Feeder Fish
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion > Herp (Reptiles and Amphibians)

Old 06-15-2015, 03:29 PM   #1
Skeetz
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Feeder Fish

Hi everyone! I am wondering what the best feeder fish/insects are for my turtle. I know that goldfish are bad, but are they the only ones?
Skeetz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2015, 03:37 PM   #2
Lowe
Finnex

PTrader: (2/100%)

What kind of turtle? IMO it's best to breed your own feeders whether it be guppies, platies, etc. Most, not all, feeders (mainly goldfish/rosies) carry a ton diseases pending where you get them from.

Lowe is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2015, 06:48 PM   #3
Skeetz
Algae Grower

It is a Paint.
Skeetz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2015, 03:05 AM   #4
jboone82590
Planted Member

I just went to petsmart because the 2 local stores are out of feeders but they have red eyed minnows and my turtle eats them and my friends grouper and trigger fish love them also

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
jboone82590 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2015, 03:07 AM   #5
jboone82590
Planted Member

But there are white clouds and other fish besides gold fish you can feed to your turtle that are better I think most people feed gild fish because there cheap

Old 08-12-2015, 08:19 AM   #6
roadmaster
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

If one looks at store tank's where these store bought feeder's are often kept,you can often see that they are extremely crowded affair's where numerous dead fishes are not uncommon.
If just one diseased fish is carrying a disease,parasite,bacterial pathogen,then it is not much of a stretch to imagine other fishes in these tank's are quite possibly also affected by said disease,etc.
Now ,you offer the fish to your otherwise healthy fish for consumption, and disease is transported in this way.
Raising your own feeder fish is always safer bet if one feel's they must offer feeder's.
Plenty of people raise fishes on prepared food's without too much trouble and the prepared food's are often more nutritious .
roadmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2015, 03:50 AM   #7
Diana
Planted Tank Guru

Goldfish and Rosy Red Minnows contain high levels of an enzyme, thiaminase, that destroys vitamin B-1.

If you want to feed your turtle live food, then raise your own, and rotate species of fish that you feed to him (her?). Feed the fish really well, and they will be a healthy way to feed your turtle. You can gut load the fish, too, so the turtle can get better nutrition via the food you have just fed the fish.

I do not know much about turtles, will they eat things like crickets, meal worms or flightless fruit flies? I think the wider rotation the better. But research to see if these or other critters are acceptable feed for your turtle.
Diana is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2015, 02:52 AM   #8
dpod
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

I had the lead biologist of a zoo tell me that painted turtles love to eat snails. I'd try getting a bucket of snails going, too. If there's one thing that's easy to breed, it's snails.
Old 08-15-2015, 01:15 PM   #9
jboone82590
Planted Member

Yeah I put my turtle in my 75 and he ate the crap outta some snails so now I put some in his tank every once in a while

Old 08-15-2015, 01:35 PM   #10
HDBenson
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)

I used to feed my turtles cichlid fry culls.. particularly Convict and Jack Dempsey fry(those two breed like rabbits!). I also would feed the culls to the parents 8-/.. Turtles will take earthworms, also eat appropriately sized crickets, mealworms, veggies of all kinds. Painteds are a little more carnivorous than RESs. It also depends on you painted species. Some are more carnivorous than others. Eastern and Southern painteds tend to be more carnivorous than the Central and Western species. Either way you still need to offer veggies!

I don't have aquariums. I have ecosystems in a glass box. - Hank's Tank Philosophy

Hygrophilaholic
HDBenson is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2015, 07:26 AM   #11
roadmaster
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Can't remember if the species being kept was mentioned, but I would NOT try and keep snapping turtle(s) with other species of turtles.
Other than occasionally sunning themselves on a log or other area in the wild , most turtles are not all that social.(just ain't enough log's for em all).
Goes especially true for the Snapping turtle (s).
Have kept a few snapping turtles in my time, and they have well earned reputation.
roadmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Location. As precise as you feel comfortable with.
Security Question
While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, John and his friend Sally both spotted a dalmatian inside of a truck with sirens. The animal with John and Sally is a _ _ _?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.