Just saying hello
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > New York

Old 10-04-2012, 06:38 AM   #1
Evilgrin
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Just saying hello

Like the title says I'm just dropping in to say hello.

I'm returning to the hobby after a 10 year break hoping to get a 55 gal planted tank setup in the next 2- 4 weeks, still need to build the stand and install some plumbing so I can make water changes a lot simpler.

I've been lurking here for a few weeks and this looks to be a very active and friendly community.
Evilgrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2012, 06:43 AM   #2
aquarist
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)

Hello and welcome!

If you want a planted aquarium you've come to the right place that's for sure! Theres tons of information on here and after you've learned what you need to there always great plants up for sale and sometime for free.

If your building your stand and doing some plumbing you should definitely start a DIY thread, people on here myself included love pictures, so if you start a thread you should put some up there and let us see what your working with =)
aquarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 01:12 PM   #3
GMYukonon24s
Planted Tank Guru

Welcome to the forum

MIAPG - Come join us - Plantedtank - MI - Greatlakesaquaria
GMYukonon24s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:11 PM   #4
Evilgrin
Planted Member

Thanks for the warm welcome.

Like I said I've been lurking in the shadows for several weeks just getting up to speed on all the terminology and how much things have changed in the last ten years or probably more accurately how much of a lack of info was available when I originally started with plants way back in '96.

As for Building the Stand for the 55 pictures will be taken through out the build process I'll be using some old reclaimed wood I have stored. Not planning on anything too fancy I'm more into function then aesthetics and my wood working skills are limited. Also planning on building my own canopy as well as my own DIY Lighting system a combo of 3watt Leds and compact fluorescent (not the spiral bulbs) that will be documented as well.

The plumbing work is more to address the odd placement of my homes main drain line being over 4 foot above the basement floor, no idea who thought that was a good idea , but I've worked out a way to get the water up and over to the drain without too much hassle if anyone is truly interested I can snap some pics of that as well when it's done.

I have tons of questions regarding not only plants but stocking options as well I have my heart set on having 10 - 15 Bosemhani Rainbows(sp) hopefully with at least 1 breeding pair but there is plenty of time before I get to that point right now i'm just mainly looking for all the information I can find.
Old 10-04-2012, 08:36 PM   #5
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

PTrader: (174/100%)

hellow EG! welcome to the forums!
Old 10-05-2012, 07:44 AM   #6
Evilgrin
Planted Member

Thanks for the warm welcome.

DIY I enjoy this aspect of the hobby almost as much as sitting back watching the fish.
I have all the wood to build my stand just need to pick up some more to build the canopy. Should be taking a lot of pics during the process will most likely start a tank journal when everything finally comes together.

My plumbing won't be anything more then getting waste water across my basement to the only drain in my basement that is about 6 feet off the basement floor, go figure not sure who's bright idea that was.

I visited a LFS not to far from me and saw some Bosmahni(sp) Rainbows up close and decided right then and there that I will have a school of at least 10 - 12 in my 55G if they pair off and mate great if not ahh well have never taken care of fry before so it will be a learning experience.

Also saw a red tiger lotus in person, there will be at least one of those in my tank as well. Over the next few weeks I will be asking a lot of questions on what fish I can also stock alongside the Rainbows and asking for help choosing plants as well.