My Clado carpet - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Algae

Old 10-04-2012, 05:19 PM   #16
jflng
PTO

PTrader: (83/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenjohn21 View Post
cant wait to see it in another 2 years !
Haha, hopefully I'll have something more to show for it in 2 years.

stevenjohn21:
I don't dose the tank at all. Maybe I should start.

mistergreen:
It smells like what I remember regular clado smelling like - not very good. Do Mirimo balls stink as well?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiki
Another growth form lives as free-floating filaments, as small tufts of unattached filaments that frequently form a carpet on the muddy lake bottom.
Wikipedia's picture doesn't really help much, and their description isn't as in-depth as I would prefer either. The algae in my tank seems pretty well fused together. I'm not sure if it matches or not. I might have to buy a moss ball to compare with.
jflng is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2012, 07:25 PM   #17
TexasCichlid
Surrounded by Blyxa

PTrader: (27/100%)

Not all moss balls are created equal. That looks to be the same as a moss ball I have. Very slow growing. I have seen some moss balls that were obviously not the same. You want "fuzzy" looking moss balls and not "stringy" looking moss balls. I do not know what causes the difference. I bought mine from aquaticmagic on evilbay, it's about the size of a small orange now. Bought it as a "giant marimo" and it was a little bigger than a golfball.
TexasCichlid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:02 PM   #18
jflng
PTO

So, some moss balls are created from different species of algae? I can see that happening in a river bottom. I guess if you wanted, you could fashion a ball from anything. Wabi Kusa algae balls, anyone?
Old 10-09-2012, 02:08 AM   #19
Hidden Walrus
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I think the "stringy" moss balls, at least the ones I've seen, are made by wrapping java moss on a round surface. I think there is only one true algae "moss" ball. Your carpet looks just like my moss ball does. I think that they're probably the same species. They only grow round with lots of constant current bouncing them around, and if you don't rotate them in your tank they flatten in time. Eventually it would come to look like in your tank. Which looks really neat, I'm sure the shrimp love it. Mine are always picking at their little moss ball but your herd has a whole field to graze.
Hidden Walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 03:00 AM   #20
AVN
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)

http://www(dot)ebay(dot)com/itm/Green-blanket-moss-pad-8x8cm-Live-aquarium-plant-fren-/140574174088

This looks like it. Can't find anything else about it though.
AVN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 01:08 AM   #21
jflng
PTO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiki
The genus Cladophora contains many species that are very hard to tell apart and classify, mainly because of the great variation in their appearances, which is affected by habitat, age and environmental conditions
They list these species:

Cladophora aegagrophila
Cladophora albida
Cladophora brasiliana
Cladophora catenata
Cladophora coelothrix
Cladophora columbiana
Cladophora dalmatica
Cladophora fracta
Cladophora glomerata
Cladophora graminea
Cladophora montagneana
Cladophora ordinata
Cladophora prolifera
Cladophora rupestris
Cladophora scopaeformis
Cladophora sericea
Cladophora vagabunda

Quite a bit more than I thought.

Nice find AVN. It does look like the stuff I have (and a flattened moss ball).

Pic from link for reference:
Old 10-11-2012, 01:23 AM   #22
AVN
Wannabe Guru

I think you'd be interested to know that when I ripped the "green blanket moss" from the mesh and let it grow floating, it did not form a ball, and instead started to attach itself to the substrate.

Based on this, I don't think it's the same as the Marimo Moss ball... they have different textures. The moss balls are soft and spongy whilst this blanket moss is stringy and tightly packed.
Old 10-11-2012, 11:26 PM   #23
jflng
PTO

Ah, so you have some of this "blanket moss." Even if you let it free float, as H. Walrus mentioned, it needs decent current to form a ball.

You may be correct on the texture. It's been a long time since I've been in the presence of a moss ball, so it's difficult for me to compare.
Old 10-12-2012, 01:21 AM   #24
AVN
Wannabe Guru

I tied it to the airline using fishing line so it was endlessly rolling in gentle bubbles, but it never really got much bigger, or formed a sphere.

when I let it sit on the surface of the substrate it just attaches itself and spreads.
Old 10-12-2012, 02:07 AM   #25
Bruce_S
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

In the gardens of Japan, moss is often used to provide a cool, soothing green carpet below everything from small azaleas to maples and red pines, surrounding and capping powerful stones . . .

You've got the beginnings of the same look going on here. This could be very, very good.

~Bruce
Bruce_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 03:44 AM   #26
mistergreen
No more Bow ties

PTrader: (13/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVN View Post
I tied it to the airline using fishing line so it was endlessly rolling in gentle bubbles, but it never really got much bigger, or formed a sphere.

when I let it sit on the surface of the substrate it just attaches itself and spreads.
It has to roll on the substrate I believe. It's like stones in the dessert. The wind blows the rocks and it would roll round.
mistergreen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 03:56 AM   #27
rollinghills
Planted Member

PTrader: (9/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVN View Post
http://www(dot)ebay(dot)com/itm/Green-blanket-moss-pad-8x8cm-Live-aquarium-plant-fren-/140574174088

This looks like it. Can't find anything else about it though.
So you bought some of these? I've always wanted something exactly like this but people say Marimo ball doesn't attach to substrate and will just float. So this one actually sinks when you detach it from the mesh? Awesome if true.
rollinghills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 11:18 PM   #28
jakevwapp84
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)

can you post a picture of your current tank im interested to see how its doing
jakevwapp84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 08:50 AM   #29
jflng
PTO

It's not doing good at all. My algae now has algae. It's developing a different, fluffier, longer type of clado all over the surface, and I'm not exactly sure how to remedy that. I haven't changed a thing, so I'm not sure of the cause. If anything, I've been taking better care of the tank lately. I'm not sure I can save it, but I'm trying.
Old 12-23-2012, 03:26 PM   #30
DarkCobra
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

Wow, I just saw this thread for the first time. Amazing! Sorry to hear it's not doing well now.

I've had my Marimo balls invaded by various algae a few times. This is easy to treat. In their native habitat, they can survive months without light, during winter when the water is iced over. So I put them in a bucket of water in the closest for a week or two. The Marimo doesn't mind at all, and the invasive algae dies.

I've also had the long, invasive clado in java moss. This too was easy to treat, by moving it to a bucket with AlgaeFix for three days.

But your case is an odd one. All chemical treatments are completely out of the question, leaving only the option of blackout. But I have no idea what the blackout tolerance of invasive clado is. Or if your blanketing clado is the same as Marimo ball clado, and has the same tolerance. It's even possible there's only one type of clado present in your tank, and that it's changing form as a natural part of its life cycle.

I would experimentally remove a chunk of it, with both the desirable and undesirable form/species, to a bucket for a one-week blackout. Then return it to the tank, wait another week, and see what happens.
DarkCobra is offline   Reply With Quote