Do I need more light?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 10-08-2012, 01:41 AM   #1
VeeSe
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via AIM to VeeSe Send a message via MSN to VeeSe

Do I need more light?

Hi all,

I've been running my tank at the current lighting level for a few months now, and growth has been ok, but not great, especially from the staurogyne repens carpet. I'm wondering if I need to add more light somehow.

Currently, I am using the AquaticLife T5HO fixture, running one bulb at 26" or so above the substrate. It is also semi filtered by mini water lettuce floaters and glass tops. I'm not sure of what mmPAR this means the substrate is getting, but the fixture does have individual reflectors, so I'd say the reflecting capabilities are "medium". I could use Hoppy's light chart but I wanted to get some opinions on here too.

As far as other information goes, I am currently dosing 1/3 EI per week, injecting CO2 (probably not getting 30ppm though), and doing big water changes every week of about 50-60%. Tank is lightly stocked.

Thanks for any feedback! I just can't seem to get lower leaves to stay healthy, and I'm wondering if it's a light problem or a nutrient or CO2 problem. It's probably CO2 but I have to cover all my bases, and it doesn't seem like I'd get CO2 deficiency when I'm using very little amounts of light.

Old 10-08-2012, 06:00 PM   #2
nokturnalkid
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (83/100%)

Instead of getting more light, dose more and fix your co2. Dosing full ei will not hurt as ling as you keep up with your wc. Also, get yourself a dc and some 4dkh reagent and get your co2 into the 30+ ppm range. Make sure you get some good flow to distribute all that co2 to all areas of the tank. Once you fix all that, and the plants are still suffering, then think about upgrading your light. Without fixing other issues, more light will just become more of a problem.
nokturnalkid is offline   Reply With Quote