Fluval Chi 5 gal
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 02-27-2013, 05:54 AM   #1
Tinder
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

Fluval Chi 5 gal

So my Mothers birthday is in a few days, and all she wants is a nice little Fishtank for her room. She wants the Fluval Chi, so that is what I purchased. 3 guppies are the stock who are currently housed in my QT. I have some rocks, some Bio-complete Florite substrate but now I need to look into plants so it will look nice for her. Problem is that the LEDs look a bit pitiful if im honest, so Im not sure when to do. any ideas on plants, cheap lighting ideas or a different way to scape it?
Tinder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2013, 06:49 AM   #2
mistahoo
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
Default Re: Fluval Chi 5 gal

The lights and filter is trash. For plants, you'd need to rig up the light with a stronger light. You'll be able to grow low light mosses and some low light plants, but they will have poor coloring due to how weak the stock light is. If you plan on doing plastic plants and very few livestock, then this tank is okay for those purposes. If you still have the receipt, I'd trade it for a Fluval Spec V. More viable to grow plants and the filter can handle much more.

Sent from my spaceship using Tapatalk 2.
SunSun Pimp #82|RAOK Club Member #89|Eheim Pimp #543

210G|1.5G Iwagumi DSM|5G Fluval Chi
mistahoo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2013, 11:37 AM   #3
Tinder
Algae Grower

Thank you for your response. I am stuck with the Chi, as she likes how it looks and, honestly, I got a ridiculous sale on it from a LFS going out of business so I cannot return it anyway. I can attach a small canister filter to it if the Filtration is as bad as you insinuate, I think I have one locked in a trunk somewhere or something (the ones made for small tanks.) and do you think Java moss or fern would do well? I am looking into a new micro light for the tank, but the waterfall thing makes it a tad difficult. The tank is a stylish thing though, and if I can properly scape it that would be excellent.
Old 02-27-2013, 01:55 PM   #4
defender.TX
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Honestly, I would just get one of the decorations that Fluval makes to go in the Chi. They have plastic (maybe silk, not sure) plants and look generally nice. Honestly, if this is a gift for your mom I wouldn't throw a bunch of plants in it anyway; they will either rot and look gross or grow and require maintenance, both of which aren't that great for people who look at the aquarium as a decoration and not a hobby.
Old 02-28-2013, 08:29 AM   #5
mistahoo
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by defender.TX View Post
Honestly, I would just get one of the decorations that Fluval makes to go in the Chi. They have plastic (maybe silk, not sure) plants and look generally nice. Honestly, if this is a gift for your mom I wouldn't throw a bunch of plants in it anyway; they will either rot and look gross or grow and require maintenance, both of which aren't that great for people who look at the aquarium as a decoration and not a hobby.
+1 plastic decor all the way with the stock light. Even if you put java moss in there, it'll look horrendous because the lack of light. Java fern would be starving for light.

Old 02-28-2013, 08:31 AM   #6
mistahoo
Planted Tank Enthusiast

The filter can handle a few guppies. I'd say about 5 average/small sized guppies. I wouldn't try any more than that unless you add that filter.

Old 02-28-2013, 03:32 PM   #7
bluestems
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)

That's a nice of you to put together for your mom If it's in her bedroom, could it sit under a table lamp with a gro bulb in it? The water fall thingy would block some of the light, but it could only help I would think.

my little eden
7g nano, a work in progress

cherry shrimp vase

3g semi-emersed bowl

bluestems is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2013, 03:48 PM   #8
mistahoo
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestems View Post
That's a nice of you to put together for your mom If it's in her bedroom, could it sit under a table lamp with a gro bulb in it? The water fall thingy would block some of the light, but it could only help I would think.
It would help but imo it'll be a bit tacky as one part of the tank will be bright and part will be dark.

Old 02-28-2013, 04:19 PM   #9
bluestems
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistahoo View Post
It would help but imo it'll be a bit tacky as one part of the tank will be bright and part will be dark.
I think you'd keep the aquarium light on... but there would be a different color to the light most likely. Also the table lamp wouldn't be directly on top of the tank, but above it with a normal shade and a very strong (eg. over 20w fluorescent bulb) so it would appear more as room ambient light than tank light.

Just a thought since he's already got the tank and needs to work with it. It seems like this would at least help grow moss, anubias, and other low lights.

my little eden
7g nano, a work in progress

cherry shrimp vase

3g semi-emersed bowl

bluestems is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2013, 12:26 PM   #10
Tinder
Algae Grower

Thank you all for all your help, i have an anubias nana that I am going to try it out, and 3 guppys to put in once the tank is a bit more cycled. I like Bluestems Idea so i have a desk lamp with a florescent light that looks like it will def be enough for java and anubias. not to grow out my java without it dieing, because the guppies have stolen my QT days before i found ich in my main tank and then it spread... the plants are not taking it well.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.