Sulfuric Bog Tank -- what is causing this???
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fertilizers and Water Parameters

Old 10-02-2012, 06:15 PM   #1
HighDesert
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (53/98%)

Sulfuric Bog Tank -- what is causing this???

I have a mystery on my hands... I have a 10 gallon guppy tank, very lightly populated (3 adults, two sub-adults and two juvies, plus brand-new fry). A mystery snail (added after said stink started). Same substrate as several of my other tanks (Turface), same ferts, same plants, everything. Except for the guppies inhabiting it. This thing STINKS. It smells highly sulfuric. Like I have a volcano in my living room. The parameters are PERFECT, there is plenty of air flow, the plants aren't rotting. The inhabitants are incredibly healthy and energetic. They popped out fry, which are equally healthy and energetic. I've tried almost everything -- nearly complete water changes, swapping out filter media for stuff from a non-odoriferous tank... you name it. I need to figure out what is going on here, because this thing is offensive. I may just move it somewhere else, since everyone and everything seems happy, but BLEH!
HighDesert is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2012, 07:01 PM   #2
stevenjohn21
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)

I had the same horrific smell on one of my tanks last week. I changed 30-40% of the water with cooler water and the smell went away. I think whatever caused it reacted even more with the heat inside and outside of the tank. Ive turned off our AC indoors so the room temp is around 78-80 in that room.

“Football is a simple game; 22 men chase a ball for 90 minutes and at the end, the Germans win.” -Gary Linekar

"Some people are on the pitch! They think it's all over! It is now, it's four!" -Kenneth Wolstenholme
stevenjohn21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2012, 07:11 PM   #3
AquariumNoob
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

I Would suggest taking a long marshmellow stick or something and poking holes in the substrate. Could be you have gas pockets in your substrate slowly being released into the water. Vent the substrate a bit and then do a water change.
Maybe thatll help o_0

Eheim Pimp # 434
One 75G Powered by Two 2217's, two 20L Shrimp Tanks, and a 10G QT Tank!
AquariumNoob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2012, 07:30 PM   #4
BruceF
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)

I would think that something may have died and you haven't found it. Got snails maybe?
BruceF is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2012, 08:16 PM   #5
HighDesert
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (53/98%)

Quote:
I think whatever caused it reacted even more with the heat inside and outside of the tank. Ive turned off our AC indoors so the room temp is around 78-80 in that room.
I do have to wonder if it has something to do with the room temp. Since I set up the tank, it hasn't been below 69 degrees in there, more often being up around 75.

Quote:
I Would suggest taking a long marshmellow stick or something and poking holes in the substrate. Could be you have gas pockets in your substrate slowly being released into the water. Vent the substrate a bit and then do a water change.
I'll give this a try. It very well could be gas bubbles. I have noticed that the Turface does hold air somewhat more aggressively than other substrates. I need to rescape it anyway, so maybe I'll just take everyone out and stir up really well.

Quote:
I would think that something may have died and you haven't found it. Got snails maybe?
It's not a gross decaying snail/fish/plant matter smell. It truly smells like sulfur gas. I've had the tank up for several months now and it's been there pretty much from the get-go. It started before there were any fish or inverts in there. It was very slight. I changed filter systems and that didn't have an effect on it. It isn't in the filter. It seems to be coming off the water. Our water is sulfur-free (well, as much as ground water can be, anyway). I'm almost wondering if it got seeded with some non-harmful, very stinky bacteria that just keeps burping out this stink. I may pull all of the substrate and start over completely.
HighDesert is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2012, 08:20 PM   #6
stevenjohn21
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)

Maybe its the "Mutant Strain" Glosso !!!! ha ha , thats its secret ingredient ;-)

“Football is a simple game; 22 men chase a ball for 90 minutes and at the end, the Germans win.” -Gary Linekar

"Some people are on the pitch! They think it's all over! It is now, it's four!" -Kenneth Wolstenholme
stevenjohn21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2012, 12:37 AM   #7
keithy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)

I think it is anaerobic pocket. A lot of times, it happens because of substrate compaction. Try a search on this in the substrate section and you'll see this mentioned.
Old 10-03-2012, 12:39 AM   #8
AirstoND
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

Some suggestions have been repeated:

1) Do you replace carbon cartridge in water filter?
2) Poke at substrate
3) Airstone
4) Circulation, is current in general cw or ccw to stir and minimize stagnant anaerobic corners
5) Do Water conditioners have high thiol sulfates? Do you overdose, and not do sufficient water changes or gravel siphoning?
AirstoND is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.