DSM with Fluorite
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Substrate

Old 10-05-2012, 09:23 AM   #1
kiera
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

DSM with Fluorite

I ordered one bag each of Eco-Complete Black and Fluorite Black Sand so that I could compare them. I'm painting the back of my tank today and will be setting hardscape into substrate tomorrow.

I prefer the look of the Fluorite but I've heard that there are some issues with water cloudiness if you don't wash the Fluorite first. I.. I don't really want to wash substrate. I was hoping that since I am doing the dry start method I could skip the washing step provided I flood my tank using a paper plate or a bowl to reduce substrate agitation.

Would this work? I'm going to be doing a fishless cycle, so I would have quite some time to wait for any cloudiness to settle, but I also don't want to deal with continued cloudiness because I didn't wash the substrate first. If that would be the case, I'll just use the Eco-Complete and save the Fluorite for a future nano.

Thanks!
kiera is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2012, 02:05 PM   #2
Sotty
Planted Member

I didn't wash flourite the first time I used and just dumped the water in (full blast garden hose filling a 55 gallon). Water was super cloudy for about 12 hours. I changed filter floss after a day. By end of day 2 it was almost completely clear. There weren't any real ongoing issues (Few hours of cloudiness and "dust" on driftwood, rocks and leaves after big replants).

That being said I have always washed it since

But definitely not the end of the world.
Sotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 02:25 PM   #3
Edub
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)

I'm using a mix of eco complete and flourite black sand in my tank, and I must say I really wish I washed the sand first. Water was SUPER cloudy for the first few days, and every time I kicked up the substrate little poofs of dust would pop up too. I've had the tank for a while now so a lot of that has been removed by the filter, but I still have to deal with sandy poofs more than I'd like. Washing substrate is a PITA, but I'm going to do it from now on.
Edub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 02:31 PM   #4
stevenjohn21
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)

I placed Flourite in my 75 gallon scape and didnt wash it either. I dont see the point in paying for the good stuff inside the bag, only to wash it down the drain. http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=192040
There was a small haze for about 1-2 days but now its all clear and i know every last goodness is still in the water :-)

“Football is a simple game; 22 men chase a ball for 90 minutes and at the end, the Germans win.” -Gary Linekar

"Some people are on the pitch! They think it's all over! It is now, it's four!" -Kenneth Wolstenholme
stevenjohn21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 03:04 PM   #5
Knotyoureality
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)

I'd recommend at least a moderate rinse; not necessary to have it run clear but definitely worth knocking the worst of the dust off.

First time I used it I didn't rinse and, as it cleared up in a couple days, I didn't understand why folks worried about rinsing it. Sure, it kicked up some clouding when I moved big plants around, but it settled, so I dealt with it.

Last month I decided to pull about 1/5 of the fluorite out of my main tank in order to put in sandy areas. NOTHING compared to moving a few plants and driftwood. Mud city. Daily filter cleaning, having to toss filter pads that should have lasted months as they got worn out being rinsed every day, big water changes, totally not worth saving a couple hours on set up by skipping rinsing.
Knotyoureality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 03:25 PM   #6
kiera
Algae Grower

Thanks for sharing your experiences; I think I'll use Eco-Complete this time and save the Fluorite for when I can rinse it outdoors. I live in an apartment, so mass rinsing isn't really possible and I just know I would resent hours of rinsing little plastic tubs in a shallow sink that doesn't have a sprayer. At my parent's house I could use a garden hose and a bunch of big aluminum pans or the like.
kiera is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dsm, fluorite