My Clado carpet - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Algae

Old 12-23-2012, 08:04 PM   #31
jflng
PTO

PTrader: (81/100%)

I would love to be able to dose Excel or H2O2, but that would destroy everything. It also doesn't solve the root problem anyway (whatever that is). I'll try a blackout on a sample piece as suggested, but have little hope for that. I didn't know that worked on Marimo balls, so it's worth a try.

It could be just a different phase of the same algae, but I would think this would have happened a long time ago if it were prone transforming.

I try to remove the bad stuff manually, but I think that makes the problem worse. Every time I pull some out, little pieces break off and are dispersed around the tank. That's probably why it's covering almost everything now.

I'm also attempting a mass exodus of the trumpet snails in this tank. They could be a problem, I suppose. I'm sure there are tons of them hiding in the substrate.

As for the lighting, I'm not sure if I should increase or decrease the photoperiod, or if I should raise or lower the lights. Lessening the light levels would probably just slow the growth of all algae in the tank, but probably wouldn't do much harm to the unwanted algae. The good algae seemed to like light. The lamps are getting old, so maybe its not getting enough light? If that's the case, it might be a good idea to increase light levels.

It's a shame this is happening. I hope i can fix it. If I manage to get it back in line, and grow a complete, lush algae carpet, I expect to win some kind of master algae grower award. But don't start planning it for me yet, guys. I'm pretty sure it's doomed. We'll see.
jflng is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2012, 08:43 PM   #32
samee
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)

clado.......I hate you so much.

Darn thing got into my tank and for a whole year I battled it. Once it gets on your gravel, it never lets go. So frikkin annoying. Its not like other algaes. It prefers perfect tank conditions and grows like a plant. So out competing it with other plants is not really possible. co2 overdose, light outs all dont work much. I had to take out everything and restart.

I guess thats one way to go. Although that pic does give me shivers.
samee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 11:16 PM   #33
auban
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

im the crazy that is actually growing clado out and using it in my tanks... not just any kind, the nasty kind.

here is something you may want to try before you give up: germicidal bulbs. dont go and replace your lighting, and by all means, remove your shrimp before treating it, but if you expose clado to UV-C it will burn the crap out of it. for me, a ten minute exposure is enough to kill it outright. now, you will end up with some of your favored type dying as well, but if there is enough of it, it should be able to recover. the light cant penetrate very fare into organic matter.

this means that you will also want to drain your tank to a few inches in order to use UV-C as a spot treatment. dissolved organic solids can block UV outright.

generally speaking, this is not an acceptable method for treating a planted tank with since it severely damages whatever tissue it hits, but if you run out of options you dont really have much to lose.
auban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 03:12 AM   #34
karce87
Long-time Lurker

PTrader: (24/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to karce87

I just threw out a big clump of java moss with clado in there. The shrimps like it a lot but I don't. So I decided to spend time picking the clado off of the moss. One hour in, I just gave up. Hate it so bad!
karce87 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 03:34 AM   #35
jflng
PTO

PTrader: (81/100%)

We all hate clado sometimes, but the shrimp appreciate it. I wouldn't dare stick moss in this tank.

Germicidal bulbs, eh? Interesting idea. I'm not sure I'll go that route though. I don't want to buy the lamps or remove the shrimp. If the tank gets out of hand, I'll probably tear it down, and restart it with normal plants.
jflng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 06:45 AM   #36
auban
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

i have spent a LOT of time trying to grow algae. consequentially, i have figured out a lot of ways to kill it.

you could always just succumb to the algae and...

auban is offline   Reply With Quote