New tank, new start :)
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 02-09-2013, 11:48 AM   #1
moorin
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

New tank, new start :)

Hello everyone, been quite a while since I was last on the forum, this was due to starting a new job, moving house and other general commitments.

I use to have a 200 litre/ 40 gal tall tank which was setup as low tech tank, which then lead into using pressurised co2 etc.

when we moved house it was time for a nicer tank so I got a great deal on a aquaone 980t from my LFS

Getting it ready for the inhabitants of the old tank

A few more plants

A full tank shot

Once the two angels were transferred they immediately started laying eggs but I think they were both female as a week later the egg layer had beaten up the other fish and stressed it so much it died to which then the other died shortly after, was a hard hit to the tank as they were the showcase fish in the tank.

I then decided to swap my co2 setup across from the old tank but change it up a little bit so I have got a pub gas bottle, dennerle Evo regulator, bubble counter, solenoid valve and a ceramic diffuser currently set at 2bps

It's been on for around 3 days and have got it settled to where I can trust it whilst I'm out of the house so just waiting on the drop checker to start turning green.

So that's we're I am at the moment the current lists are:

Fauna

4 angelfish
Assorted numbers of rummy nose, harlequins, zebra danios and dwarf rainbow fish
Golden nugget plec.

The plants I haven't really got a clue what they are but I am going to be doing a rescape soon and adding more plants aswell as upgrading the lighting to t5's soon. The tank has had an algae bloom so still trying to overcome that but I'm on the otherside of it now and things are looking better.

Any comments welcome thanks for looking

Last edited by moorin; 02-14-2013 at 12:27 PM..
moorin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2013, 09:07 AM   #2
moorin
Algae Grower

Default New tank, new start :)

Still trying to get the co2 Dialled in and I've been repositioning my powerhead to blow the bubbles around the tank better but I had my little helper with me

And here is a dirty tank shot before water change and hopefully some more plants today.

Old 02-10-2013, 05:37 PM   #3
moorin
Algae Grower

Ended up doing a little DIY to fit my new light unit, ended up buying a 96w t5 light unit with 6500k bulbs.

Had to remove the old t8 fixture and then hack the lid to make it fit but looks great now it's complete

Old 02-11-2013, 03:36 PM   #4
moorin
Algae Grower

Ran the tank last night with the new lighting unit and hit a problem straight away..... The unit produces alot of heat and the hood does let alot out so this is the mod I have done to combat the unit getting too hot

I used a 240v - 12v 500ma adapter to power the two fans but they seem
To be quite noisy as they are running flat out so I turned them round to try and quiet the air noise as they are now blowing into the tank instead of blowing out.

Still too noisy so going to get a resistor from work to try and slow them down to quieten the fans.

A little question for anyone who can be bothered to comment :P

Some of my plants now with the brighter lights have started to melt, is this due to the old growth dying off ready for the faster newer growth to come through? Or is it that they need more nutrients with the higher light?

Thanks
Old 02-12-2013, 03:10 PM   #5
moorin
Algae Grower

Thinking of upgrading the stock filtration anyone have any recommendations for a 48 gallon tank!?

Also ordered some ferts and root tabs, along with 4 pots of dwarf hair grass, a couple of bunches of rotala najean and some ordinary rotala sp "green" as I want to start heading in a Dutch theme with the tank but not totally as I have the bogwood etc.

Thanks
Old 02-12-2013, 03:22 PM   #6
Brian Mc
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

Nice tank and light mod job there. I have always used eheim classics due to simple design with no bypass and they are pretty bulletproof. I have been happy with them but I am running a 2217 on a 46 and don't feel it is enough circulation. If I had it to do over I would step up to the next level eheims. A lot of people here like their aquatops and fluvals.
Brian Mc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2013, 03:53 PM   #7
moorin
Algae Grower

Thanks I don't know whether to keep the stock filtration and add a canister that will have the suction near the original filter and then the outlet going into the last filter box so it's concealed or dumping the stock filtration all together. I have had eheims in the past and loved them apart from the ugly green hoses
Old 02-12-2013, 05:29 PM   #8
GMYukonon24s
Planted Tank Guru

Nice start to this setup!

MIAPG - Come join us - Plantedtank - MI - Greatlakesaquaria
GMYukonon24s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2013, 09:48 AM   #9
moorin
Algae Grower

Did a 70% water change and a tiny rescape ( if you can call it that) yesterday before my night shift

Cleaned all the algae from the leaves, wood, glass and gravel but that picture was just afterwards so looks cloudy.

Then my DHG arrived when I got in this morning so planted that and pretty impressed just hope it grows well!

Old 02-13-2013, 06:39 PM   #10
moorin
Algae Grower

Woke up to find some hair grass just doesn't want to be in the substrate, oh well ill just replant it again lol
Old 02-20-2013, 08:34 AM   #11
moorin
Algae Grower

Weekly water change along with some
New plants and I bought 3 zebra snails to graze on the algae at their leasure

Old 02-23-2013, 07:57 AM   #12
moorin
Algae Grower

Bit of a change around and some more plants

The algae infest leaves have started to die off on my crypts etc and the new co2 and better lighting leaves are coming through so can't wait for it to grow in

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.