Buying a tank "Kit"
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 10-03-2012, 03:26 AM   #1
tinkerpuppet
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

Buying a tank "Kit"

I'm looking at getting a new tank, a 29gal should fit perfectly on my stand.

I have seen a couple of 'kits'. One that comes with tank & hood (with one fluorescent tube light), and one that comes with the same type hood/light, and also the heater, filter and misc bits and bobs.

I don't need the bits and bobs, but I will need a hood, light, filter and heater.

So are these kits worth it, or am I better off to source out my own equipment? My plan is just for a low tech, basic plants tank.

(I think Marineland made the tank/hood combo and Tetra was the full starter kit).
tinkerpuppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2012, 03:59 AM   #2
Gooberfish
Planted Tank Obsessed

Send a message via AIM to Gooberfish

You could probably get by with a low tech setup with the kit, but I recommend buying everything individually. The kits usually have the most minimal of equipment. I started out buying a 10g kit and have replaced everything by now lol
Gooberfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 04:08 AM   #3
AquariumNoob
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

I think youd be better getting a 29G at the 1$/Gallon sale @ Petco.
Im not a fan of the hoods and lights that come with the kits. I Prefer the glass tops. While they are a PITA and are prone to breakage (yes, ive broken a door on my 75G :/) and tend to get hard water buildup on em from splashing (Same with the plastic hoods though), its cool because you have the option of moving the light around as well as adding lights in the future, rather than the plastic hood which only has the little slot for the lights that are built specifically for that hood..
Plus, you can buy quality everything and still come out at around the same price as a kit, haha.

Eheim Pimp # 434
One 75G Powered by Two 2217's, two 20L Shrimp Tanks, and a 10G QT Tank!
AquariumNoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 04:25 AM   #4
Bluek24a4
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

I think its always better to source your own equipment. Those kits are usually expensive and come with lower quality stuff. The filters are usually junk.

Get a tank at a $1 per gallon sale as previously mentioned, a used filter off of here or pick up a new Aquaclear, decide if you even need a heater, and get one of those glass hoods. You can get a light from anywhere. Or you could find the regular florescent light and plastic hood second hand from someone who upgraded and wants to get rid of them.
Bluek24a4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 05:07 AM   #5
tinkerpuppet
Planted Tank Obsessed

We don't have that sale at Petco in Canada

Full starter kit is out. I really don't need the little extras and choosing my own filter and heater would be better (and with winter almost here, a heater is a definite necessity!).

I know my LFS has a better selection of plain tanks then the chain store I was at (the 29gal size only came in kits). I'll be there tomorrow and will price out the difference. I would think that even getting the stock hood/fluorescent light fixture it would be an easy fix to swap the bulb if I need.

Thanks!
Old 10-03-2012, 05:17 AM   #6
bitFUUL
Aquaponics FTW!

PTrader: (18/100%)

Go piece by piece, most people with kits end up upgrading things anyways.

[50g][30g][18g][12g][11.4g][7.5g][7.13g][5.5g][4.1g][3g] - [grow][pond]
bitFUUL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 05:22 AM   #7
Bluek24a4
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerpuppet View Post
We don't have that sale at Petco in Canada

Full starter kit is out. I really don't need the little extras and choosing my own filter and heater would be better (and with winter almost here, a heater is a definite necessity!).

I know my LFS has a better selection of plain tanks then the chain store I was at (the 29gal size only came in kits). I'll be there tomorrow and will price out the difference. I would think that even getting the stock hood/fluorescent light fixture it would be an easy fix to swap the bulb if I need.

Thanks!
I've gotten most of my tanks second hand from places like Craigslist. That's another way to get a like-new tank.
Bluek24a4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 05:02 PM   #8
tinkerpuppet
Planted Tank Obsessed

Little update, I ended up with a kit, lol!

I was at a seminar at my LFS last night, and noticed they had an advertisement for a 29gal kit. I went to have a look, and the salesgirl thought they were sold out. I told her what price the ad said, and she said 'oh no, that can't be right'. But checked it out on the computer, and sure enough I was right. I ended up getting an Aqueon 29gal Deluxe Kit for only $30 more then the tank by itself (which was also on sale), and for $45 less then the basic kit! And I got a double reward points at my LFS which add up quick, and I got a $10 fish voucher!

Even if I replace some stuff, I'm still ahead of the game (again, keep in mind prices in Canada are much higher and we don't have a $1/gal sale!).
Old 10-17-2012, 05:49 AM   #9
golfer_d
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

What store did you get your tank at? That sounds like a pretty good sale!
golfer_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 05:56 AM   #10
SpecGrrl
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerpuppet View Post
Little update, I ended up with a kit, lol!

I was at a seminar at my LFS last night, and noticed they had an advertisement for a 29gal kit. I went to have a look, and the salesgirl thought they were sold out. I told her what price the ad said, and she said 'oh no, that can't be right'. But checked it out on the computer, and sure enough I was right. I ended up getting an Aqueon 29gal Deluxe Kit for only $30 more then the tank by itself (which was also on sale), and for $45 less then the basic kit! And I got a double reward points at my LFS which add up quick, and I got a $10 fish voucher!

Even if I replace some stuff, I'm still ahead of the game (again, keep in mind prices in Canada are much higher and we don't have a $1/gal sale!).
Yay über bargain!
SpecGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 01:08 PM   #11
senior el roboto
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquariumNoob View Post
I think youd be better getting a 29G at the 1$/Gallon sale @ Petco.
Im not a fan of the hoods and lights that come with the kits. I Prefer the glass tops. While they are a PITA and are prone to breakage (yes, ive broken a door on my 75G :/) and tend to get hard water buildup on em from splashing (Same with the plastic hoods though), its cool because you have the option of moving the light around as well as adding lights in the future, rather than the plastic hood which only has the little slot for the lights that are built specifically for that hood..
Plus, you can buy quality everything and still come out at around the same price as a kit, haha.
Where is this sale going on at? Looked on their website and didn't find anything.
senior el roboto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 06:13 PM   #12
tinkerpuppet
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfer_d View Post
What store did you get your tank at? That sounds like a pretty good sale!
Its at a local store, Pisces (in Calgary). I was there a couple days ago and they still had it going, not sure if they got more stock in?