Peat Moss NPT?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Low Tech Forum

Old 11-20-2012, 05:33 PM   #1
babystarz
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Peat Moss NPT?

I have bought a bag of peat moss to experiment with in my next two 10 gal NPT's. I want to see if I can create a stable low pH environment. If I'm successful, I will be able to keep more species of finnicky wild bettas.

I am not sure how to set up this tank. Should I do a layer of soil, then peat moss, then a sand cap? Skip the soil? Skip the sand cap? How thick should the peat layer be?

If anyone has done something similar, I would love to see pics and hear how you went about it.
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2012, 06:01 PM   #2
PaulG
Planted Tank Obsessed

My latest no tech has a majority peat soil mix (60%). It's just soil then gravel cap. It's a test to see where the ph and hardness ends up before I add fish.

Got a tank? Doing it filterless? Add it here!

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=221729
PaulG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 07:42 PM   #3
babystarz
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulG View Post
My latest no tech has a majority peat soil mix (60%). It's just soil then gravel cap. It's a test to see where the ph and hardness ends up before I add fish.
Thanks, I went ahead and mixed 80% peat with 20% soil and a play sand cap. I usually prefer fine grain sand but I was worried it wouldn't hold the peat down. The peat actually did puff up after I added the sand, even though I wetted it down first. So it looks like 3" of peat/soil, when it was really 1". I'm thinking maybe it will settle down eventually.

I have an old filter going and used 1/3 old tank water. I'll test the pH tomorrow and see where it's at.
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.