Filtration and lighting for threadfin rainbows?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Low Tech Forum

Old 10-03-2012, 03:33 AM   #1
wetrelief
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Filtration and lighting for threadfin rainbows?

I am starting up a low-tech planted tank for the first time. The tank is a 40g breeder (36x18x17" tall). My plans for the tank are to feature threadfin rainbowfish in a heavily planted tank. I have never kept these fish before so I am learning both about the fish requirements and the plant requirements. As far as filtration, I have read that threadfins come from swamps and backwaters with slow moving water, so I was wondering what would be a gph rate for a tank like this (i am planning on using a canister filter). The eheim 2217 is 264 gph (too high?) while the 2215 only has 164 (too low?). The concern I have is keeping a good oxygen level but not blowing the delicate fish all over the tank. Does any one have experience with these little guys?

Also, I am thinking about running cfl lighting over the tank. This lighting is new to me (I am used to saltwater lighting). What would be a good wattage to start with and how many bulbs (thinking 2-3) but more may be needed.

thanks

Last edited by wetrelief; 10-03-2012 at 03:34 AM.. Reason: edit
wetrelief is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2012, 02:08 PM   #2
Diana
Planted Tank Guru

Go with the larger filter. Roughly 5 times the tank volume per hour is about the minimum that is enough water movement to assure good gas exchange.
Get the lighting to suit the plants. As the plants grow the fish will find the right areas, with just enough shade. Once you see where they like do not prune all the tank at one time. Keep some plants a bit larger when you prune one of their areas, then prune the others once the first plants have recovered a bit. Floating plants, or plants that grow tall will provide good areas for the Threadfins.
Diana is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2012, 05:36 PM   #3
wetrelief
Algae Grower

thanks for the tips. I was wanting to go with the bigger one but again.....I just didn't want it to be too much. thanks again for the help.
wetrelief is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.