plank is for outside work as it is cementboard.

The plywood I find which is close to 3/4 inch is not really meant to be 3/4. It is 23/32 RATED but that doesn't referr to the thickness but to it being rated to span up to 23" if used vertically and 32" if used on a horizontal. Not meant to be 3/4 thick although it is close enough to confuse if not aware of the rating.
Old 07-27-2012, 11:51 PM   #11
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

MDF=medium density fiberboard. I have made dozens of cabinets, cabinet doors, book cases, etc. from it. I have dumped the scraps in my back yard where it stayed through a typical wet winter. Next spring the scraps were mildewed, but still as strong as when I dumped them. Of course if you submerse MDF in water for some period of time it eventually swells up. But, occasional wetting has no effect on it that I have ever seen. Like wood, if you use water based finish on it, the surface gets bumpy with swelled surface fibers. So, you have to sand it lightly after the first coat.

Just don't expect to build a boat out of it. And, keep in mind that it creeps badly when bent, so it doesn't work for shelves or other horizontal loaded things.
Old 07-28-2012, 01:16 AM   #12
PlantedRich
Planted Tank Guru

All I can think of is that there must be a major difference in the glue used. My first experience with MDF were recessed shelves to fit under the back side of a tub/ shower faucet. I went out to turn the water on and by the time I came back, the plumbing had leaked a quarter sized puddle. When I wiped the puddle off, the MDF had swollen an 1/8" from level. I have used MDF several places but never near water again. What we find here would not last through the first rain. It is what I use for closet shelves as it is really nice and smooth as well as being much cheaper but I always advise folks to keep it well painted.
Old 07-28-2012, 02:40 AM   #13
Jaguar
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedRich View Post
All I can think of is that there must be a major difference in the glue used. My first experience with MDF were recessed shelves to fit under the back side of a tub/ shower faucet. I went out to turn the water on and by the time I came back, the plumbing had leaked a quarter sized puddle. When I wiped the puddle off, the MDF had swollen an 1/8" from level. I have used MDF several places but never near water again. What we find here would not last through the first rain. It is what I use for closet shelves as it is really nice and smooth as well as being much cheaper but I always advise folks to keep it well painted.
The stand my tank is currently on is made of some kind of particle composite and there are large round spots of the paint/finish flaked where water has made it swell up. I think I would rather use plywood anyways...
Old 07-28-2012, 03:26 PM   #14
PlantedRich
Planted Tank Guru

I am not fond of stands with a wood tone finish which many people like but I do have one stand which even I have to like. It is made with good furniture grade 3/4 plywood and then stained a dark cherry color. There are many stand designs which are made to be more workable than beautiful! Most of mine fit that category but the really nice looking stand is just a bit more expensive if it is a major factor to you.

A good sturdy stand of good quality plywood can be made if one wants to go the extra effort of putting a nice finish on. I'm more the 2X4 builder and hate staining or painting but I still admire some of the "nice" stands as well.

This is an Oceanic tank and stand which is made using good plywood and 3/4" thick wood without any 2X4 used. It has some nicer than normal doors added to add to it but it does take some tools and techniques that many can't manage.

It really sounds like time to look at finding a used tank and stand rather than the expense and hassle of getting a stand built. A lot depends on your local market but here this tank,stand,and Eheim 2217 filter are priced at $240 which is likely to be about what you have to pay to get a nice stand built. Your local prices may vary , of course.
Old 08-18-2012, 09:56 PM   #15
Jaguar
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I have someone building the stand for me now. He came over today, we picked out a laminate color and discussed the details like hole placement for the plastic grommets. He is going to start it tomorrow and said it will hopefully be finished by the end of next weekend. It'll cost me $450. I'm super excited.

Thanks for the help everyone!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.